• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

College saga continues . . .

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Melen was just accepted to Wake Forest University (#27) in Winston-Salem, NC

Its the highest ranked school to which she has gotten an acceptance. She was "wait listed" at U of C (#4) and at Washington U (#14), which is sort of an acceptance. (EDIT):She was also "wait listed" at Boston College. Basically it says we want you but we don't have a spot for you, if a spot opens we will call you.

Oh, and on the down side she was rejected by Northwestern (#12). [strike]She's waiting to hear from Boston College (#31) but I believe she may have been rejected and am simply waiting for the formal letter. [/strike]

She still waiting to hear from Harvard (#1), Johns-Hopkins (#13), William & Mary (#33) and Lehigh (#37). Even if accepted to Lehigh I do not believe she will attend. My best guess is that her first choice may be Johns-Hopkins. One of her other top choices is William & Mary, but they only accept 1/3 of their freshman class from "out of state" so its very tough to get into that school if you don't have a Virginia address.

She has already been accepted by Xavier (Regional #4) and Fordham (#58).

Her criteria for picking a school caused her to bypass many other choices. She wanted a school that was roughly 5000 to 7500 students. So that knocked out many quality small and large schools. She wanted a school that was NOT in a rural area, again, knocking out many quality schools. She wanted a suburban or urban campus, again knocking out many other schools. She also wanted a school that was a 'research' university.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 173

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
If she makes it into Washington U Franc could be a "surrogate Dad" as needed. He's just down the street after all! :flowers:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well we shall see what happens.

We are sort of taking all this one step at a time and hoping she gets to college in the fall.

She's actually scheduled for major back surgery 2 days after she graduates from high school (end of May). Steel rod, lots of screws, quite a bit of drilling and a scar running from the base of her neck to her lower back. At which point the surgeons tell us that she should be recovered enough to attend school in the fall. It may put halt on her fencing career. Fencing season for college is wintertime, even if she makes it to school she may not be released for sports.

We've got our fingers crossed that all will go well and that she will attend school in the fall (75% probability) but there may be a deferred admittance to have her start up a semester late ... depending on the recovery from surgery.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well Melen was NOT rejected by Boston College.

She got "wait listed" at Boston College.

There were over 33,000 applications for 1325 openings. Its not my favorite school, very urban. Not ranked as high as Wake Forest either. But I think it might be a more fun place to go than Wake Forest.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Racial discrimination hits home :hammer:

Melen attends a school that is about 49% white, 51% various minorities. Among her best friends are bi-racial, black and hispanic kids. Her best friend is a hispanic-asian. Her prom date this year is a nice black boy on the fencing team. She (and we) have been very open to all races, religions, etc in her circle of friends.

But today things seemed to boil over on several fronts. Several minority students were "accepted" to places like Northwestern, Notre Dame, etc and they have grade point averages that are well below Melen's and several of her friends. In some cases the minority students have GPAs that are a full point below the top of the class kids.

Melen and several of her friends at the 'top of the class' have GPAs in the 4.5 to 4.7 range (out of a possible 4). They achieve these averages by taking college classes in high school and getting A's in those classes. So now as pressure builds to get into the nation's elite schools she is seeing racial profiling and racial favoritism. Minority kids with GPAs of 3.5 (B+) and minimal extracurricular activities are getting acceptance letters while white kids with GPAs of 4.0 to 4.7 (A+ to A+++) and who are presidents/captains of clubs/teams are getting "wait listed" at the very same schools.

Ahhh my child, welcome to the culture of "fairness."

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter

Melen attends a school that is about 49% white, 51% various minorities. Among her best friends are bi-racial, black and hispanic kids. Her best friend is a hispanic-asian. Her prom date this year is a nice black boy on the fencing team. She (and we) have been very open to all races, religions, etc in her circle of friends.

But today things seemed to boil over on several fronts. Several minority students were "accepted" to places like Northwestern, Notre Dame, etc and they have grade point averages that are well below Melen's and several of her friends. In some cases the minority students have GPAs that are a full point below the top of the class kids.

Melen and several of her friends at the 'top of the class' have GPAs in the 4.5 to 4.7 range (out of a possible 4). They achieve these averages by taking college classes in high school and getting A's in those classes. So now as pressure builds to get into the nation's elite schools she is seeing racial profiling and racial favoritism. Minority kids with GPAs of 3.5 (B+) and minimal extracurricular activities are getting acceptance letters while white kids with GPAs of 4.0 to 4.7 (A+ to A+++) and who are presidents/captains of clubs/teams are getting "wait listed" at the very same schools.

Being honest, forthright and fair is a virtue. But, being virtuos isn't a gaurrenttee of being treated with honest forthright fairness.

We live in a nation that not only tolerates those who butt up in line but actually seems to promote it. am reminded of the liberal daughter who's conservative father aske her to give up some of her high grades to a friend who, instead of dutiful study, partied in school and was failing. Affirmative actin has it's place but anymore, it is just another form of wealth redistribution.

Except now we are redistributing the acheivement of excellence.

We are not leveling the playing field anymore. We are leveling the acheivements of all to mediocre. Sadly Melen is a victim. But, I sense she will refuse to be a causualty.

Last edited:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
. . .

Except now we are redistributing the acheivement of excellence.

We are not leveling the playing field anymore. We are leveling the acheivments of all to mediocre. Sadly Melen is a victim. Bt I sense she will refuse to be a causualty.

The more she sees of the 'culture of fairness' the more conservative she becomes :clap:

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
She's actually scheduled for major back surgery 2 days after she graduates from high school (end of May). Steel rod, lots of screws, quite a bit of drilling and a scar running from the base of her neck to her lower back.
Yipes! :eek:

This is so horribly wrong, the best man (or woman) should get the job. Affirmative action sucks, just no way to justify this kind of garbage.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
She is actually looking forward to it. As parents, Mrs Bob and I are pretty freaked out. Recover will take all summer. Physical therapy will be pretty intense.

This is so horribly wrong, the best man (or woman) should get the job. Affirmative action sucks, just no way to justify this kind of garbage.
Yup. Not sure what else to say. Its a sad reality when the obvious achievers/performers are passed over in the name of "fairness" and "tolerance." I've never cared what race or sex an employee was, I always cared how the job was done and how much work was accomplished. In my career I had many blacks, hispanics, men and women in positions of importance, not because I tried to meet any quota but becasue they EXCELLED in their jobs. I've tried to be honest with Melen about life. Her mother and I have done our best to lead by example. But sometimes the ugly parts of life rear up and raise their demonic heads. So now we see many of Melen's top achieving friends being passed over by elite schools and ended up at 'state' schools. Melen has clearly been passed over by some of the elite schools to which she has applied, but because she applied to so many the odds were in her favor of getting into at least a couple elite schools. Many of her friends applied to a couple elite schools but could not afford to apply to a dozen of them, like Melen did, and consequently they will end up at a school that they should be able to walk through without any real effort. Its sad that kids who could be challenged, and who will rise to meet those challenges will now be stars at an average school, while students who were artificially raised to elite schools will probably perform at only average levels . . . like they did in a college prep high school.

loboloco

Good luck on her surgery. Tell Melen that Wake is not that bad. Besides, she probably needs exposure to some southern charm.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Good luck on her surgery. Tell Melen that Wake is not that bad. Besides, she probably needs exposure to some southern charm.

Wake Forest has a beautiful campus, all the stuff she needs/wants. But my wife is biased against it. My wife says that Wake Forest is where fun goes to die.

Kane

Yes, welcome to the Progressive's race to mediocrity. And if Hussein get's his way, once she's out of school she can look forward to more "fairness" in the job market.

Hussein with his bigoted Secretary of Labor.

Everywhere we look we can find another one of Hussein's commie appointees, fighting for affirmative action and so-called civil rights.

Like Hussein said about the Constitution: "It is inherently flawed, and I intend to 'fix' it with a series of legislative reparations and wealth redistribution."

Someday, under the Progressive's rule, we will all become medioc ... oops, 'equal'.

Last edited:

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
Yes, welcome to the Progressive's race to mediocrity. And if Hussein get's his way, once she's out of school she can look forward to more "fairness" in the job market.

