• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Recipes I'd like to try

RoadKing

Silver Member
Site Supporter
I love food, if you saw me you'd agree. I'd like to get some recipes to try that I have yet to eat. I'll eat just about anything, in fact if I see something on a menu I don't recognize thats what I order, In twenty five years of doing this the only thing I won't eat is squid. I've tried it 3 times cooked 3 different ways ( stuffed in a good Greek rest., with tomato sauce in an Italian rest. and fried in a seafood rest.) all I ever tasted is rubber bands soaked in fish oil.:puke1:

Here's one I'd like to try but our local markets don't stock this particular item.

Any suggestions out there!!!!!

Baked Raccoon
Racoon with Yams
What you need:

1 fat coon, undressed, cleaned well
2 Onions, quartered
2 Stalks celery, whole
4 Cloves garlic, chopped
6 Louisiana Yams(Sweet Potatoes), boiled
Salt n' Cayenne pepper to taste

What you do:

First you gotta catch them coon, then you gotta undress it, and cut into serving size pieces. Put them pieces in a large Dutch Oven with all them seasonings and enough water to cover by 5 or 6 inches. Put them pot over them medium hot fire.
Lightly salt them water and boil until tender. Do not over cook.
Remove them coon from them water, put him in a large baking pan.
Place them sweet potatoes around the coon meat. Season to taste
using them salt n' Cayenne Pepper. Bake 'em up at 350 Degrees F. for about 30 to 45 minutes.
Is sweet n' juicy, no?

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
RoadKing said:
I love food, if you saw me you'd agree. I'd like to get some recipes to try that I have yet to eat. I'll eat just about anything, in fact if I see something on a menu I don't recognize thats what I order, In twenty five years of doing this the only thing I won't eat is squid. I've tried it 3 times cooked 3 different ways ( stuffed in a good Greek rest., with tomato sauce in an Italian rest. and fried in a seafood rest.) all I ever tasted is rubber bands soaked in fish oil.:puke1:

Here's one I'd like to try but our local markets don't stock this particular item.

Any suggestions out there!!!!!

Baked Raccoon
Racoon with Yams
What you need:

1 fat coon, undressed, cleaned well
2 Onions, quartered
2 Stalks celery, whole
4 Cloves garlic, chopped
6 Louisiana Yams(Sweet Potatoes), boiled
Salt n' Cayenne pepper to taste

What you do:

First you gotta catch them coon, then you gotta undress it, and cut into serving size pieces. Put them pieces in a large Dutch Oven with all them seasonings and enough water to cover by 5 or 6 inches. Put them pot over them medium hot fire.
Lightly salt them water and boil until tender. Do not over cook.
Remove them coon from them water, put him in a large baking pan.
Place them sweet potatoes around the coon meat. Season to taste
using them salt n' Cayenne Pepper. Bake 'em up at 350 Degrees F. for about 30 to 45 minutes.
Is sweet n' juicy, no?

Lemme go get the .22 and a cooler of dry ice...you'll have a coon by Saturday.

Want one or two?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
RoadKing said:
I love food, if you saw me you'd agree. I'd like to get some recipes to try that I have yet to eat. I'll eat just about anything, in fact if I see something on a menu I don't recognize thats what I order
I do the SAME thing. (or I did until I got stuck on this damn diet) But I consider eating to be an adventure. Aligator, rattlesnake, skate, buffalo, eel, dove . . . raw, cooked, seared, sauted.
RoadKing said:
In twenty five years of doing this the only thing I won't eat is squid. I've tried it 3 times cooked 3 different ways ( stuffed in a good Greek rest., with tomato sauce in an Italian rest. and fried in a seafood rest.) all I ever tasted is rubber bands soaked in fish oil.:puke1:
Squid, if properly cooked, is tender. Squid overcooked is rubbery in texture and very much like a rubber band. The squid you have eaten has each time been overcooked. We LOVE squid in our house, even my daughter eats it. We fight over fried squid tenticles!!!

Now you want something nasty, try raw squid. I had it once at a very expensive sushi restaurant. Was gagging to get it down. Absolutely nasty stuff. Never again. But I'm game to try most anything once.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
When I was much younger grandma use to feed us raccoon all the time. I would not touch it today as I am a fussy eater but I still remember the roast with all the little fat balls.

murph

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
How about snails? Baked in garlic, butter and puff pastry!

Wow that is good. Simple to make too. Take a premade frozen puff pastry and cut some small circular pieces, about 1" diameter. Take the snails and drop them one each into the recesses of a snail baking dish, or if you don't have one of those you can use a mini-muffin tin. Add about a 1/2 teaspoon of butter, some ground garlic (I love garlic so I use a lot) to taste, and then top with the puff pastry. Cook as per the directions on the pastry package until the pastry is golden brown. Serve hot.

Man that is good food!!!

The large black snails sold as ESCARGOT are the best. Overcooked and they can be a bit chewy so be careful with your cooking time.

