• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

comments?

Glink

Site Supporter
http://www.tcsdaily.com/article.aspx?id=022107C

Here is the first portion of the article, there is more:

L'Eggo My Lego

clear.gif
clear.gif
By Maureen Martin : 28 Feb 2007
clear.gif
clear.gif
clear.gif
clear.gif

Some Seattle school children are being told to be skeptical of private property rights. This lesson is being taught by banning Legos.

A ban was initiated at the Hilltop Children's Center in Seattle. According to an article in the winter 2006-07 issue of "Rethinking Schools" magazine, the teachers at the private school wanted their students to learn that private property ownership is evil.

According to the article, the students had been building an elaborate "Legotown," but it was accidentally demolished. The teachers decided its destruction was an opportunity to explore "the inequities of private ownership." According to the teachers, "Our intention was to promote a contrasting set of values: collectivity, collaboration, resource-sharing, and full democratic participation."

The children were allegedly incorporating into Legotown "their assumptions about ownership and the social power it conveys." These assumptions "mirrored those of a class-based, capitalist society -- a society that we teachers believe to be unjust and oppressive."

They claimed as their role shaping the children's "social and political understandings of ownership and economic equity ... from a perspective of social justice."

So they first explored with the children the issue of ownership. Not all of the students shared the teachers' anathema to private property ownership. "If I buy it, I own it," one child is quoted saying. The teachers then explored with the students concepts of fairness, equity, power, and other issues over a period of several months.
At the end of that time, Legos returned to the classroom after the children agreed to several guiding principles framed by the teachers, including that "All structures are public structures" and "All structures will be standard sizes." The teachers quote the children:
  • "A house is good because it is a community house."
  • "We should have equal houses. They should be standard sizes."
  • "It's important to have the same amount of power as other people over your building."
Given some recent history in Washington state with respect to private property protections, perhaps this should not come as a surprise. Municipal officials in Washington have long known how to condemn one person's private property and sell it to another for the "public use" of private economic development. Even prior to the U.S. Supreme Court's 2005 ruling in Kelo v. City of New London, Connecticut, which sanctioned such a use of eminent domain, Washington state officials acting under their state constitution were already proceeding full speed ahead with such transactions.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
It's a private school. They can teach whatever morals they wish so long as it doesn't conflict with local, state or federal law.

If I had children there, I would remove them.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
DaveNay said:
If I had children there, I would remove them.

How many parents are unaware of what is being taught in school?

As I've said before, my wife is now a public school teacher. She complains of this sort of 'thought' being taught to students in our school system. It is also one of the reasons our child is in a private school.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sad. Very sad. I suspect the teachers are more prone to this line of thought since they are severely underpaid.
I would like to know what the Lego buildings looked like after they put the new requirements on the kids. Do you they were boring, unimaginative boxes? I wonder if the kids were as interested in building anything, once they knew they didn't have to build a building to have a building. All structures were theirs as much as the person who built it. Communism comes to mind.