• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Michelle's Move program kills

mak2

http://wmal.com/Article.asp?id=2087141

by Mark Weaver
WMAL.com

WASHINGTON -- The Governors Highway Safety Association says pedestrian deaths increased in the first half of 2010 and the First Lady's program to get Americans to be more active could be partly responsible.

Governors Highway Safety Administration spokesman Jonathan Adkins told 630 WMAL that Michelle Obama is "trying to get us to walk to work and exercise a little bit more. While that's good, it also increases our exposure to risk."

After four straight years of steady declines, pedestrian deaths were up during the first six months of 2010, the latest figures available to be studied.

Other factors include distracted drivers, distracted pedestrians and what Adkins calls "aggressive pedestrians."

"People who are not crossing where they are supposed to. They're running in front of cars. We've even had examples of pedestrians getting out on the interstate," said Adkins.

Alcohol is also factor in increased pedestrian deaths.

"We've done a good job of getting people, after a night out of partying, to leave their keys behind. But just because you are walking does not mean you are not at risk," said Adkins.

Pedestrians are also increasingly distracted by iPods and smart phones. It is not uncommon to see people crossing streets while fiddling with an electronic device and not watching where they are walking. Hospital emergency rooms have reported an upsurge of people injured in a fall because they were distracted by electronics.

Significant increases in pedestrian deaths occurred in Arizona, Florida, Oklahoma, Oregon and North Carolina. In the DC Metro area, pedestrian deaths were down in Maryland but up in DC and Virginia.

(Copyright 2011 by 630 WMAL News. All rights reserved.)

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
No kiddin'! I conked my head the other night while trying to turn off my treadmill. Left a big ole dent. Exercise is dangerous, people!

mak2

Actually it is very true, us bicycle riders are concerned about safety all the time. I found this story pretty funny. It coudld be completely true. If anyone got killed out working out because she said it was good for them, would she be responsible?

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I am not a fan of Michelle Obma's but I feel it is quite a stretch to lay the blame for increased pedestrian deaths on her. Personal responsibility comes into play here. If you are walking or running where there is traffic, be careful. Duh!

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
No kiddin'! I conked my head the other night while trying to turn off my treadmill. Left a big ole dent. Exercise is dangerous, people!

I ripped my knee and now can't work out. Don't know when I will be able to start again.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Too many pedestrians think they own the road and walk way out in the lane. They also like to play stupid in town and cross the road against traffic signals. I came real close to clipping a woman in Corning who walked right out as I was turning right with a green arrow to turn. She gave me a look and I pointed at the arrow and asked her if she needed glasses!:hammer:

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
You serious?

Yes I am serious. I am going on a vacation next week, had plans of riding, bike rented and all rides mapped out. I canceled the bike rides for now as I don't think my leg will be ok by then. Went to the doctor and they won't do anything until next week if and only if the pain gets worse. They think it is just one of them over did it things. :hammer::hammer: Not a happy camper here.

mak2

Hopefully you can work through it. over working it aint as bad as sprain or strain. Dang too bad about the bike rides.

SShepherd

walking through a parking lot is dangerous too !
I was sitting in my truck, and a woman walked by it and wacked her head on my mirror !
They should have a shuttle service

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
walking through a parking lot is dangerous too !
I was sitting in my truck, and a woman walked by it and wacked her head on my mirror !
They should have a shuttle service

Did you not have the OSHA approved orange cones out?:hammer::hammer:

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
I am not a fan of Michelle Obma's but I feel it is quite a stretch to lay the blame for increased pedestrian deaths on her. Personal responsibility comes into play here. If you are walking or running where there is traffic, be careful. Duh!
Why not? Her husband blames EVERYTHING on Geo. W, so why not blame her for something she instigated in the first place? President's wives should just stay in the background and keep their mouths shut, and not try to save the friggin world. Just sayin...

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Other factors include distracted drivers, distracted pedestrians and what Adkins calls "aggressive pedestrians."

"People who are not crossing where they are supposed to. They're running in front of cars. We've even had examples of pedestrians getting out on the interstate," said Adkins.

Alcohol is also factor in increased pedestrian deaths.

Pedestrians are also increasingly distracted by iPods and smart phones. It is not uncommon to see people crossing streets while fiddling with an electronic device and not watching where they are walking.

I don't think you can blame Michelle on this at all. If the people aren't smart enough to read the signs, cross where they are supposed to or obey laws they sure as hell didn't listen to Michelle. Crossing an Interstate :confused2: Isn't there even fences blocking Interstates they would have had to cross?