Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN

Go Back   Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN > Vehicles > ATV's / RTV's / UTV's / Side-by-Side's Forum

ATV's / RTV's / UTV's / Side-by-Side's Forum Talk about your off road vehicles / Side by Sides, ATV's, RTV's etc. here

Old 07-18-2020, 12:41 PM
Bronze Member

Thanked 3,912 Times in 1,306 Posts
m1west is on a distinguished road
Default Re: CF moto

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernRedneck View Post
So yesterday morning my neighbor calls me and asks if I want to go for a quad ride down the hydro line between our properties. We made it a little ways before encountering a low laying swampy area. There was already a trail pushed through but after the rain we got the day before, it was wet.

He went ahead to check it out but made it about 150 feet in before burying his quad in muskeg. I drove mine in 100 feet to get close enough to winch. I was able to stay on top of the packed bull rushes and turned around to get back out after winching him out. He got by me and made it back out then I tried.

I made it almost all the way out of the hole before breaking through on one side about 10 feet from the higher ground. Yep. Buried it in muskeg about halfway up the door and over the tires.

We tried winching with his machine but broke the winch cable on his machine. So we both got on his machine to grab a manual come a long and chain from my place.

Picture this. 50 feet of my winch cable extended (couldn't get anymore out as the cable was bound up and my battery was low), 30 feet of pull strap, the manual come a long, and a 50 ft length of chain to reach the nearest tree strong enough to support the force of the winch.

With a combination of him ratcheting the come along and me winching with my machine at the same time applying a bit of throttle, the machine was able to inch forward to gain traction and climb out.

Fun day.

get the tracks
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to m1west For This Useful Post:
Jim_S  (07-18-2020), NorthernRedneck (07-19-2020)
Old 07-19-2020, 09:14 PM
Platinum Member

Thanked 12,681 Times in 4,808 Posts
NorthernRedneck will become famous soon enough
Style: T66

Maybe. Can't justify the cost. I mainly stick to old logging trails from the 40s for bird hunting and using it around the property for chores. Nothing too aggressive. I prefer to stay away from the mud. Also considered more aggressive tires and a 2 inch lift.
The Following User Says Thank You to NorthernRedneck For This Useful Post:
m1west (07-19-2020)
Old 07-19-2020, 09:32 PM
Bronze Member

Thanked 3,912 Times in 1,306 Posts
m1west is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernRedneck View Post
Maybe. Can't justify the cost. I mainly stick to old logging trails from the 40s for bird hunting and using it around the property for chores. Nothing too aggressive. I prefer to stay away from the mud. Also considered more aggressive tires and a 2 inch lift.
the tracks are nice for going anywhere, but you are correct in they are pricey, they also hurt the speed and fuel economy. maybe you can find a used set at a reasonable cost. I can definitely go places with mine that I would have to dream about going without them. But maybe thats just me I get bored easily.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to m1west For This Useful Post:
Doc  (09-23-2020), NorthernRedneck (07-21-2020)
Old 09-22-2020, 10:15 PM
Platinum Member

2000 kms on it now and still going strong. Actually not a hint of a problem with it. And I use it. Not just typical trail riding. But down some grown in side roads where you can't see 2 feet in front of you. Through muskeg swamps. Down washboard dirt roads. It's handled it all. My one and only complaint is that the exhaust is loud and rattles occasionally. But overall machine performance is in line with brands like Polaris kawasaki Honda Arctic cat etc. It's very well built and tough. One mod I want to make is a solid aluminum skid plate. (Which I'm looking into).
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NorthernRedneck For This Useful Post:
Doc  (09-23-2020), Jim_S  (09-23-2020), m1west (09-23-2020)
Old 09-23-2020, 08:45 AM
Forum Admin

Thanked 27,524 Times in 9,225 Posts
Doc will become famous soon enoughDoc will become famous soon enough

Sounds good. How is CF moto with dust? My honda pioneer 1000 runs great and goes places that my RTV could not go (either because of it's weight or the tires I had on it or maybe both of those played into it). The honda goes faster between trails and does not need to stop to shift from H to M to L for steep hills, but the major downfall is dust. If it is dry the dirt trails will coat all passengers with lots of dust.

