• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Elk Meat is really expensive !

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Our freezer is full in Idaho and we are trying to empty the one in Calif . I just gave away about 20 pounds of Elk Steaks and ground Elk burger .We cut and wrap all the meat at our meat locker on the ranch and custom blend the burger with 5% pork Suet to get a very lean patty that cooks up nice without burning .

I just happened to look at what Elk Meat was selling for on the internet .... Holy Crap !!!!

$6 plus a pound for burger and steaks at about $16 . I figure I just gave away about $200 bucks worth of meat today ..I knew Elk Meat was considered very healthy for you but I did not realize its one of the best meats , health wise , to eat .

I actually enjoy Whitetail deer more than Elk . The deer in our area seem to have a perfect layer of fat and are really healthy .

Finally got to try some Steaks from the beef steer that was raised on our ranch this past year . I may never buy store bought beef again . It was incredible .

At the price of Elk Meat , I may have to finally put a lock on the meat locker .LOL

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I put 10% pork in mine. Cut and wrapping was high at the place I went to this year.
I got pime rib at Black angus restrant on thanksgiving and was really surprised on how tender it was.
Jim

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
I like elk - a LOT.
maybe even better than Bison.
definitely better than the whitetail we see in my neck of the woods.
If you decide you have too much, let me know what you would want to cover shipping and "handling" (packed in a cooler with some dry ice) in a PM. :D

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Our freezer is full in Idaho and we are trying to empty the one in Calif . I just gave away about 20 pounds of Elk Steaks and ground Elk burger .We cut and wrap all the meat at our meat locker on the ranch and custom blend the burger with 5% pork Suet to get a very lean patty that cooks up nice without burning .

I just happened to look at what Elk Meat was selling for on the internet .... Holy Crap !!!!

$6 plus a pound for burger and steaks at about $16 . I figure I just gave away about $200 bucks worth of meat today ..I knew Elk Meat was considered very healthy for you but I did not realize its one of the best meats , health wise , to eat .

I actually enjoy Whitetail deer more than Elk . The deer in our area seem to have a perfect layer of fat and are really healthy .

Finally got to try some Steaks from the beef steer that was raised on our ranch this past year . I may never buy store bought beef again . It was incredible .

At the price of Elk Meat , I may have to finally put a lock on the meat locker .LOL
And its worth every penny IMO . I never did care much for deer , But I,ll take Elk , Buffalo & black angus in that order anything else Ya,ll can have . But thats just me . :biggrin:

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
I like elk - a LOT.
maybe even better than Bison.
definitely better than the whitetail we see in my neck of the woods.
If you decide you have too much, let me know what you would want to cover shipping and "handling" (packed in a cooler with some dry ice) in a PM. :D

I'll keep that in mind . :smile:

I just gave a good friend over 200 pounds about a month ago .

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
heck if fuel wasn't so high, I'd even consider offering you labor trade for it once the weather is more driving friendly, but at $450-500 for fuel (round trip) that would be pretty painful.

rback33

Hangin in Tornado Alley
SUPER Site Supporter
I made hamburger helper with elk burger last night. LOVE eating Elk. I have been meaning to ask Al about my best buddy and I coming up there to hunt some time...

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
What does Elk taste like?
Beef?

I've had venison before and didn't like it, although a couple of weeks ago, sampled some jerky and liked it, only because it had teriyaki seasoning.

Had a bison burger when I was a kid at that Wall Drug out in SD, and again fairly recently at Ruby Tuesday. It was too gamey for me.

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
What does Elk taste like?
Beef?

I've had venison before and didn't like it, although a couple of weeks ago, sampled some jerky and liked it, only because it had teriyaki seasoning.

Had a bison burger when I was a kid at that Wall Drug out in SD, and again fairly recently at Ruby Tuesday. It was too gamey for me.
Elk has a taste all its own IMO , its a bloodier type of meat & very rich . But it depends on who processes it as well as cooks it . It makes the best german roll type sausage there is but it needs to be cut with a good percentage of pork , once again just my opinion .

Venison also depends on its diet , processing & who fixes it also makes a huge difference in taste .

Bison is pure heaven IMO as well as very healthy to eat . You would be better off going to a local corner bar that serves it to get the real taste of it , Some that advertise I think it is actually beefalo , cross bread bison with beef . Not the same thing .

I wont even eat beef anymore , unless its black angus & I can tell the difference :wink:

I'm sure others have different opinions though . :smile:

Last edited: