• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Dieters and Low Fat

DAP

Today, my physician informed me that low fat diets are rapidly becoming a main contributor to:

1. Obesity
2. Diabetes

... the argument being that most people trying to stay away from certain fats end up increasing carbohydrates and sugars into their diets.

U N C L E

:frustrado

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
This was one of the underlying benefits of the Atkins Diet before it got blown out of proportion and commercialized.

If you read and followed the original atkins diet it was very reasonable and very healthy.

Carbs are cheap to produce and sell (and buy). It's expensive to eat healthy.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
DAP said:
... the argument being that most people trying to stay away from certain fats end up increasing carbohydrates and sugars into their diets.
I've also read that people think that eliminating fat is healthy, but it really is not. Moderating fat is the answer. Everything in proportion.

I read a study that showed that people who eat low fat ice cream consume far more ice cream, therefore more sugars, more calories, etc. Ditto people who each reduced fat potato chips. Rather than eat a small bag of chips they eat a family size bag of 'diet' chips. The family size bag of so-called 'diet' chips is roughly 1000 calories. The little bags of regular full-fat chips are probably only 1/3 that amount.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
FWIW, 4 years ago I started eating high fat, high protien foods almost exclusively. No sugars, and few carbs. I lost 50 pounds and have kept it off. I have an annual HRA. My blood pressure is fine (122/78 a week ago), LDL 96, HDL 59, Tri 103, Glucose 87. It works.

Before I started this diet, I was like everybody else - sugar soda, high carbs. My HRA was terrible. I think I scored about 50% back then.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
I went on the adtkins a few years back, lost 70 some pounds, but I went off it wrong and gained everything back. So now I have to try again.

murph