• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Extreme 4x4 truck: Why do men do stupid things?

humor_me

Good luck getting one of those, Bob. Be sure and post photos.:thumb: I've always had my list too of fun vehicles for my collection.

Steyr Haflinger - we should petition them to start building them again.
Volvo C303
Steyr Pinzgauer - They still make it, but, I like the air-cooled (original) version.
Jeep FC150
Unimog
VW Type 181 (Thing)
Land Rover Series

Of course, my wife would think I've lost my mind if I bought more than one.:mad:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I took the lovely Mrs_B out to a really nice hamburger stand today for dinner. You guys know the kind, its so nice it does NOT have a drive-thru window. Well over a couple burgers with double onions and a large glass of water (onions & water are free . . . I am cheap) I broke the news to her.
B: Honey, I want a Pinzgauer :hide:
Mrs_B: What's a Pinzgauer, IS IT ANOTHER tractor :confused2:
B: Its sort of like a military jeep that had sex with a mini-van :showerSex

Mrs_B: What are you going to do with an Army truck?!? :argue:

B: Uh, well, uh, hey, are my balls in your purse? Can I borrow them for a minute? Did I mention that you look beautiful in the flourescent lights of this fast food joint? Its not really an Army truck dear, it's really more like a mini-van, really it is :liar:

Mrs_B: You have so many toys that you don't use. Guns? And the Avanti? How many tractors are you hiding? :flame2:

B: Well I've been thinking of selling the Avanti for a couple years now, if I do that I'd have more room for another project :pray:

Mrs_B: Do you really want to sell the Avanti, remember how sad you were when you sold the last Oliver :cry:
B: So I can still keep the Avanti and start up a new project? :sun1:
FELLAS, I GOT TO TELL YOU SOMETIMES IT IS GOOD TO BE KING :tiphat:

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
Bob, I hate you.

Here's the conversation at my house:

Av: :blahblah: ... Unimog ... :blahblah:

Mrs. Av.: Get back in your kennel before the neighbors see you!

Av: Yes, dear. (Crawling back under my rock)

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Now Bob, the only reason I didn't buy a Unimog last year was when I actually went to look at one, the damn thing was waaay too big for what I wanted. Besides, it was also a slug. So, the Pinz seemed cool. (Obviously, in my twisted mind, you're on the right track). But, if you buy a "Volvo", I'll have to send you one of those stickers of a soccer ball for you to put on it and an AARP sticker. :yum: :poke:

Unless, of course, that would make me ineligible to ride in it...:shiner:

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
Dargo's son owns this one, but Dargo keeps confusing it with a box turtle and tries to feed it lettuce :hide:

Hey, I missed that one! Actually, his box turtle is odd. It's favorite meal (by far) is corn on the cob. What's up with that?! I suppose it would prefer to ride in a Volvo as well since it won't eat any bugs that are offered...

BTW, is that a "Storm Trooper" driving?

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Av8r said:
Bob, I hate you.
Its all in the delivery. Once you master that technique then you are the king. But I really am going to sell the Avanti, I'm ready to let that find a new home.
Dargo said:
if you buy a "Volvo", I'll have to send you one of those stickers of a soccer ball for you to put on it and an AARP sticker. :yum: :poke:

Unless, of course, that would make me ineligible to ride in it...:shiner:
Dargo, about the only difference between the Pinz and the Volvo is the engine. Both look pretty much the same and do the same thing. The Pinz is air cooled like a VW bug or a Snow Trac and requires an auxilary gas heater. The Volvo is a traditional water cooled engine (and has a real heater). I believe the engine in the Volvo is a bit better. It will be harder to find the Volvo and take a lot longer to get one that is suitable but I think it would be worth the search. The Volvo is supposed to be quieter than the Pinz, but I've not yet driven either so that is yet to be determined. The Pinz would be easier to find parts and support for since it is more commong. So each has its advantages.

Below are side by side shots of some Pinzgauer 710Ks (left side) and some Volvo C303s (right side).

Attachments

• 1left.jpg
    1left.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 280
  • 1rt.jpg
    1rt.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 277

Viking

Site Supporter
Bob, I have my eye on one of these (see attached photos). I thought it might serve your purposes well also.