Other Fun Forums:

Net Tractor and RTV Talk + Net Cooking Talk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:
Jim_S  (09-28-2020), m1west (09-23-2020)
Old 09-23-2020, 09:12 AM
Large Member

Thanked 1,216 Times in 523 Posts
Big Dog has a spectacular aura aboutBig Dog has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Sounds good. How is CF moto with dust? My honda pioneer 1000 runs great and goes places that my RTV could not go (either because of it's weight or the tires I had on it or maybe both of those played into it). The honda goes faster between trails and does not need to stop to shift from H to M to L for steep hills, but the major downfall is dust. If it is dry the dirt trails will coat all passengers with lots of dust.
Do you have a windshield Doc?

"No law ever prevented a crime" ...........

The MLR (Men's Locker Room) is now open! PM Big Dog for access ....

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Big Dog For This Useful Post:
Jim_S  (09-28-2020), m1west (09-23-2020)
Old 09-23-2020, 10:39 AM
Forum Admin

Thanked 27,524 Times in 9,225 Posts
Doc will become famous soon enoughDoc will become famous soon enough

Sure do. I have the 4 seat model ...I've read a big part of the issue is the bed is not solid due to seats folding into it. the wheels throw dust up through those cracks. It's never stopped us from riding, we just plan to eat some dust if it's dry. Or after a rain we hop in and go go go. LOL

Other Fun Forums:

Net Tractor and RTV Talk + Net Cooking Talk
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:
Big Dog  (09-25-2020), Jim_S  (09-28-2020), m1west (09-23-2020)
Old 09-23-2020, 05:19 PM
Platinum Member

Dust isn't too bad with mine. My biggest complaint is that the exhaust is LOUD. When we were in s Dakota last summer, we rented a 4 seater kawasaki teryx 800 to go riding. Comparing it to mine, the only thing I liked more was it has a softer seat and is a touch quieter. I've gone into some tight spots with mine that most other utvs wouldn't think of going because they wouldn't fit. Just yesterday we took a narrow twisty hilly atv trail in to a lake. Up a narrow rocky path for 100 feet. Down a twisty narrow rocky slope which led into a muskeg bog. We didn't try the bog but with barely any room to maneuver, I did a 20 point turn inching it around. I also like the shorter wheelbase as going over banks and humps, it's less likely to high center.

Last edited by NorthernRedneck; 09-23-2020 at 06:07 PM.
Doc  (09-23-2020), Jim_S  (09-28-2020), m1west (09-23-2020)
Old 09-25-2020, 09:14 AM
Large Member

Thanked 1,216 Times in 523 Posts
Big Dog has a spectacular aura aboutBig Dog has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Sure do. I have the 4 seat model ...I've read a big part of the issue is the bed is not solid due to seats folding into it. the wheels throw dust up through those cracks. It's never stopped us from riding, we just plan to eat some dust if it's dry. Or after a rain we hop in and go go go. LOL
My BF just bought a Ranger and he bitches about the dust all the time. I canít say Iíve ever had the issue on my Mule. Itís a diesel at 30mph max and even running back roads (dirt and gravel) Iíve not had dust issues.

"No law ever prevented a crime" ...........

The MLR (Men's Locker Room) is now open! PM Big Dog for access ....

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Big Dog For This Useful Post:
Doc  (09-25-2020), Jim_S  (09-28-2020)
Old 09-28-2020, 03:04 PM
Platinum Member

The way I see it is that in any utv, unless you have the full cab enclosure, you'll get dust.

One complaint I have with the moto is the engine heat on warmer days. After a few hours of riding the other day, I started to almost feel blistering on my butt cheek as the engine sits right between the seats down lower. And all that protects you is a plastic shroud.

So today I set out to find some soundproofing heat resistant foam pads to stick to the inside of the shroud. After driving around to every place that may have it, I decided to just resort to Amazon. I'm looking forward to seeing if it makes a difference.

I also find the exhaust is LOUD so after doing some research, I picked up some steel wool to pack the muffler.
Doc  (09-28-2020), Jim_S  (09-28-2020), m1west (09-28-2020)
Old 10-24-2020, 07:32 PM
Platinum Member

A few weeks ago I was complaining about the heat coming from the engine compartment. Today, I was rather thankful for it.

I talk to myself to get an expert opinion.