• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Your favorite "Poor man's dinner"

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
We all have em, I'm looking for new ideas here.

My favorite would be "Dirty Rice". Rice with ground beef and other stuff all mixed it. Spicy and good.

How bout you, what's your favorite?

edit to ad: the dirty rice comes in a box like Kraft Macaroni and cheese ...I believe it is made by Zataraines (sp)

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
T-Bone or Ribeye with baked potatoes and either corn or peas. Choke it down with 32 oz of milk.

We do a hamburger/noodle mix that's pretty good. Some of the "Hamburger Helper" dinners aren't too bad.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
T-Bone or Ribeye with baked potatoes and either corn or peas. Choke it down with 32 oz of milk.

Wow - your definition of "poor" sounds pretty rich to me.

My vote goes for KD (otherwise known in the US as Kraft Mac & Cheese).

Number two vote is for red beans and rice or pulled pork sandwiches.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Meatloaf, mashed potatoes, corn.

The meatloaf can be made with several combinations of leftovers, scraps, etc so it truly is a poorman's food if it is made that way. And it is a great comfort food that not only fills the house with a great aroma while it cooks but it also fills the belly and leaves you satisfied.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Wow - your definition of "poor" sounds pretty rich to me.
It works out that I get my meat (buying by the 1/2 cow) for about $1.00 - $1.25/pound (plus labor baling hay for the season). 3# of T-bones, a pile of potatoes and a bag of frozen corn comes to about $6-8 and will feed my family of 4. At $2.00 per person, that probably qualifies. Granted, the next day, we're having something else with a English Roast or some hamburger but those meals still come out to about $2/person.

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Shepherds Pie

Browned ground beef with onion soup mix alternately layered in a casserole dish with mashed potatoes. And then baked.

RoadKing

Silver Member
Site Supporter
Shepherds Pie

Browned ground beef with onion soup mix alternately layered in a casserole dish with mashed potatoes. And then baked.

Please don't take my comment personal but I have been on a personal crusade to correct two common errors. One is Shepherd's Pie is made with lamb not hamburg and two Corned beef and cabbage is not a traditional Irish meal made fro the recipe Grandma brought from Ireland.:poke:
When I was growing up we called this chinese pie and it sure as hell isn't chinese. Maybe we can find a name for it. Cowboy Pie ???

ps: try a layer of canned corn with the beef and mashed potatoes.

I feel better.

My favorite poor man's meal are "crepes" when I was a kid on my relatives farm we would have these all the time, eggs, flour and milk. You can feed 10 people for $5.00.
The advantage we had was my great-uncle made maple syrup so we had the real thing.

Last edited:

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Please don't take my comment personal but I have been on a personal crusade to correct two common errors. One is Shepherd's Pie is made with lamb not hamburg

Yeah but in these parts hamburg is easier to afford than lamb for a real "poor man":poke:

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
Wouschte (VOOSH-tee)

A recipe from my great grandmother on my fathers side. Classic depression era sustenance. Very "homey" basic food.

Pork Liver (or beef or venison or...)
misc. Pork cuts (or beef or venison, or other scraps, needs a little fat for taste, though)
Onions
Flour (whole wheat is preferable)
Spices (whatever you have to taste)

Boil the meat and onions until cooked and crumbly. Grind in meat grinder, add spices and flour to make a paste. Put paste in cotton cloth 'bags' like a large sausage. Boil bags to make paste a solid.

Slice and lightly brown. Enjoy with eggs for breakfast, with bread and butter anytime, or slice and eat cold (with a little salt and pepper).

:thumb:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
DaveNay,
Try FRIED peanut butter and jelly, do it like a grilled cheese sandwich.........mmmm

Jerry,
Do you butter the bread and fry it just like a grilled cheese? I've never heard of it with PB & J.

Anyone ever try peanut butter and miracle whip? If you don't like Jelly it's a pleasant change.

elsmitro

floppy member
Jerry,
Do you butter the bread and fry it just like a grilled cheese? I've never heard of it with PB & J.

Anyone ever try peanut butter and miracle whip? If you don't like Jelly it's a pleasant change.

Wat kinda tard dont like jelly?! "Wouldya please pass the jelly?"

My fav is probably Chef Boyardee Ravioli right out of the pan with white bread!
323926.jpg
BrandPage_SUN.jpg

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter

Yes, just like grilled cheese. The only thing you have to watch out for is the hot melted peanut butter has characteristics similar to that of volcanic lava.

It's definitely not little kid safe.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
My favorite poor man's meal are "crepes" when I was a kid on my relatives farm we would have these all the time, eggs, flour and milk. You can feed 10 people for $5.00.
The advantage we had was my great-uncle made maple syrup so we had the real thing.

I make those at least once a week. Cheap easy meal!

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
One "cheap meal" we make quite frequently is "Tuna Rice".

Open a can of mushroom soup, put in a pot. Open a can of tuna, drain, put in pot, pour about 1-1.5 cups of rice into it, stir, cover and let simmer till the rice is tender. Add garlic powder, salt, pepper, then serve

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
"Wetbacks" a layered mexican dish .:thumb:
Throw a handfull of Fritos in a serving bowl . Add "taco flavored" seasoned meat. Diced tomatoes,maybe a little lettuce, cheese, ranch dressing, a little sour cream on top finished with some salsa . Mix it up and enjoy . I get more calls for this in Elk Camp than anything else I make . I'm hungry !!!

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Every meal is a poor mans meal here.
One I do enjoy, a decent amount of beef mince (get the stuff reduced going out of date at the supermarket) thrown in a frying pan, with a can of baked beans, and a handful of frozen peas. Microwave a potato till its soft, and pour the fied meaty sauce over it.
Not bad atall, can be done for under £2 or so to serve a couple of people.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Spam cut into 1/4" cubes, Fried to golden brown in a iron skillet. A can of tomatoe paste and corn. Add some water (not to much) and bring up to a simmer. dish this out onto some white rice and your good to go!

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Jerry,

Yep, just like DaveNay said, that's the way to fix it. And he's also correct about the melted peanut butter, it will burn several layers off the roof of your mouth in a heartbeat.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Fried potatoes, van camp pork and beans, and hamburger. Heat it all up, a few dashes of brown sugar and mix together. You can substitute different meats.

sounds terrible but sure is good.

murph

P

Pigtails

One of my favorite is Goulash..brown 1 lb of elk burger with 1/2 of an onion, throw in a small can of tomato sauce and a can of whole corn or frozen works good too. Cook a couple of cups of noodles in water until tender, drain. Put everything together in a cassrole dish and put in the oven at 350 for about 1/2 hr or so. Yum, And another of our favorites is Corned Beef Hash out of the can. Put it in a frying pan and cook it until its crisp on one side. For breakfasts, I like to spread it out in a frying pan and make a couple little indentations in the hash and put a couple of eggs in. Put just about 1/4 cup of water in the lid of the pan and put the lid on until the eggs are done like I like. Oh well, just a couple of my quick recipes.