• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

track replacement 94 lmc 1500

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Bonneville power is going to auction a 1994 LMC 1500 Snowcat (Spokane) with 375 hrs this week. only It has rubber tracks . my use is on some places with marginal snow what would a replacement to steel be?

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
Jim if it had full rubber tracks you would be amazed at how well they work in some cases on the ice they are better than steel grousers the one draw back is they are heavy and suck a lot of horsepower.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Don,I was thinking of sending that custom snowcat link to Al but it got pulled. do you think he picked it up?

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
All rubber tracks didn't work out well on the Ram Ranger our snowmobile club has. The poor thing cann't paw it's way out of a road ditch with the groomer. The rubber lugs cann't get ahold of hard pack snow. Take the goomer off and it will go, but even then it will not go where the old SKi Dozer will. Steel grousers are IMHO a totally different track, and a better one IMHO. Steep grades and icy conditions would make me want to leave the Ram Ranger we have at home. Maybe why the low hours on this machine??

On marginal snow, and some bare ground, melting conditions ect. they probably would be fine there...

http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/showthread.php?t=39675&highlight=Ram+Ranger

Regards, Kirk

Last edited:

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
they worked well on the bv 206 and will out climb most every thing else if the hard pack is hard enough the tracks won't dig in I can see a problem. my snow trac grousers work great in all conditions except climbing steep and deep hill sides if there is some hard pack it will go right up and it seems to maintain decent road manners around town on the icy roads. this is not the case with this bombi that I have out back this year it is out right scary cant pull much of a load across the ice on the road it is down right scary in high gear.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
All rubber tracks didn't work out well on the Ram Ranger our snowmobile club has. The poor thing cann't paw it's way out of a road ditch with the groomer. The rubber lugs cann't get ahold of hard pack snow. Take the goomer off and it will go, but even then it will not go where the old SKi Dozer will. Steel grousers are IMHO a totally different track, and a better one IMHO. Steep grades and icy conditions would make me want to leave the Ram Ranger we have at home. Maybe why the low hours on this machine??

On marginal snow, and some bare ground, melting conditions ect. they probably would be fine there...

http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/showthread.php?t=39675&highlight=Ram+Ranger

Regards, Kirk
Kirk one problem with the ram ranger may be the hydro drive system if it is hydro drive you just may not have enough control over how you apply torque to the drive system I have seen this with marooko's in the mud get an old d-6 in the mud with a Johnson bar clutch and I can move the same loads that stuck the marooko that is 3 times the size. just food for thought juice drive has it's place but there is no absolute perfect snow cat. the snow trac is as close as it gets, some times I would like to scale it up a bit.