• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

What a great company Dell is....NOT

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
As a few of you may recall, my home town was devastated by a tornado on November 6th, 2005. Dozens were killed and several hundred homes and businesses were destroyed. The reason I mention this is because it has something to do with the kind corporate Dell.

You see, I purchased a couple of computers from Dell in late October 2005 from Dell. These computers had a couple hundred dollars of rebates on them. First off, Dell does NOT send you any rebate forms nor any instructions on how to redeem the rebates, or even let you know that you have a rebate available. You have to call them and inquire as to how to claim your rebate. That took most of one day getting through to someone. Then, see how easy it is to find the "appropriate" rebate form for what you may have purchased. I assure you, it isn't happening very easily.

Anyway, I donated several days of my time to helping the tornado victims and the clean up effort. At the time, trying to navigate the Dell maze to get their rebate was not the first thing on my mind. After I helped as much as I could with the rescue and clean up efforts, I began the process again of getting my Dell rebate forms sent in. I navigated the numerous pages and finally found the correct form and filled it out. I made sure that I included all proper documentation etc. and mailed out my rebate claim forms. Afterall, it was for a couple hundred dollars.

About a month and a half later I receive a letter from Dell telling me that my rebate has been denied, I was one day late in sending in my rebate forms. They begin the 30 day window to send in their rebate forms the day they ship the computer from their factory! Besides being upset that it is obvious that Dell has made their rebate process so difficult that I'm sure that a good portion of people simply give up, they now slam me for one day.

Not to give up yet, I send them newspaper clippings, website links etc. showing them why I was one day late; my time spent helping the tornado victims. I thought that surely a upright company like Dell would understand that helping my fellow neighbor in a time of disaster would be a legitimate excuse for being one day late, especially considering that they begin their 30 day time frame when they ship from their factory; a rather cheap shot at trying to prevent people from redeeming their rebates anyway. Dell responded to me that although it is regrettable that we had dozens killed by the tornado and hundreds left homeless, I should have known better and made sure that I honored my obligation to Dell and gotten my rebate form in within the 30 day window from their shipping date. Their final word is that they are going to screw me out of $200 for helping out our tornado victims.

I realize that this sounds like a personal issue, but I'd just like everyone to know what kind of company Dell is. They have made it clear that they wouldn't walk across the street to piss on you if you were on fire. They intentionally make it nearly impossible to find their rebate forms. They also later billed me $55 for a "Windows Training Guide" that I never agreed to purchase. I found that little surprise on my credit card. When questioned on that, Dell told me that most people appreciate them doing so. I had to call my credit card company and refuse that charge since I never agreed to that, and never would have agreed for a Windows Training Guide!

After my experience with Dell and their response to me proving that they are now leaches who will steal from you and have no compunction to screw you out of a rebate, I'll never buy anything from Dell again. Unless you are ready to spend hours trying to make sure you chase down their elusive rebate forms and watch your credit card for later charges tacked on without your knowledge, I'd highly recommend not buying from Dell. I assume their company must be hard up for cash, but they have crossed the line with me. Dell can go to Hell!!! :mad:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I think every computer buyer, who has purchased multiple computers has a horror story to tell about some brand. While my experience with Dell is not as bad as yours has been, I would generally agree that they are not as good as the claims I hear. We pretty much give up on them when it comes to service, etc. One thing that really turned me off is that they have multiple divisions selling from what my computer guys tell me are exactly the same computers, but at different prices. And the prices go up and down, seemingly daily. Funny thing is if you price out accessories or other things they sell you will often get 2 or 3 different prices from them on the same day from the different divisions.

And on a personal note, if you were on fire, I wouldn't piss on you either. The steam rising from your body would likely ruin the flavor of the marshmallows I'd be trying to roast! :yum:

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I totally agree, Dell is pretty bad on the service front.........unless you pay for the extended service contracts etc.................I bought a laptop from them, it went bad in 4 months, got another one..........they tried to stiff me with a used refurb..........NOT even going to happen. So they start me a brand new one..........get it soon enough..........open it up, start it up, bad harddrive out of box. I sent BOTH of them back, and they called me to ask why..........:yum: . Well I just told them to keep their cheap junk, I bought a toshiba, no gem either but 2 times everything for less money. I did get all my money back from Dell, 2 times, once in credit on my account, and once as a check refund.............I tore it up.

Wont buy or recommend them at all.

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
I bought a HP computer at Staples and was late in filing the paper work for the rebate. When I got the postcard, I called and the reinstated the rebate and told me that they have a 15 day grace period that they extend the deadline if you call. Got $300 back on a $600 computer between Staples instant rebates and the HP rebate checks.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Junkman said:
I bought a HP computer at Staples and was late in filing the paper work for the rebate. When I got the postcard, I called and the reinstated the rebate and told me that they have a 15 day grace period that they extend the deadline if you call. Got $300 back on a $600 computer between Staples instant rebates and the HP rebate checks.

I have experienced the same sort of service from most reputable companies. First off Dell screws you out of about a week of their month since they start the day they ship it, and weekend days still count towards your 30 days as well as holidays. Also, I honestly think that most reputable companies would have given me a 1 day grace period when I could prove that it was most extraordinary circumstances that made me that one day late. Not Dell!! :finger1: I consider that the Dell salute. I hope one of their corporate bastards reads this site. I'm honestly considering the thought of having my story published in our local paper. They are doing stories of where companies have stepped up and helped those effected and those who helped. I'd like to show how Dell helped! I think it would serve them right to lose a couple hundred sales for screwing me and people like me! Sorry, once again, :finger2: Dell and the horse they rode in on!!

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
I have been thinking of the Dell policy where the warranty starts the day that they ship the unit, not the day you receive the unit. I believe that if you call your States Attorney Generals office, they will tell you that the practice is illegal. I know that if your car is in for warranty service, that the warranty is extended for the same amount of time that you don't have it because of the service. Only time that they can start a warranty before you received it is if they can't figure out exactly when it was delivered. I would also consider bringing a action in the small claims court in your county. They will have to at least answer the complaint, even if they can show that the complaint needs to be brought in another jurisdiction. I know that around here the television stations love to get their teeth into these type of problems and then strong arm the company into doing the right thing or they really get blasted with bad publicity. You might not get your $200, but you will give them at least $200 worth of aggravation and bad publicity. If you paid for it on your American Express Card, get them involved. They take the card holders side every time, no matter what.

messickfarmequ

Charter Member
B_Skurka said:
One thing that really turned me off is that they have multiple divisions selling from what my computer guys tell me are exactly the same computers, but at different prices.

This is 100% true. The business division sells the same PC's and the home side does - its just a different case. However the small business machines are often cheaper depending on the rebate of the day (its like the stock market). I usually buy the $299 small business PC that comes with no software. They load so much junk software on it anyway it kills the performance of the machine right out of the box. Frankly, I still buy their stuff cause no one else is any better.