• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

HELP needed / Sheet metal question Snow Master

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
I have been working on my Snow Master now for a bit and she will be ready for the BIGAL paint shop here real soon. I have realized that I need to reskin my decks to have them look perfect. But looking at the fasteners I am at a loss. They could be threaded or nut rivets but if they are I have never seen these type before. Also they seem to have been sanded down as much as possible. Anyway if anyone has ever reskinned there decks and front fender area I could use you help.

Thanks

nwerring

I changed the left front fender on my ST4 earlier this winter. For rivets I used Aircraft quality aluminum rivets. If you have an airport nearby with a service center, visit them and ask if you can buy some rivets. They should have most of the sizes you need. When I grinded of the old rivets I found them to be really hard/strong. The aircraft rivets are softer, but seems to work perfectly - and they look "right" to. I'll see if I can get some better photos when I'm back at work on Monday. There is a photo in my photo gallery (nwerring) under restoration, but good enough to show the rivets I'm affraid.....

I plan on replacing both front fenders on my Snow Master. The front corners of the deck where the wind shield cornes meet is badly cracked, if you get hold of the outside corner you can lift the deck up and down. My machine has a good variety of bolts and rivets due to previous "repairs". I plan on runing a new angle iron support under the inside top of the deck from the very rear right down to the front bumber. I have a new piece of steel for the front bumber. My problem is to find some one who can bend that angle so it is perfect contour for the front fender. Under the deck I will brace this angle down to the chasssis. I plan on useing nuts and bolts (Stainless if I can afford them) and pop rivets. These rivets can be purchased from good hardware stores, them come in different dia and lengths, you can get them with large heads and you can always hold a flat washer on the inside of the rivet to give extra holding strength. These rivets come in Aluminum, stainless and regular steel. You can grind off the heads of the old ones and punch them out, or drill them out. I purchased new Aluminium sheeting to make the new fenders out.

Those are my plans! all I need is time. I hope this helps.

John

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
John,
for the steel piece you need contoured go to any good metal fabrication business and have them bend it. They should have the equipment for just that. Thanks for the advice. I just am mnot sure what they originaly used. The are damn strong and have held up for 30 some odd years.

Nwerring,
I will check out the photo. If you find anymore please post it here since I feel this will be a great thread for helping people like us in the future. I feel almost every snow trac / snowcats need some type of sheetmetal work.