• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Cigarettes

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Ok, here's the deal.
My friend Roxanne is a smoker.
She just called me and asked me if I was going anywhere today.
I said, yes.. I was going to the store for some vegetables and paper products.
She asked me if I'd swing by a drive-thru and get her two packs of cigarettes.
Her car is in for some major repairs, so she's stuck home (out in the boonies) because her husband is at work with the other vehicle and won't be home until after 4.
First of all, she's 11 miles from here.
Secondly, I don't feel right about buying her something to support her habit. AND driving out there to give them to her.
I told her no.
She went silent,then said fine!!! and hung up on me.
Man!
Was I wrong? should I have just bought the damn things to make her happy?
(I have a feeling she and the hubby got into it again, because he's been on her about kicking the habit)
:smileywac :confused:

rback33

Hangin in Tornado Alley
SUPER Site Supporter
I would rep you 500 times for this if I could. I think you did the right thing. It was wrong of her to impose to begin with, and for cancer sticks no less. I think you did the right thing. I would have said no too.The woman must be related to my mom though....:whistling:

Galvatron

Spock and Galvatron < one and the same
mean ass go pick up her ciggies:yum: and I'm running low too so if you can pop by Stevenage 20 min north of London that would be cool.....i will have 20 Marlborough lights.:yum::yum::yum:

Jokes aside it is a bad habit and i for 1 am putting my foot down and the last will be new years eve....im also having a year break of the booze and yes im serious....done it before and im doing it again.:biggrin:

Only true friends care.

Cowboyjg

Country Club Member
Site Supporter
Was I wrong? should I have just bought the damn things to make her happy?
(I have a feeling she and the hubby got into it again, because he's been on her about kicking the habit)
:smileywac :confused:

NO.... you are not wrong! If here friendship with you is based on whether or not you'd buy her cigarettes then it wasn't based on much. I'm the same way with people. I won't contribute to your habit. You want them....you buy them. Sorry if you hate me because of it.

cowgirl

Silver Member
Site Supporter
In college both my roommate and myself smoked. Towards the end of the year my roommate got pregnant. One day she asked me to pick her up some cigarettes. she stated she felt weriod buying them since people gave her dirty looks. Even being a smoker at the time, I told her no. I couldn't buy cigarettes for someone that was pregnant. Even now being an ex-smoker, I am with you PG I would say no.

k-dog

While you probably did the right thing, you probably should have just bought the smokes, but going 11 miles out of your way that would have been the sticking point for me. Fast food is bad for you too so if a friend at works asks you to pick them up a value meal or greaseburger deluxe, do you tell them NO? It is a tough call and I probably would have did the same thing you did but just thought I would add a little debate to the subject. :hide:

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Fast food is bad for you too so if a friend at works asks you to pick them up a value meal or greaseburger deluxe, do you tell them NO?
:hide:
No, I'd get the fast food.. always do.
I see a Big Mac and a pack of Winston's in quite a different light, myself.

rback33

Hangin in Tornado Alley
SUPER Site Supporter
Yes, we all know how nuts the English are.. ya bloody barm cake:rolf2:

THANK YOU ALL, yes.. I do feel much better.
Maybe I'll call her later and see if she's still ticked..:tongue:

I would. And politely explain why you could not in good moral conscience do it...:thumb:

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
My dad died when I was in 6th grade. Cause of death: cancer caused by smoking cigarettes.

I'd say you did well PG.

Dying this way is a horrible death, and the process takes years.

Just maybe this person will review their addiction. If so, you may have saved a life and positively affected many people related to this person.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
And politely explain why you could not in good moral conscience do it...:thumb:
Oh she knows darn well why I wouldn't do it.
Yes, I'll wait til this evening and call.. by then she would have gotten some, and she won't be bitchy from a raging nicotine fit.:neutral:

cj7

Well I am not sure how exactly you told her no but IMHO there was nothing wrong with saying No.

I am looking at it from another angle. You say she is 11 miles from you. So thats 22 miles from your home. (roughly) So the way I see it is it should not matter what she was asking for in the first place. IE: cigs, booze, or something healthy or a part for the car or insert whatever item here. The trip would take you way out of your way to do that favor. She should understand that sometimes friends can help and sometimes they can not.

Now if you made it a point to tell her she has a bad habit and you are not into enabling bad habits of others. Then she should understand that also.

If she is a good friend she will get over it.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
If she is a good friend she will get over it.

If she was a good friend, she would think about her friends and the grief she will cause during the death process and when she dies an avoidable death. Then she would stop smoking.