RoadKing

Silver Member
Site Supporter
The meal I grew up with which bothers most people is blood sausage, made from pig blood and spices. I haven't had it in years since most of the small neighborhood butchers have folded in the wake of big supermarkets with rows of generic foods. It was never my favorite but I'd eat it again for old times sake.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
KISHKA and/or HURKA!!! I still eat that. I love it. (Kiska is made with barley, Hurka has rice instead of barley) My wife leaves the house when I cook it, she can't stand to be around. I figure every time I cook it, it costs me $500 in the shopping spree while she is gone, so I only eat it occasionally.

The Germans call it something different, but it is essentially the same stuff.

What about Charnina? (duck blood soup)

P

Pigtails

B_Skurka said:
I do the SAME thing. (or I did until I got stuck on this damn diet) But I consider eating to be an adventure. Aligator, rattlesnake, skate, buffalo, eel, dove . . . raw, cooked, seared, sauted.

Squid, if properly cooked, is tender. Squid overcooked is rubbery in texture and very much like a rubber band. The squid you have eaten has each time been overcooked. We LOVE squid in our house, even my daughter eats it. We fight over fried squid tenticles!!!

Now you want something nasty, try raw squid. I had it once at a very expensive sushi restaurant. Was gagging to get it down. Absolutely nasty stuff. Never again. But I'm game to try most anything once.

UGH:puke1: :puke1: :puke1:

If I have to it wild meat.. I'll stick to Elk, Deer, Beef, Pork, Sheep..Is squid tenticles anything like Rocky Mtn Oysters?????????

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Pigtails said:
UGH:puke1: :puke1: :puke1:

If I have to it wild meat.. I'll stick to Elk, Deer, Beef, Pork, Sheep..Is squid tenticles anything like Rocky Mtn Oysters?????????
All you adventurous guys need to come on over to Illinois for the Turkey Testicle Festival.

Turkey_colorL.gif

I'll have a big combo sandwich piled high with hot giardinera, and a big glass of Guinness.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
DaveNay said:
All you adventurous guys need to come on over to Illinois for the Turkey Testicle Festival.

Back in the days when I just first started to drink the local bar would beer batter fry turkey giserts (sp?) Dang they were good. About two years ago I bought some giserts (sp?) cooked them and tried batter frying them. They weren't so good, really rubbery. Overcooked I am sure but I am sure you have to cook them some before batter frying.

murph

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
Sorry, Bob, but you can keep that calamari and escargot. I've had them several times and they just don't appeal to me. On the other hand, I've tried caviar, and surprisingly, it wasn't bad.

A long time ago, my buddy was in the Peace Corps. He went to the South Pacific and actually lived with a tribe of cannibals. He tried HUMAN. Told me French people taste like chicken. Why was he safe with these cannibals, you ask? They don't like to eat Americans. Too tough.

:yum: :yum: :yum: :yum: :yum: :yum: :yum: :yum: :yum:

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
RoadKing said:
The meal I grew up with which bothers most people is blood sausage, made from pig blood and spices. I haven't had it in years since most of the small neighborhood butchers have folded in the wake of big supermarkets with rows of generic foods. It was never my favorite but I'd eat it again for old times sake.

Ahhhhhhhhh......... Blood Boudin .............. good stuff! I was introduced to it in Loozyana. They're not allowed to sell it anymore but you can still find it at some plantation stores down there if you find the right folk.........;) . I just got a delivery from a friend who was in Baton Rouge on business and he brought me back 5 pounds each of pork/rice boudin and hog head cheese! In my glory right now......:D!

Ever see a LaMar billboard in your travels? Jerry Marchan is the Mar. He is from LA and every year he would invite me to his annual beast feast held at Hunter's Run Gun Club in Port Allen, where I was a member. One of the activities was skeet shooting and I would oversee/instruct his guest on the skeet fields.

Dinner was a real treat. All his buddies, who were pretty much well off, would bring game from the hunts they went on that year and set up shop and cook their game. Definitely one of the highlights of the year for me.....:D! Just name it, I ate it. In LA where they already eat anything you can shoot or angle, you know it was hard to come up with dishes......:yum:!

Elk had to be my favorite. Bear was a little too strong and lean. Any thing from the ocean was always a hit! Man now I'm gonna have to get me a link a boudin.............

BTW.......... I can cook a pretty mean gumbo, sauce piquante and etouffee! It's in to roux..................:thumb:

RoadKing

Silver Member
Site Supporter
Big Dog said:
Ahhhhhhhhh......... Blood Boudin .............. good stuff! I was introduced to it in Loozyana. I just got a delivery from a friend who was in Baton Rouge on business and he brought me back 5 pounds each of pork/rice boudin and hog head cheese! In my glory right now......:D!
:

Big Dog, Whatsay, I meet you Sept 30, Marlinton WVA, the 14th annual Roadkill Cookoff. Sounds like some my-t-fine tastin':beer:

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
RoadKing said:
Big Dog, Whatsay, I meet you Sept 30, Marlinton WVA, the 14th annual Roadkill Cookoff. Sounds like some my-t-fine tastin':beer:

I can make that......gonna do the scooters?

Myst

Wow.. some of that stuff i wouldnt touch if you paid me! Id add some recipies but none are quite as exciting as some of those!