• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Video of the Mini-Trac in use in Antarctica

sports850

This is the only footage recorded of the Mini-Trac in use when it was trialed by the ANARE at Wilkes base in Antarctica in December 1965 (and quite likely the only footage of it in use anywhere for that matter) . I was very fortunate to be sent a copy of this while researching the history of it which is all in a 4 page article in the next issue of "The Mini Experience" due out on December 19 this year . I won't be revealing anything about it's construction till the mag comes out but it was truly an amazing vehicle and it performed well in all conditions .

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F961y5Npsv4"]YouTube - Mini-Trac at Wilkes Antarctic Base 1965 .[/ame]

Enjoy
:mrgreen:

couchloafer

SUPER Site Supporter
See the snow tracs in the back ground !
Any more footage that shows additional snow tracs?
please~!

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Awesome. Who'd have ever guessed a Mini would have been part of Antarctic history.

But I agree with couchloafer, we need more video!!!

sports850

Sorry to dissapoint guy's but the only other things on the tape (according to the guy who gave me that bit) were weather recording equipment , penguins , ice and diesel generating plants .... The filmer was a weather observer and diesel mechanic who thought the Mini-Trac was cute , other sno-trac's and the like were boring as he'd seen them before . I did think of everyone here though but no joy .

couchloafer

SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks again for the video!
Where can a guy get a copy of "The Mini Experience" with your article?

sports850

Well the magazine has been released , the Mini-Trac even made the front cover ,

cover-2.jpg

along with 4 pages inside and also a center spread A3 poster . I have put the forums web address in the article as well so can't post scans of the article as it's still availible in the shops and I don't own the copyright ...

sports850

Unfortunately not bulldog , I'm hoping the article (especially with the photo on the front) will remind someone of what happened to it , I'm waiting with baited breath for a "I remember seeing that thing in Joe Smiths shed at Thredbo in the 70's" or similar . I have checked with historians and workers at all the ski towns in Australia along with all organisations and agencies that could have used it and come up blank . I've also tried all the vehicle wreckers around the ski fields as it could possibly have been reverted back to a road mini but been obvious with the raised door openings (to clear the track guards) .

There was one sent to Canada (through Terry's contacts with Nodwell when he was getting chassis from them) and I think Pixie found it for sale , it's now just a modified mini body on a Bombardier sidewalk plow chassis . There's a chance it isn't but it's too much of a coincidence for it not to be it really with all the same mods to the body .

sports850

I am really hoping someone still has it and sees/hears of the article and decides it needs to be amongst it's mini family . Even if I don't get it I hope someone finds it and restores it .

As for the Snow-tracs look higher up in this thread , they've already been noticed .

sports850

Woops , how did these find their way into photobucket ....

page48.jpg

page49.jpg

page50.jpg

page51.jpg

Still can't find the damned thing but haven't given up looking yet . The steering fault mentioned in the article was the morris 850 brakes on the rearmost wheel on each side didn't handle the cold and froze up a couple of times during testing . They were a single leading shoe brake with a single wheel cylinder per hub (unlike later mini brakes) .