Attachments

• cougar.jpg
    cougar.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 271
  • cougar1.jpg
    cougar1.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 274

humor_me

B_Skurka said:
I took the lovely Mrs_B out to a really nice hamburger stand today for dinner. You guys know the kind, its so nice it does NOT have a drive-thru window. Well over a couple burgers with double onions and a large glass of water (onions & water are free . . . I am cheap) I broke the news to her.
B: Honey, I want a Pinzgauer :hide:
Mrs_B: What's a Pinzgauer, IS IT ANOTHER tractor :confused2:
B: Its sort of like a military jeep that had sex with a mini-van :showerSex

Mrs_B: What are you going to do with an Army truck?!? :argue:

FELLAS, I GOT TO TELL YOU SOMETIMES IT IS GOOD TO BE KING :tiphat:
Bob,
You certainly have a way with the Smilies:D

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Viking . . . nope that is too heavy and too large. I want to be able to park next to the school soccer moms in a regular parking place, but still make them sweat. That one is too big to fit into a parking space.

But I have looked at a couple "Ferrets" and those are the right size, very cool, have a place to mount a machine gun, but really are not very useful for commuter driving or taking the kids to a volleyball game.

Humor me . . . well the real conversation was a bit longer but they say 1 picture is worth 1000 words!

Dargo . . . start cutting some paths though those woods you own. No need to groom the trails but you have to make sure there is enough space between the trees to drive through. DaveNay will probably come down with me. I'll need him to help with the gas money.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
Dargo . . . start cutting some paths though those woods you own. No need to groom the trails but you have to make sure there is enough space between the trees to drive through. DaveNay will probably come down with me. I'll need him to help with the gas money.
Would you like those trails with, or without, snaring high tension cables? I mean, it could really add to the excitement it you face the possiblility of being jerked to a sudden stop at any time. Damn utility companies....:mad: They take the frickin' copper lines and leave me with damn worthless steel cables hidden where their overhead lines once were. They used to serve the booming town of Enos, IN until that town sort of dried up around the 40's.

Tommo

SUPER Site Supporter
Hi all,

Well this is a surprise for me to see yet more vehicles that i have first hand experience at driving for many years.

1) I started driving Land Rovers back in 1973/4 when i was approx 6 or 7 yrs old.
2) I joined the British Commandos in 1984 and did my driving license test in a series 2A SWB light weight Land Rover.
3) i have used all series Land Rovers apart from S1 (which i have owned 4) in the British forces from 1984 to 1990 ish until we got the Land Rover Defender.
4) At the same time (1984+) we had the Land Rover 101 forward control which we used in many rolls, this was replaced by the Pinza some time in the late 90's from memory.
5) Round about early 2000 we got the new and fast Land Rover 'Wolf', (Basically a civil TDi 300 series).

I have driven all Land rovers all around the globe and i can honestly say the best won as far as I'm concerned is the 101 F/Control hands down!This has a low compression Rover V8 and i have had these things towing Artillary guns at 100 mph on the flat (though not very often!), but normal speed would be 85 + mph towing that could be done with little trouble.

I teach off road driving (used too) in the UK and used to race Comp safari/ Trial Land rovers and have taken all Land Rovers to the and beyond limits and i love the 101 and 200 TDi 90 (Present vehicle), i also own a Range rover LSE and Free lander (What a heap of crap that is!).

The Pinza suffers from rear suspension problems due to them being able to be highered and lowered for load leveling and weight distribution etc when towing an Artillary light gun (Howitzer to you US people!) and ammo with full crew etc, they would often be seen leaving camp in the 'Sit up and Beg' position due to suspension issues.

I will be back from Baghdad soon and will be going to see my mates from my old unit and will take some photos of the Wolf and Pinza with and with out big guns and see if i cant post them for Bob and all to see!

Hope this gives you a brief in site to to the wonderful world of British/Austrian military vehicles past and present for now?

Take care

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks Tommo, I found one Land Rover 101 for sale, but the condition is very rough (and the price is reasonable due to that).

It seems very clear that you favor the Land Rover 101 greatly over the Pinzgauer 710K. Have you used the Volvo C303 or military version the Volvo TGB111?

