• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Looking at ARAI helmets ... any thoughts?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Looking at picking up a couple of ARAI "Defiant Pro-Cruise" helmets.

Anyone have a helmet they like better? I've got HJC and BELL helmets currently, but nothing of this quality, which is a major step up from a basic DOT approved helmet.

VIDEO >>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35lGcaM53kY

This model is being replaced but the Defiant X, which has an a few very very minor differences, but because this is a model that is being replaced, I'm finding it discounted into the $500 to $600 range depending upon the specific model.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-08-10 at 5.09.43 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-08-10 at 5.09.43 PM.png
    282.5 KB · Views: 184
  • Screen Shot 2018-08-11 at 9.20.44 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-08-11 at 9.20.44 PM.png
    195.4 KB · Views: 254
  • Screen Shot 2018-08-11 at 9.20.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-08-11 at 9.20.15 PM.png
    160.9 KB · Views: 190

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Don't have any experience with that brand but I do like my HJC more than the Bell.

Have you considered a flip-up helmet? When I'm riding hard, I grab the HJC full-face but for casual riding where I want to talk with others, sip a drink or whatever, I prefer my flip-up helmet. Sometimes, I just don't want the full face so I can just flip up the chin area or leave it down.

Mine is a Zeus as I think they were about the only game in town about 10 years ago but many name-brand companies now make them.

lrgscaleSchuberth-C3-Flip-Front-Up-Helmet-Plain-Anthracite-2.jpg

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Also thinking of helmets, what's your plan for inter-bike communications? Mine is old-school inside the helmet headsets connected to FRS radios and handlebar PTT (or can use VOX) but new helmets have bluetooth. Not sure how the bluetooth works as it relates to inter-bike communications but at least you can listen to music.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Don't have any experience with that brand but I do like my HJC more than the Bell.

Have you considered a flip-up helmet? ...
I did, they are nice, but weigh more. I like that helmet you show but want maximum protection and the internal visors mean that there is less padding, and no way to get a SNELL rating in addition to a DOT rating. I am looking for something that has both. I also wanted a sun visor, ARAI put it on the outside of the helmet so it could get both the SNELL & DOT safety rating, if flips up to use as a shade and down to use instead of sunglasses. Seems to be a good trade off.

This helmet does have lots of ventilation, which (I am hoping) should offset some of the need for the flip up feature.

Also thinking of helmets, what's your plan for inter-bike communications? Mine is old-school inside the helmet headsets connected to FRS radios and handlebar PTT (or can use VOX) but new helmets have bluetooth. Not sure how the bluetooth works as it relates to inter-bike communications but at least you can listen to music.
Bluetooth systems are add on systems and it seems that most of the premium helmets make some allowance for adding those.

This particular helmet has small tear-outs for the speakers so you don't get a pressure point from the speaker.

There are a few brands of communicators out there, I'm exploring those, don't currently use any so its all new to me. But I've been reading. Looks like the better systems integrate with your smart phone so you can stream music, audiobooks, take a phone call, and talk to a small group (usually about 4 total) of riders. Some will share music with the other riders, etc. SENA seems to be a name that pops up regularly for these devices. They even have a system that integrates with a GO PRO camera and another that has a built in camera that is attached to the outside of the helmet.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The one I pictured was just an example. No idea what it is. My Zeus is DOT and Snell.

Old link on the Zeus (since my helmet is about this vintage) which shows DOT/Snell.
https://www.webbikeworld.com/zeus-zs-3000-helmet-review/

Here's a page that has hundreds of helmet weights. Looks like some of the flip-ups are getting reasonable weight at just over 3 pounds but several are in the 4 pound range including the model I have.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Historically these have been around for a long time. :yum:

Seriously, nothing to add to the conversation. Have not ridden in 20 years. Technology moves on. Sorry, could not resist.

Screen Shot 2018-08-12 at 1.23.05 PM.png

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Its bad when your helmet cost more than the thing you're riding ............ :)

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Its bad when your helmet cost more than the thing you're riding ............ :)

Only got 1 brain but I have 2 butt cheeks so I need less protection there :th_lmao:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well I found the helmet on sale (design I bought was on clearance) at half the list price and bought one. Honestly I like some of the other versions with different graphics a bit better but I'm not stupid enough to pass up such a good deal over a bit of painted on design.

WOW its a huge step up from the helmets I have. Fits great without any pressure points from my eyeglasses because it has cut outs for glasses frames. Really comfortable. Do get a bit of "Darth Vader" feel when you breathe. Lots of air venting, all of which is adjustable so there is airflow through the helmet, as much or little as you desire. Haven't tried it out yet, but I'm seriously impressed.

Picked up the "timeline" graphic version, which is helmet with the green banding in the original post. Better looking in person. In fact its actually RED banding on the right side fo the helmet and GREEN banding on the left side.

On the other hand when I bought it home and showed the lovely Mrs_Bob she did not like it the 'full face' style. Good thing I did not buy her one too.

She wants to go shopping for a 3/4 with flip down visor. As long as it meets both DOT & SNELL ratings then I'm OK with whatever she picks. So back to the local shops again, this time with me holding her purse while she shops :unsure:

JamesKnt

ILM modular is comfortable in my head and has a great flip-up mechanism. I flip up my helmet to have some fresh air or drink. I do not see why do you all like HJC? I have an HJC once but I discarded it due to lack of ventilation and the inner liner rips apart.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
ILM modular is comfortable in my head and has a great flip-up mechanism. I flip up my helmet to have some fresh air or drink. I do not see why do you all like HJC? I have an HJC once but I discarded it due to lack of ventilation and the inner liner rips apart.
My wife has 2 of the HJC helmets. One is 3/4 the other is full face. I'm not a big fan of the brand, the materials are clearly not as nice as Arai, Scheuberth or Shoei. I'll pay more foe comfort and quality. But overall they are a quality helmet, many models have SNELL certification. Some of their higher end models, like the HRPA 90 modular, get great reviews for comfort.

If your HJC liner ripped apart can you post a photo?

Never heard of ILM but I looked them up. I'll pass, just based on low prices and lack of SNELL certification. Low price typically equals lower grade materials, I can accept that if I get a safe & comfortable helmet. But not being SNELL certified is the kiss of death for me.

Their riding gear and gloves are not CE certified either, just an indicator of generally low quality and misleading advertising as they indicate they use CE armor, implying (incorrectly) that their gear is CE certified. Very misleading. The gloves have a lot of single stitched seams, clearly not going to pass Euro safety standards for motorcycle gear with single stitched seams.

If you like your helmet that is fine, but I'm not convinced that ILM is selling particularly safe products.

Last edited: