• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

New tablet!

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
Just bought one of these for $429: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IAAALFG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1"]Amazon.com : ASUS Transformer Book T100TA-H2-GR 10.1" Detachable 2-in-1 Touchscreen Laptop, 64GB+500GB (Grey) : Computers & Accessories[/ame] .

Love the 500 GB hd in the docking station concept and getting Office included for that price it was a no brainer. Dunno if it will replace my laptop, but it should be a good travel companion.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Good find JP. My main laptop died this week. I'm in the market for something else. Price on Amazon for that one now is 540. You got a deal.
And for the tablet to work that way the 500gb must be in the touch screen. Wild. I suppose it's solid state / no moving parts. If so that is way cool. Congrats.

jpr62902

SUPER Site Supporter
Good find JP. My main laptop died this week. I'm in the market for something else. Price on Amazon for that one now is 540. You got a deal.
And for the tablet to work that way the 500gb must be in the touch screen. Wild. I suppose it's solid state / no moving parts. If so that is way cool. Congrats.

The tablet has a 64 GB SSD, and a Micro SD slot for an additional 64 GB of flash memory. I'm pretty sure the 500 GB drive in the keyboard is an HDD. You can hear it spin up when you connect the keyboard.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Ahhh ok. Thanks for the scoop on that. Had I paid attention to the detail on the link I would have seen: Storage Capacity: 64GB Solid-State in tablet, 500GB Hard Drive in dock. Kewl concept.

jpr62902

SUPER Site Supporter
Here we are 17 months later, and this machine has performed quite well! I take it on dive trips and watch movies during the flights, and upload my GoPro dive vids to it, and then hook the tablet up to a big screen to watch the vids later.

It also serves as a Kindle, but it doesn't do so well in direct sunlight. You need a Paperwhite for that.

All in all, a great purchase. Highly recommended! :thumb:

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Here we are 17 months later, and this machine has performed quite well! I take it on dive trips and watch movies during the flights, and upload my GoPro dive vids to it, and then hook the tablet up to a big screen to watch the vids later.

It also serves as a Kindle, but it doesn't do so well in direct sunlight. You need a Paperwhite for that.

All in all, a great purchase. Highly recommended! :thumb:

Thanks for the update.

I may be in the market for a new device for this summer's trips. I wouldn't say that I am disillusioned with the I-pad Mini but find it "limited", mainly if you have to do any serious work type stuff on it. It's great for checking emails and keeping up to date but using a stylus or hunt and peck typing can get old in a hurry. I just got a bluetooth keyboard that works with it. We'll see how that goes but I'll probably get something new for the summer. Might even go back to a full lap top.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I have the asus eee pad transformer tablet with detachable keyboard. I hadn't done much with it since it basically sat beside the bed for something to mess around on at night before shutting down and going to sleep. I was getting the itch for a new laptop with touch screen and then it dawned on me that I had the tablet sitting there barely getting used. I was getting frustrated with the tablet since every time I looked at it I would have to wait for sometimes a good ten minutes before it went through all the automatic updates etc. I decided a factory restore was in order. The tablet was running an older slower version of android. I looked and found a nice app that basically turns it into a windows 10 system. It's taken some getting used to but I haven't turned on the laptop in two weeks now and have been using the transformer as my main unit. I like the fact that the main screen holds a battery life of around 9 hrs and the keyboard itself has another 9. So I can go days without charging it. It's also very portable and can basically simulate the laptop in most areas.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

jpr62902

SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks for the update.

I may be in the market for a new device for this summer's trips. I wouldn't say that I am disillusioned with the I-pad Mini but find it "limited", mainly if you have to do any serious work type stuff on it. It's great for checking emails and keeping up to date but using a stylus or hunt and peck typing can get old in a hurry. I just got a bluetooth keyboard that works with it. We'll see how that goes but I'll probably get something new for the summer. Might even go back to a full lap top.

I have the asus eee pad transformer tablet with detachable keyboard. I hadn't done much with it since it basically sat beside the bed for something to mess around on at night before shutting down and going to sleep. I was getting the itch for a new laptop with touch screen and then it dawned on me that I had the tablet sitting there barely getting used. I was getting frustrated with the tablet since every time I looked at it I would have to wait for sometimes a good ten minutes before it went through all the automatic updates etc. I decided a factory restore was in order. The tablet was running an older slower version of android. I looked and found a nice app that basically turns it into a windows 10 system. It's taken some getting used to but I haven't turned on the laptop in two weeks now and have been using the transformer as my main unit. I like the fact that the main screen holds a battery life of around 9 hrs and the keyboard itself has another 9. So I can go days without charging it. It's also very portable and can basically simulate the laptop in most areas.

Another plus is this machine runs a full Windows OS. Mine's on Windows 8.1 right now, but I'll upgrade to 10 now that they've worked out some of the kinks. Details to follow.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
The app I downloaded is called Win 10 launcher. My original android OS is still there in the background but I set it to default to the windows 10 app. It's not exactly the same as the laptop but close enough.