Tommo

SUPER Site Supporter
Bob,

I used the 101 for many years all around the world and that thing can go places the Pinzagauer could not handle! They are so light and easy to work on when in the field or a 3rd world country where as the Pinza would require more knowledge and had more things to go wrong with it.

The Pinza is a good vehicle but just seemed to suffer with suspension problems! I could get hold of some manuals for you if you like! I have a complete water proofing A4 folder at home for complete water proofing of the 101 has i did this course and drove the 101 in water 2" below my chin for an hour at that depth? I may even have some photos of that or the Defender Land Rover in the water.

Any other stuff i can help you with just let me know.

Take it easy

Tommo

SUPER Site Supporter
Bob,

I'm not familiar with the Volvo. I have seem them on my travels but not real been up close to one. Very similar to the Pinza!

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Tommo said:
Bob,

I'm not familiar with the Volvo. I have seem them on my travels but not real been up close to one. Very similar to the Pinza!
Most of the information I can find on the Volvos is that it seems to be considered an 'improved' version of the Pinz. Not sure how it compares to the LR 101.
  • What I do know is that I can get a Pinz very easily.
  • I can hunt around and get a Volvo if I search long enough.
  • The Land Rover 101 is very rare here in the USA and other than a scarce one or two, finding one would be near impossible. There is one in the US for sale on Ebay right now. But it also looks pretty rough.
From the standpoint of ease of obtaining one, the Pinz is the obvious choice. There are several dealers, and many available. The Volvo will take months to find, but it is possible to find one in good enough condition. The LR 101 is ???? but from what I see, it is going to be very tough to get here.

For those not familiar with the Land Rover 101, here are some pictures, this is the one that is currently on Ebay for sale.

Attachments

• 1lr2.JPG
    1lr2.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 247
  • 1lr3.JPG
    1lr3.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 233
  • 1lr1.JPG
    1lr1.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 235

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Tommo, if you can source a manual for the Foden FH70 gun tractor, I would be eternally grateful, I have searched everywhere and come up with nothing, a photocopy, scan or a copy on a cd would be brilliant. Hope you can come up with something. Re Dorset, I still don't know anything, will let you know as soon as I know. My electric is back on, so the answering machine is working again and hopefully the phones will be charged up again soon.

Tommo

SUPER Site Supporter
Bob,

What sought of price was it at on eBay? They are ten a penny over here though the prices have gone from£1,500 to £5,000 depending on condition and Spec (Rag top, Ambulance, Work shop etc.) and extras fitted.
I do like them though and the Pinza is not hard to find but there are a lot less of them around due to the fact they are still in service, but there are the odd one that has gone through Military disposal!

Anita,

I will see what i can do at our REME LAD work shop and try to get you a CD, at minimum a Booklet (A5) and bring it with me if and when i see you at the steam fair.

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Tommo, it would be brilliant if you can. I now have the pass for Dorset, it came on Friday, but I have been away for the weekend. Give me a phone call, land line, when you are back in England and we will arrange things.

RoadKing

Silver Member
Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
Nope Bonehead, I'm actually looking for something that would be more fun, more useful than a snowblower!

Bob S. How's this for when the years start to catch up and you can't quite get around like you used to. The Bob S. Power Chair

Attachments

• Hoveround.jpg
    Hoveround.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 208

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Tommo said:
Bob,

What sought of price was it at on eBay? They are ten a penny over here though the prices have gone from£1,500 to £5,000 depending on condition and Spec (Rag top, Ambulance, Work shop etc.) and extras fitted.
I do like them though and the Pinza is not hard to find but there are a lot less of them around due to the fact they are still in service, but there are the odd one that has gone through Military disposal!
Tommo the auction for the Land Rover 101, which too me looked to be in pretty rough condition (at least the exterior of it looks rough) sold for $12,000. I believe that would be roughly 6,300 British Pounds.

Attachments

• 1 --fa_12.JPG
    1 --fa_12.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 205
  • 1 --69_12.JPG
    1 --69_12.JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 201
  • 1 --2c_12.JPG
    1 --2c_12.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 199