American Woman

Site Supporter
A true friend would'nt call and ask me to do something this selfish. I probably would have said I will try to run them by after I get done in town, and call way after 4pm to say I can't make it for some reason. By then it will be ok because her husband will be home. This type of person is just easier not to argue with. My REAL friends would not ask unless it were something important. Personally I wouldn't dream of asking a friend to go out of their way like that.
If this had been a real friend , and I was on my way over or by their house anyway, and they asked me to bring them cigarettes I probably would. If she were like Galvy and made a stand to quit....then I would have said no.
A pregnant woman I would not hesitate to say no. The baby she is carrying has no choice.

RNE228

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
I probably would have said I will try to run them by after I get done in town, and call way after 4pm to say I can't make it for some reason. By then it will be ok because her husband will be home. This type of person is just easier not to argue with.

I was thinking more along the lines of PG being nurse. Say "Oops, my on call nursing pager just went off; gotta go, bye" :D After you hang up, well, maybe it was the microwave, not the pager... Oh well:chris:

American Woman

Site Supporter
I was thinking more along the lines of PG being nurse. Say "Oops, my on call nursing pager just went off; gotta go, bye" :D After you hang up, well, maybe it was the microwave, not the pager... Oh well:chris:

I always blame it on the kids or Redneck.:yum:

The Tourist

Banned
It's been over 30 years since I quit smoking. It is truly an addiction.

Having said that, this is America, and if you want to kill yourself...

Of course, I would have bought her the strongest, crudest Turkish plain ends I could have found.

"They were out of your brand. These are the same, aren't they?"

Alonzo Tubbs

Carpe Diem
SUPER Site Supporter
I would have said "No", not because of my feelings towards smokers (I am one myself) but because of the drive for something non essential. If the call had been to pick up a prescription, there would have been no thought about it but she knew she was running low last night and could have gotten them when she had a ride. Tell her what ever you want but she's not going to quit until she wants to and nothing you can say will change that.

Locutus

Banned
If your friend was an alcoholic, would you have bought her a bottle of whiskey??? Of course not!

Never apologize for doing the right thing.

If you lose her friendship, she wasn't a true friend in the first place.

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
That bitch hung up on you!?!?!?!? YOu dont need a friend like that. If she was more than 3 miles away I would not have done it. Either way you dont need friends that are not understanding and not intelligent enough to even ask why. Lets egg her house!!!!!!! :glare::boxing:

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
My dad died when I was in 6th grade. Cause of death: cancer caused by smoking cigarettes.

I'd say you did well PG.

Dying this way is a horrible death, and the process takes years.

Just maybe this person will review their addiction. If so, you may have saved a life and positively affected many people related to this person.
Same with my Daddy Fred.. his beloved Kools that he'd smoked from age 14-64 (toward the end 4 packs a day) finally beat him.
I am a former smoker myself, so I know how hard it is to kick the habit.

A true friend would'nt call and ask me to do something this selfish.
She is a true friend. I've known her since college and we've been through a lot together.
Selfish? I'd say more like desperate- she knew I wouldn't do it when she called.

I was thinking more along the lines of PG being nurse. Say "Oops, my on call nursing pager just went off; gotta go, bye" After you hang up, well, maybe it was the microwave, not the pager... Oh well
haha!!

It's been over 30 years since I quit smoking. It is truly an addiction.

Having said that, this is America, and if you want to kill yourself...

Of course, I would have bought her the strongest, crudest Turkish plain ends I could have found.

"They were out of your brand. These are the same, aren't they?"
It's been likened to kicking heroin. Those of you who've ever quit, or tried to know exactly how bad it is.
Personally Chico, a box of French Gitanes would have been more appropriate.
NASTY nasty cigarettes!! ewwwww

Tell her what ever you want but she's not going to quit until she wants to and nothing you can say will change that.
Yup..

That bitch hung up on you!?!?!?!? YOu dont need a friend like that. If she was more than 3 miles away I would not have done it. Either way you dont need friends that are not understanding and not intelligent enough to even ask why. Lets egg her house!!!!!!!
LOL simmer down there man!!

Update: I didn't have to call her. She called me.
Full of apology and remorse.
Why? Well.. she said it's because she hung up on me.
I think it's because as soon as the hubby got home she shot out to the gas station and bought her cigs.
She told me she's having a New Years Eve party tomorrow night.
Guess what?
I AM BUSY hehe

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Could it be because she felt bad about the whole conversation?
Possibly, maybe.. but you'd have to know her.
I am sure she was a bit sorry, but I think having the fix is what made her call me, otherwise I wouldn't have heard a word from her for weeks.
Trust me.