• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

The day the music died.....

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Today, 1959.
Holly, Valens, Bopper.

Valens flipped a coin with Waylon Jennings for the last seat.

I remember pops telling mom about it. I was 4 at the time. I don't remember much from when I was younger, I was a sickly kid, but I remember pops was very sad.

fwiw.
Pops also took mom and me to see the Beatles at Comisky Park. Maybe 1965?

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
I was twelve at the time. I read later on the web the coin toss really bothered Waylon for the rest of his life because when he lost the toss the bopper told him he hoped he froze on the bus and Waylon said "yeah, well, I hope your plane crashes". That song has always been a favorite of mine. If you google the song title there's some interesting interpretations of the verses.
Mike

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Fred, thanks for remembering.

Mike, I was also 12.

Jim

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I was also 12 and living in Aberdeen, Scotland but news like that even filtered through to there.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
The aircraft was named "Miss American Pie" right next to the cabin door.
So ya some of it is Guess as to what was written and why.

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
The aircraft was named "Miss American Pie" right next to the cabin door.
So ya some of it is Guess as to what was written and why.
This is a myth, which ironically arose because of McLean's song. People speculated McLean picked that name because that was
the name of pilot Roger Peterson's plane but that plane, identified by the call sign "Nine Four November", had no name.
Nice story but that's all it is ... a story.