• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Controversial Pepsi Can

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
New can by Pepsi Arabia - Is It Celebrating September 11th?

What do you think?

Here is one contractor's comment:
I'm a contractor in Baghdad and my coworkers and I noticed the new design on the side of the Pepsi Diet cans. It seems to show 2 towers, which look a lot like the twin towers, in a large city with 2 planes flying around them. Seems like a pretty offensive choice if you are American but maybe a good marketing choice in this part of the world.

http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-719248?hpt=us_bn2

Attachments

• pepsiCanTwinTowers.jpg
    pepsiCanTwinTowers.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 173

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Some more text from the original article:

CNN PRODUCER NOTE iReporter lynzbee, who works at the Baghdad Diplomatic Support Center in Iraq, shared a photo on Sunday of a Diet Pepsi can that's causing controversy online due to its imagery, which some say resembles the Twin Towers and a plane flying overhead. 'I personally saw the can and noticed the towers/planes and thought immediately of 9/11 without even knowing about the can issue,' she wrote in an email. 'I think it is at best in very bad taste and at worst direct anti-American marketing to people in this area. I think that it should be causing controversy; Pepsi shouldn't be marketing what could be interpreted as pro-terrorist themes to sell soft drinks.'

CNN reached out to Pepsi for comment. 'We are sorry that some people found this design insensitive, which was never our intention as the graphics on this can were inspired by the Dubai skyline,' said Jeff Dahncke of the PepsiCo communications department, adding that the company has since stopped production of the can.
- katie, CNN iReport producer

http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-719248?hpt=us_bn2

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Snopes

Snopes says the picture is accurate but an Inaccurate Description. You all will have to make your own thoughts on it.

Trakternut

Pepsi products should be boycotted until they change the graphics and apologize to Americans.

Americans feel offended over this and nobody's raising a stink. Offend just ONE stinkin' Muslim and they wanna crucify us. Ummmmm.......... reverse discrimination, anybody? :hammer:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Often wish we had never interrupted their goat screwing ways with modern conveniences. They enjoy snubbing their nose at America because there is never a consequence for their actions. Shame on the greedy bastards at Pepsi for even allowing that can to be run in the bottler.:hammer:

Galvatron

Spock and Galvatron < one and the same
sorry but to me it is just a image that in no way shows the devastating images of 9/11

i think we should let this one slip by....in no way do i find it insulting or to be intended that way,and trust me i would be the first to stand up from this side of the pond if it was in bad taste.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
sorry but to me it is just a image that in no way shows the devastating images of 9/11

i think we should let this one slip by....in no way do i find it insulting or to be intended that way,and trust me i would be the first to stand up from this side of the pond if it was in bad taste.
I see where you are coming from Galvi, and most who commented on the can at the link provided above agree with you.
I read the headlines before I saw the pic so .... by power of suggestion or whatever, I admit I thought of 9-11 when I saw it. Why did they have to include the giant airliner? Why not a private plane or an air balloon or leave that tiny space blank. I do think it was a back handed slap and it was intended, but at the same time they knew they could make fun of the US if we were offended.

If a soda maker here in the US pictured something similar on a can which was derogatory to Muslims the world would know of it and they would be chanting death to America.

Galvatron

Spock and Galvatron < one and the same
I see where you are coming from Galvi, and most who commented on the can at the link provided above agree with you.
I read the headlines before I saw the pic so .... by power of suggestion or whatever, I admit I thought of 9-11 when I saw it. Why did they have to include the giant airliner? Why not a private plane or an air balloon or leave that tiny space blank.

i feel the power of hurt is why you thought it and i can understand that....i do know that the middle east is proud of it's up and coming airline companies and for example do show it off at big sporting events like F1.....fly overs are big for advertising and i think this is where they went with the marketing.

example...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2SGCZPBOUg"]Gulf Air Flyover at 2008 Bahrain F1 - YouTube[/ame]

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Whether or not this Pepsi can is an insult is irrelavant.

Having been scolded for our insensitivity for decades I think Americans would like a little sensitivity towards us from the rest of the world.

It ain't gonna happen.

Americans need to get over it.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Here's the Dubai skyline. You tell me if that can resembles this.

Attachments

• dubaiskyline.jpg
    dubaiskyline.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 96

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
I still think we should have been drilling for our oil/nat gas 5 yrs ago. Once we got enough on line, then start selling arms to every country in the mid east and let 'em drink their oil and kill each other off.
Mike