• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Cigarettes

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
LOL simmer down there man!!

Update: I didn't have to call her. She called me.
Full of apology and remorse.
Why? Well.. she said it's because she hung up on me.
I think it's because as soon as the hubby got home she shot out to the gas station and bought her cigs.
She told me she's having a New Years Eve party tomorrow night.
Guess what?
I AM BUSY hehe
So what am i going to do with all these damn eggs now?? :huh:

American Woman

Site Supporter
she's not going to quit until she wants to and nothing you can say will change that.
:agree:Smoking is an addiction, and someone isn't going to quit until they are ready.
I watched both my parents die a slow hard death at a young age, because of smoking. My sister took several smoking breaks while our parents were dieing. If that didn't make her stop then I don't know what I could say. It's something with in yourself that gives you the strength to stop an addiction.
God knows I'm not perfect either.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
:agree:Smoking is an addiction, and someone isn't going to quit until they are ready.
I watched both my parents die a slow hard death at a young age, because of smoking. My sister took several smoking breaks while our parents were dieing. If that didn't make her stop then I don't know what I could say. It's something with in yourself that gives you the strength to stop an addiction.
God knows I'm not perfect either.
Yeah.. while my Dad was on his death bed, I was there along with the hospice nurses whenever I could be.
.. and what did I do to relieve the stress of the situation?
Went outside and lit up a Newport Light..:hammer:
It is a very hard habit to break.
I know we have smokers on the forum. It's not my intention to make you all out to be bad because if that's your crutch and you love it, well so be it.

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I would have said "No", not because of my feelings towards smokers (I am one myself) but because of the drive for something non essential. If the call had been to pick up a prescription, there would have been no thought about it but she knew she was running low last night and could have gotten them when she had a ride. Tell her what ever you want but she's not going to quit until she wants to and nothing you can say will change that.

I was thinking something along this line, I hope that she forgives if you ever need something from her side of town............

All this talk about smoking killing, well it does, but so does driving, living, and drinking and driving, but how many will buy a round at the bar? Just picking at the general idea here. My uncle and brother both died early, they also both quit smoking early. My doctor chews.......he does not know that I know.

Ok back to this, I may have done this, had a cup of java on her, had some good conver and gone about my day..................

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
That bitch hung up on you!?!?!?!? YOu dont need a friend like that. If she was more than 3 miles away I would not have done it. Either way you dont need friends that are not understanding and not intelligent enough to even ask why. Lets egg her house!!!!!!! :glare::boxing:

who let sushi out of his cage tonite................hehehehhheee, busting you there sush, no harm..............dont waste the eggs, I LOVE them for breakfast, 4 of them, scrambled

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sorry nbut I think you are wrong. She is your friend. She smokes. If she is your friend then you should not be passing judgementvon her habit no matter how bad. If you do then you are saying she is only a conditional friend, one you only want on your terms. I have a friend who likes to go to Hooters to look at girls. Another who likes to go to gentlemans clubs to look at naked girls. Another that I know cheated on his wife. All are friends. I may not like some of their actions I may even talk to them about their actions, but I'm still their friends. Your friend asked nothing unreasonable from you within the context of friendship. If you would of bought her food or alcohol, then why not her cigarettes? Simply because it is a nasty unhealthy habit that you dislike? Sorry but you were judgemental and just hurt your friend.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Sorry nbut I think you are wrong. She is your friend. She smokes. If she is your friend then you should not be passing judgementvon her habit no matter how bad. If you do then you are saying she is only a conditional friend, one you only want on your terms. I have a friend who likes to go to Hooters to look at girls. Another who likes to go to gentlemans clubs to look at naked girls. Another that I know cheated on his wife. All are friends. I may not like some of their actions I may even talk to them about their actions, but I'm still their friends. Your friend asked nothing unreasonable from you within the context of friendship. If you would of (isn't the proper grammar would have?)bought her food or alcohol, then why not her cigarettes? Simply because it is a nasty unhealthy habit that you dislike? Sorry but you were judgemental and just hurt your friend.
Gosh Bob, your text is full of typos.
Why are you coming down so hard on me?
I didn't judge her. I KNOW her.
She didn't get her way, so she acted out.
Truth be known, she'd also called our other friends Linda and Cathy for the same thing.
They did the same as me.
She promised her husband John she was going to give up smoking as her New Year resolution (actually a week or so ago).. she couldn't handle being alone in the sticks without her weeds, so she called me as a last resort.
She's got her smokes, she's happy.. so ..
I also have friends who do things that I don't agree with and they are still my friends and vice versa.
This was not a case of judging her at all.. it was a case of doing what I felt was best for both of us.
Maybe she and I will get together soon and laugh about it, or do our usual.. take Toledo by storm and shop til we drop and eat like gluttons.
:yum:

The Tourist

Banned
If she is your friend then you should not be passing judgementvon her habit no matter how bad.

I will go half-way on that side of the debate. You should not judge. That is not a free pass for doing nothing.

But let's suppose the problem here was that she owned a Humvee with a souped up engine, wide tires, a tungsten brush bar and a locker tranny--oh, and she drinks tequila, lots of tequila.

When would you intervene? Before or after she ran down a baby carriage?

But this is smoking. One in three die directly from use.

My doc told me that even with the aerobics I do (one hour StairMaster per day, two hours as a younger man) it took me ten full years to return my lungs, health and life expectancy to the numbers of a healthy man who had never smoked.

Imagine this. A dozen years from now you go to visit your friend in the hospital. Body weight, perhaps ninety pounds. They've replaced all treatments with a morphine drip. Darth Vader has a better singing voice.

Do you want to think, "Gee, I probably should have said something..."

American Woman

Site Supporter
Truth be known, she'd also called our other friends Linda and Cathy for the same thing.
They did the same as me.
She promised her husband John she was going to give up smoking as her New Year resolution (actually a week or so ago)

:yum:
You didn't say that at first :hammer: Now it makes more sense to say no to her.
I stated in an earlier post that if she had made a promise to quit like Galvy did then I would have said no...

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm typing 1 finger on a 3" touchscreen keyboard. Typos are the rule.

I said what I said because it it my opinion. You asked and I gave. Even of she may soon be trying to quit that is just your own way of rationalizing your action. People rarely quit by running out of smokes. I still say if you would have bought her other items then you should have bought her the smokes.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I will go half-way on that side of the debate. You should not judge. That is not a free pass for doing nothing.

But let's suppose the problem here was that she owned a Humvee with a souped up engine, wide tires, a tungsten brush bar and a locker tranny--oh, and she drinks tequila, lots of tequila.

But this is smoking. One in three die directly from use.

My doc told me that even with the aerobics I do (one hour StairMaster per day, two hours as a younger man) it took me ten full years to return my lungs, health and life expectancy to the numbers of a healthy man who had never smoked.

Imagine this. A dozen years from now you go to visit your friend in the hospital. Body weight, perhaps ninety pounds. They've replaced all treatments with a morphine drip. Darth Vader has a better singing voice.

If this had been a friend with a baby, say living 30-40 miles away, and she'd called me desperately needing formula and diapers, I would have jumped in the car and been there.

Imagine this:
I saw my Dad looking like a nazi death camp prisoner, his body shot from lung cancer and CHF.. it wasn't actually the cancer that took him when he died.. he drowned in his own fluids hopped up on morphine, listening to Bach when he met the Lord.
The tall hero was suddenly a mere shell of himself.
I will NOT buy cigarettes for anyone at any time in my life, no matter who they are.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm typing 1 finger on a 3" touchscreen keyboard. Typos are the rule.

I said what I said because it it my opinion. You asked and I gave. Even of she may soon be trying to quit that is just your own way of rationalizing your action. People rarely quit by running out of smokes. I still say if you would have bought her other items then you should have bought her the smokes.
Don't you own a cigarette shop?:shifty:
haha!! ;)

American Woman

Site Supporter
This is not the same thing....she would be hurting herself. Not a baby in the carriage. THAT would be different. But...Redneck and I both have friends that aren't faithful or they drink or smoke or drugs....We can't preach to them and change them. That would only push them away.
We CAN be a friend and set a good example.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
You didn't say that at first :hammer: Now it makes more sense to say no to her.
I stated in an earlier post that if she had made a promise to quit like Galvy did then I would have said no...
Sorry!!
Sometimes when I rant on, I am thinking from inside what I know, and what you all don't know..
Mmmkk.. I'll shut up now..:blush:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Don't you own a cigarette shop?:shifty:
haha!! ;)
Cigar shops. And yes they do sell cigarettes. But so what? I was talking principles. You seem to be arguing your personal judgement toward your fried. Does she do other things you don't approve of? Do you do things she doesn't approve of? How about other friends of yours, do you judge them too?

The Tourist

Banned
Sorry!! Sometimes when I rant on

No apology necessary. I'll take the lead here. I'm fully ready to rant! I'm aging into a population that is now paying the piper.

They figure that around 20% of the average American population smokes.

Go to a bike shop. More than 50% have cigarettes with them. Most are baby-boomers. Most have smoked from 20 to 40 years. You can actually hear the hacking of phlegm between the starting of V-twins.

It's my own personal disappointment.

You always heard that when challenged by a biker it was best to run. It's still a good idea.

Except now, most will run out of breath before they catch you...

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Cigar shops. And yes they do sell cigarettes. But so what? I was talking principles. You seem to be arguing your personal judgement toward your fried. Does she do other things you don't approve of? Do you do things she doesn't approve of? How about other friends of yours, do you judge them too?
I wasn't JUDGING HER.
I did what I felt was best, Sir.
I refused to buy her cigarettes because I knew she was trying to quit, John wants/wanted her to quit.
Looks like she hasn't.
Normally my friends and I are pretty accepting of what we do amongst ourselves, just so happens 5 out of 8 of my best friends are nurses.
We attempt to try and keep each other healthy.
What do you want me to do, buy her a carton of Winstons and call it a day?