• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Wind resistance?

The Tourist

Banned
I'm going to be putting a solid chrome rear wheel on my 2004 Dyna Glide "Black Betty" as she goes into winter storage.

Truth be told, I'm tired of trying to flush dirt out of her stock mag wheel struts. No matter how long I detail, there's always one area that needs more care.

Here's the problem. Back when the V-Rod first came out, that bike came shipped with solid wheels. The urban legend sprung up that solid wheels push the bike in wind gusts.

I'm not sure I believe that. Even a conventional mag wheel spins so fast that I don't see how any cross-draft is vented.

Do any of you guys know for sure?

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
Never noticed it on my Fat Boy (OEM Disc wheels). Windshields make a much bigger difference. The Road King (Cast Spoke wheels) and Fat Boy with windshield handled wind very similarly.

My Road Glide (frame mount fairing and OEM cast spoke wheels) is a freight train on the road, regardless of wind conditions.

The Tourist

Banned
Thanks for the reply. Here's Betty. She's a 2004 Dyna, 95-inch engine, 203 cams, pushrods, a CVO inverted fork on a 21-inch wheel. I added a "few" chrome pieces.

DSC00252.jpg

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
An older pic of my '00 Road Glide and the wife's '02 Road King.

Attachments

• RG 2.JPG
    RG 2.JPG
    99.5 KB · Views: 125
  • RK 1.JPG
    RK 1.JPG
    102.5 KB · Views: 123