• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Can this Forum Survive?

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
"A fun place to talk about anything" is the forum motto.

Many of us weren't banned but I personally felt constrained as to what I could discuss elsewhere.

The common bond is that we can discuss anything. The many topics in the forum index is for organization. Yea, there's a lot of forum sections but if you can discuss anything, many are needed.

I don't have the stats for current activity, but I wouldn't say these #s are too bad considering how long the forum has been here.
Threads: 2,038, Posts: 21,489, Members: 233

You have suggestions?
Good bump Brian. You got me to go back and reread Ibrahams / Gatorboys 1st post on FF. :D That was back in Jan 2006. 3 years later and we've grown 10 fold. And I'm happy to say that the majority of the folks that replied to this original thread are still here and active, even gatorboy. :thumb:

There are bigger forums and there are faster growing forums but I'm happy with the fact that I keep getting compliments on the quality of mods and people in general who participate on this forum. Thanks to you all!!!! :tiphat: :applause: :clap:

Galvatron

Spock and Galvatron < one and the same
Forums are a funny thing...most fail but as proven here if you just keep popping back and post time to time it will survive.

Good Admin with a team of Mods that share a similar vision cant fail....congrats to all of you for hanging in there.

rback33

Hangin in Tornado Alley
SUPER Site Supporter
Interesting bump to me since I have not been around near as much in the past. Still a great place and I have made some great friends here, but things have just seemed different over the last few months. Maybe it's me and I am just crazy but... Maybe it's that several of my closer friends are not here anymore... I don't know what it is.... Maybe it's the time of year.. who knows.... one thing though.... Dave was wrong and I am glad he was. :whistling:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Maybe it's the time of year.
That's quite common and I see it every year on all the forums.

This period between about mid-January and the beginning of May is unique. People have cabin-fever, no vacations or holidays, taxes are due, post-holiday (Christmas) bills to take care of, it's cold/snowy/rainy/miserable outside, not much time outdoors, not feeling productive... The list goes on-and-on. In general, people are in as good of mood as they can be (or normally are) and it shows.

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
Rereading this thread was great fun, thanks Brian!

Almost made me want to revisit the Who Is the Mole thread...... of course, forumsforums is now too large and too established to enjoy the implications of it - even if 99% of the people participating in the thread knew it was just in good fun.

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I am also very very very impressed that you were able to come to that conclusion after only 48 hours of membership and seven total posts. :applause:

Gator has been around since 2006, maybe even before me and I am a charter member. I like the fun here, we have class clowns (sushi you are a bud anyway), we have the intellects (a bunch of you on differing subjects) and we have guys like Gator, who's opinion might not be popular, but at least it gives thought. We have new people (hi Caitlin) we have bday celebrations.............and we have smiley's......:whistling::clap::w00t2::yum::hammer::flowers:

doc and the mods ROCK!

and we have some that bring up threads from 2006...............so i dont read the date on the original post, pick on me

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Some humor, some serious posts and honesty! I think you guys are doing alright. I can't remember if I ever joined that other forum but I know I quit going there and to others because of the petty stuff. I like catching hell at times and getting advice also. Keeps a body aware and alive. Thanks Doc and all you guys!

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm glad Doc has this place, he's made it fun by letting us have a lot of liberties. The Mods that I get to work with are super.

And most important are the members. THEY are what made FF the way it is today.

duflochy

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
I think this forum has everything it needs to survive and I havent been banned from anywhere......

rc2james

Site Supporter
I know that I am new here but I have noticed over the years that the strength of any forum is in the diversity of its membership, which this forum has in abundance. A true adult forum is hard to come by on the internet today and one that has a membership with mechanical and electrical aptitude is truly exceptional.

The only thing that I could see endangering this forum would be a sudden outbreak of wanton cannibalism. Just to be on the safe side, I’m stocking up on barbeque sauce and human sized baking bags.

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
I know that I am new here but I have noticed over the years that the strength of any forum is in the diversity of its membership, which this forum has in abundance. A true adult forum is hard to come by on the internet today and one that has a membership with mechanical and electrical aptitude is truly exceptional.

The only thing that I could see endangering this forum would be a sudden outbreak of wanton cannibalism. Just to be on the safe side, I’m stocking up on barbeque sauce and human sized baking bags.
does that mean structured or logical cannibalism would be acceptable?
or only eating libertines or those that dress provocatively?