It's actually worse out in the so-called "real world" these days. But I have a gut feeling she's going to make it anyway! :flowers::clap:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well chalk up a minor victory for Wake Forest University.

They have a fencing club. That may cause Melen to lean toward picking Wake Forest as her school of choice. She seems to have Fordham as one of her perennial favorites, but it doesn't seem to really have an active fencing club. I don't think she really wants to compete too much in fencing anymore, she's been doing it for 5+ years, but I think she actually likes the social aspects of fencing teams/clubs so that may be swaying some of her opinion.

Oh, and we found out she was denied by WILLIAM & MARY yesterday. That was a shock to me. Her grades and test scores are well above their acceptance averages and standards. But then again, Wm & Mary is a state school that is required to accept 2/3rds of its students from Virginia so out of state students are at a serious disadvantage.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Well we shall see what happens.

We are sort of taking all this one step at a time and hoping she gets to college in the fall.

She's actually scheduled for major back surgery 2 days after she graduates from high school (end of May). Steel rod, lots of screws, quite a bit of drilling and a scar running from the base of her neck to her lower back. At which point the surgeons tell us that she should be recovered enough to attend school in the fall. It may put halt on her fencing career. Fencing season for college is wintertime, even if she makes it to school she may not be released for sports.

We've got our fingers crossed that all will go well and that she will attend school in the fall (75% probability) but there may be a deferred admittance to have her start up a semester late ... depending on the recovery from surgery.

Bob, I truly wish your daughter the very best. I can't say "been there, done that", but my daughter's brain tumor issues showed their first symptoms the 2nd day of college for her. She had to miss her entire first year of college with the two brain surgeries she's had. Even though she is still not "fixed", Mel (what my daughter, Melanie, goes by) has already made up that lost year with extremely heavy class loads and not coming home during the summers and has kept up her 4.0 GPA all the while having to go to the IU Med Center on average about once a week due to severe migraines. We feel blessed that she has great roommates who have 'adopted' her as their sister.

From what I've read, our daughters seem to share the same motivation and drive for success. Even though I just don't make bets, I'd be willing to bet that your daughter will attend a very good undergrad school and be very successful and then, more importantly, have her choice of post-grad schools to continue her education. Here's to all the best for her :beer:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Brent, thanks for the good wishes.

Melen has been accepted to several schools now and each is a well ranked school. She'll probably do well wherever she goes, its just about the time for her to start to make final choices.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Looks like Melen has picked Wake Forest as her college choice. Of the 5 schools that accepted her, Wake Forest is the only one offer ZERO scholarship $$$. Every other school is in the $17,000 to $22,000 per year range with their scholarships.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Interesting conversation with Melen's doctor. We went in for a pre-operative consultation to get some forms filled out. The doctor asked Melen about college. The doctor's son is also a bright kid, she said he is in the running for valedictorian at the largest school in the county. Her son got turned down by a couple colleges he applied to.

Just like Melen, he also got passed over by some elite schools only to see some minority students with FAR LOWER grades, and FAR FEWER extra-curriculars get accepted to the same schools that these 2 kids were denied by.

So the question came up . . . How do you tell your kids to be the BEST and they will get what they deserve? The reality is very different.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
So the question came up . . . How do you tell your kids to be the BEST and they will get what they deserve? The reality is very different.

I've told my kids that the cards are stacked against them and they will have to be twice as good as the best to even get a fair chance.

I'm also not prepared to spend money sending them to a fancy college for an undergraduate degree unless it is a science or math degree and they are accepted with some form of realistic chance of success.

Otherwise, it's the local state school for them and they will have to work their way through to a graduate school. If they want it hard enough they will have to work to get it.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've told my kids that the cards are stacked against them and they will have to be twice as good as the best to even get a fair chance. . .
You are a wiser man than I.

Honestly the conversation with the doctor devolved down to a chat about how we would have actually encouraged out kids to look at totally different colleges because the schools are so bent on "diversity" for the sake of diversity. Its pretty aparent that many of the schools favor 'diversity' over quality.

At this point Melen is looking to study biology and genetics as her majors (double major) and going on for a Phd. Of course that is all subject to change, but that is the current plan.

And while that will probably get her employed pretty easily, its really sad that people who spend their time actually achieving good grades, surpassing their peers in studies, are being fed the big lie. :hammer:

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Its really sad that people who spend their time actually achieving good grades, surpassing their peers in studies, are being fed the big lie. :hammer:

Sad is an understatement but I saw the writing on the wall when I was younger. I was told by a recruiter that the military in Canada didn't want me as long as I was white, didn't have a university degree that was in demand, and didn't speak fluent french (late 80's - not much going on in the world). Friends that wanted to be RCMP officers were essentially told the same thing. It's only gotten worse since then.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
So I am packing up the 2013 Chevy Suburban (got it from my nephew for the week) to take Melen to Wake Forest in Winston-Salem, NC tomorrow. BECAUSE SHE HAS TOO MUCH CRAP TO FIT INTO MY TOUAREG.

She comes up and says that the permanent retainer glued in her mouth just broke loose :sad:

OK great, its 3 something in the afternoon and we are due to depart at 8am tomorrow morning. Fine, hop in the car and drive into town to the orthodontist to get it fixed. Office is CLOSED :doh:

Start driving to their office the next town northwest of here and get on the phone to let them know we are coming. Answering service answers, says that office is closed too :doh:

OK, is there ANY office open today? She gives me a phone number for the office on the other side of the county and off we head to that one. Calling on the way I get some imprecise directions but have a rough idea. Get there, its on the edge of the ghetto and I'm wearing my shooting team shirt, standing out like a raisin in the sun. Oh well. Into the waiting room we go. To my surprise they take Melen in the back almost immediately. 5 minutes later she is out. Seriously 5 minutes. The bill . . . $125 :glare:

But off we go, college bound tomorrow.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
You are a wiser man than I.

Honestly the conversation with the doctor devolved down to a chat about how we would have actually encouraged out kids to look at totally different colleges because the schools are so bent on "diversity" for the sake of diversity. Its pretty aparent that many of the schools favor 'diversity' over quality.

At this point Melen is looking to study biology and genetics as her majors (double major) and going on for a Phd. Of course that is all subject to change, but that is the current plan.

And while that will probably get her employed pretty easily, its really sad that people who spend their time actually achieving good grades, surpassing their peers in studies, are being fed the big lie. :hammer:

I think I found that "diversity" garbage a few years ago when my daughter was rejected from Duke. Literally, she has never even received a single "B" even on a test and positively NEVER on a report card. She raised the most money for Riley Children's Hospital for her senior project than had been raised by any high school student. She was captain of the varsity soccer team, captain of the varsity cheerleaders, class president and logged more hours volunteering tutoring others in school than anyone else. On top of that, she only missed 2 questions on the SAT. All of that and Duke flat rejected her in a week?! :hammer:

She wanted to take the SAT again because she felt she could get a perfect score but I told her it didn't matter. If she couldn't get in with her credentials and did not even get a single free ride offer, getting two questions more right on the SAT wasn't going to help her. I like the colleges that claim they are an "equal opportunity" school and that race, gender (incorrect usage of the word; you have a 'sex', NOT a 'gender'), creed, religion etc. did not matter. Then later on the application they wanted her to include a recent color photo of herself! :whistling::hammer::hammer::hammer: What do you want to bet, if I used a different photo, she not only would have gotten in any college, but would have received numerous free ride offers?!

I wish your Mel the best. My Mel will be a senior next year since she made up the full year she missed with her two brain surgeries and has maintained her perfect 4.0 GPA in IU's hardest classes. I think she said there are under 50 in her class now with 4.0 GPA's who are headed towards med school. The rest have been weeded out (um, like I was) and either won't make it to med school or changed majors. So, Bob, what do you think about IU's Med School? Her counsellors seem to now be guiding her towards applying for med school there. I see a LOT of physicians with their diploma from IU Med School. Is it worth it for her to fight the system and try to get in at Harvard Med School? As you know, she does have one slight advantage to applying there if she keeps her perfect GPA and performs well on her LSATS.