• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Tuthill Fill-Rite pump -- bad leak

Temerate

Hello everyone. I have a Fill-Rite pump that leaks really bad. It's coming out of the hole above the bypass valve. I've taken the valve out a few times and nothing looks wrong with it. This thing can easily leak 1/2 gallon within just a few minutes; it's that bad.

Could this be a problem with a seal inside the motor? And has nothing to do with the bypass at all? The leakage started as soon as I flipped the lever on the very first time. So nothing should be worn out with it. It should still be under warranty, as I believe it's covered for 2 years.

Any help appreciated, as I'm getting tired of mopping up all the spilled fuel. Thanks!

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Welcome to the Forum! :tiphat:

Glad you found us!

Tuthill is good equipment and good folks to deal with.

Check with member tuthillcorp. He should be able to help.

Jim

Temerate

Thanks for the welcome!

I'll track him down and pester him if all else fails. LOL!

With the exception of the leak, this pump is pretty great. I've even been wondering if there's a way to slow it down a bit, because it really puts out some major flow. :smile:

TuthillCorp

Hello Temerate,

I am sorry to hear about the leak in your new pump.

You are correct in your assumption that the leak has nothing to do with the bypass valve.

The small hole above above the bypass cap is called the weep hole. If liquid is coming out of that hole, the shaft seal behind the rotor in the pump is leaking fuel back into the motor.

This is not a situation that we normally have had an issue with, but it does happen from time to time.

As this is a new pump, and if it is red, the warranty is a 2 year warranty.

Simply take the pump back to the distributor you purchased the pump from and get a replacement.

The distributor can contact the factory on Monday morning and request an RGA (returned goods authorization) from Customer Service, and we will take care of the warranty through them.

Again, I do apologize for the inconvenience of this situation.

Thanks for asking for the help. Let me know if you have any issues.

Temerate

Hi TuthillCorp.

Thanks for response. :) I bought this pump from a 3rd party seller on Amazon. I don't believe he sells these all the time the way most distributors do. I contacted him the same day I received it, and he didn't have a replacement. I decided just to keep it since it does work; it's just really messy.

I've looked on Tuthill's website and all I can find is info for places in other countries. Are there any service centers in the USA (California) that I can take this to? I'd rather not mail it in case any residual diesel gets the box all soggy.

Temerate

Hello everyone. Just a quick update to finish this thread off. TuthillCorp sent me a seal kit for my pump and I just finished installing it. It now works perfectly and doesn't have so much as a drop of fuel coming out. One of the ceramic seals inside was the culprit.

TuthillCorp was very nice and easy to work with. I'll definitely recommend this brand if anyone should ask. Yes, it did have problems, but most things do these days. And post-purchase customer support really is where companies get separated from good/bad (IMO anyways).

Thanks again everyone!

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've had one of their fill rite 12V pumps for a long time, since 1990 or so. It is on a portable 500 gallon fuel/lub. trailer. It has to have had at least 50,000 gallons of fuel through it by now, maybe more...

Some day it wil fail, and when that day comes, I will replace it with another!

Regards, Kirk

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Their customer service is outstanding, hard to fault Tuthill's Fill Rite pumps.