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Interesting bump to me since I have not been around near as much in the past. Still a great place and I have made some great friends here, but things have just seemed different over the last few months.
Amen Jeremy.
Oh it'll survive, because of the mod team and Doc at the helm.
Things change and people move on, as was mentioned-forum activity seems to wane during different seasons.
As for myself, I'm just next door having a blast. :smile:

rc2james

Site Supporter
does that mean structured or logical cannibalism would be acceptable?
or only eating libertines or those that dress provocatively?

That would be a consideration but I was thinking of starting with the homeless. They are a problem in most cities and would be easy to catch. :smile:

On the topic of the forum, I (like many others I’m sure) do more reading than posting. I thoroughly enjoy the light-hearted posts that poke fun at our overly serious day-to-day lives. I work ten hours a day and don’t always feel like posting but I still stop in everyday to see what people are saying.

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
That would be a consideration but I was thinking of starting with the homeless. They are a problem in most cities and would be easy to catch. :smile:

too many internal parasites and difficult to clean properly, so make sure you cook thoroughly...

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
too many internal parasites and difficult to clean properly, so make sure you cook thoroughly...

Many of them are pre-marinaded with fine wines like Night Train, so I'm guessing the parasites wouldn't be too problemsom. Still, well done would be prudent.

Galvatron

Spock and Galvatron < one and the same
On the topic of the forum, I (like many others I’m sure) do more reading than posting. I thoroughly enjoy the light-hearted posts that poke fun at our overly serious day-to-day lives. I work ten hours a day and don’t always feel like posting but I still stop in everyday to see what people are saying.

You Sir are what forums are all about....escaping reality just for a brief breath from what can be a pain in the ass day....Reps from me.

Bulldog1401

Anybody seen my marbles?
SUPER Site Supporter
Wow nearly 2 1/2 years already. Time flies when you are having fun.

These forums are what we put into them. Period.

Engaging and well thought out posts/debates equal an interesting place to stay.

Even handed moderators who value an interesting exchange and apply just the right amount of supervison to keep things positive are a big part.

The lack of trolls and troublemakers helps a lot. (We have had a few over time but they didn't stay, go figgure....:whistling:)

Unfortunately we have lost a few very valuable members over time as well.

All in all, this is the best forum I have ever used, and many others agree.

This has everything to do with the great job the moderators, and especially Doc, have done to keep this place civil, and fun.

And the character of the members who keep returning with an open mind and the idea of contributing positively to the experience. :clap::clap::clap:

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I don't think so, it is ever changing and will continue to do so. Plus the snow cat guys will be here anyway....:whistling:

We're just in a lull right now, with some rumbling in the back ground. With time, we will evolve to yet another "personality" and the forum will go on.

Regards, Kirk

Kane

I don't think so, it is ever changing and will continue to do so. Plus the snow cat guys will be here anyway....:whistling:

We're just in a lull right now, with some rumbling in the back ground. With time, we will evolve to yet another "personality" and the forum will go on.

Regards, Kirk
The 2014 mid-terms and the 2016 general election come to mind.

And unless global warming makes sno-cats obsolete, ForumsForums will live on.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Who is Ibrahim? :ermm:
Not going to read the whole thread again but if it's whom I'm thinking it is, he owns another forum that many of us were on. It was a "focused" site so anytime one of us discussed something more general, the thread would get deleted and we would get a slap on the hand. A lot of us wanted to chat together about more then xyz (the focus of the other forum) so Doc created this "open" forum so we could discuss anything.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
We'll always be here for some to crawl out of they're hole to take a peek!

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
This forum has survived longer than I ever thought, however, does the future look bleak?

Well keep predicting this forum's death and eventually I would say you will be right. :w00t2 I'd say your earlier predictions of this forums demise were greatly exaggerated.

ki0ho

GOLD Site Supporter
gatorboy, yeah. the forum is here, yet. ur here. many others, too.

I think that the lady got it about right!!!!!!!...And to whom it may consern...thanks for allowing me to be a small part of the.....HodgePodge.....Forum......I can not think of a topic that hasent been explored!!!!!......about the only way it will die is if DOC....just pulles the plug!!!!! thats my 1 and 1/2 cents worth......:wink: