• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Do you use your left foot for braking?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I find myself using my left foot for braking sometimes when driving.

Do you drive with 2 feet all the time, sometimes, or never (always right foot).

Clutch doesn't count...

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Right footer. Left foot firmly planted on the dead pedal, where it belongs.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Never. Unless I'm pumping / bleeding brakes and my right leg gets tired.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Never! Replaced too many brakes and brake lights for those who "rest "their foot on the pedal. They always say they don't really have the brake on but need to be quick on the pedal if needed. By dragging the brakes they are less effective when needed.

RNE228

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
No. Always drive with right foot when using an auto. Of course, use the left foot on the clutch in the other car...

I did try it once. I dislocated my right knee, and was in a brace. I could use the right foot on the gas.

First time I went to use the left foot on the brake, locked them up :D

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
For the record, I don't have my foot hovering over the pedal. I just find that I use my left foot now and then.

For all the naysayers, how about when you're backing up a trailer, especially into a tight space? That's when I normally have the left foot at the ready.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Well maybe for hitching or putting the plow on the truck. Left foot gets used for steering the tractors or backhoe in snow or mud sometimes. When you run old pedal steer dozers or crawler loaders you have to use it steer and brake. Right foot is for the decelerator. Broke my big toe on right foot while horsing in the water with boy scouts at summer camp. Was a real PIA driving home using left foot for everything.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I use my right foot for braking even when backing my trailers.

When my daily driver was a standard and I switched to an automatic for the day I have put myself on my nose by going for the clutch in a vehicle that does not have a clutch and hit the brakes instead. Whoaaaaa. Hate when I do that.... & so does my wife. :hide:

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
For the record, I don't have my foot hovering over the pedal. I just find that I use my left foot now and then.

For all the naysayers, how about when you're backing up a trailer, especially into a tight space? That's when I normally have the left foot at the ready.

I will plead guilty on that one [though ussually a manual transmission then anyway], but never while driving.

Like Doc however, if driving more manual than automatic for a while, I find myself putting my left foot through air sometimes when in an automatic - I haven't had the unpleasant experience of catching the brake instead though. Yikes, Doc, that could almost warrant a fresh set of underwear! :eek: