• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Should voluntary euthanasia/assisted suicide be legal - cda

cdajen

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
Assisted Suicide, also called Voluntary Euthanasia, is currently a contentious issue in many countries. The question in the debate is this: if a terminally ill person decides that they wish to end their life, is it acceptable for others to assist them? This would normally take the form of a doctor administering a lethal injection, which would end their life painlessly. A clear distinction must be made with involuntary euthanasia, by which someone is ‘put down’ against their wishes, and which is simply murder by another name

Your thoughts?

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
My thoughts as one who deeply distrusts the government is no since I believe it would soon be abused and would become involuntary euthanasia.

cdajen

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
This has nothing to do with the government except to decide whether or not it should prosecute physicians or family members who help their loved ones end their lives with dignity in accordance with common sense laws and procedures. This would grant the government nothing. It would prohibit the government from being able to get between a husband and wife or someone and their doctor, etc.
People already have the ability to grant someone medical power of attorney, or designate someone to fullfill their end of life wishes if they are unable, including the ability to end life support.
Legalizing assisted suicide, would give the same basic right to someone who isn't already on life support.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
We assist the terminally ill in a gentle way through hospice care, to see the end of their lives in the most comfortable way possible.

At first, many family members sometimes cannot understand and question the difference between Euthanasia and end of life care.

Often times I have watched some linger and hoped and prayed that the drugs used to manage the horrible pain coupled with cutting off nurtriment and fluids would have the same quick end that the swift assisted end to life does.

My job is to sustain life and to make the quality of that life the best until the end.

I do believe if someone wishes to end it on the spot, they do have that right.
My faith dictates that it's wrong - but I've been through a couple of instances with family members that has taken me away from what I believe or want and what they'd want.

If someone has expressed prior to their death that they'd never want to linger.. don't let them... choose a gentle ending and allow God to assist when the time has come.

Against their wishes and without their knowledge coming to a quick end via an injection?
Nope. Don't agree with that totally, but I can understand it.

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
This has nothing to do with the government
In this nation everything has something to do with the government. With Obamacare the government will have their nose in our medical decisions more so than it does now.
If want a hypothetical answer even with out government I would say NO to assisted suicide. Humans like to play God. In my opinion suicide is murder. You asked my opinion you got it. You of course are entitled to your opinion.
Oh on a personal note my mother was given less than a week to live and was put on hospice care. She didn't die but got better and lived almost 6 more years.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
When quality of life is gone it should be allowed. It actually has gone on for years and just was not sensationalized by the media.

cdajen

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
Hospice workers are saints. They do So much good. I've dealt with more end of life care than I would have liked but there is no way I could do it as a career. Some of the most wise people I've ever known, have spent a lot of time caring for the dying via hospice. They don't get enough credit.

I worked for a while at a skilled nursing facility, to make some xtra money. I had occasion to sit with 3 people when they passed. Two of those people were very old and had lived long happy-ish lives. One of them knew where she was and that she was dying, the other knew he was dying but not where he was in time or location. The third person was only in her early 60's. She'd been a super intelligent business woman at one point, but she started drinking after the death of her husband and she never stopped. In only a couple of years she'd withered away to nothing and was dying of liver failure. There was little they could do. I spent time with her in the last 4 months of her life, when she was forced by disability to be sober. She was so funny, sarcastic and irreverent. I learned a lot from her and it was hard to keep in mind she was dying. She had a stroke which ultimately was the beginning of the end for her. Her family said that she expressed joy at my companionship and they honored me by inviting me to sit with her on her last night. I know in my heart of hearts that she would have been SO pissed off to be laying there, with no muscle tone in half her face, paralyzed and surrounded by sad people.

I hope no one attempts to deny me my wishes for the end of my life, if I'm already so unlucky as to not expire surprisingly in my sleep. I would never tell someone else they didn't have the right die by their own decision.

cdajen

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
Sorry for the rambling and reminiscing, you all irritated me and I'm looking at a 4 day weekend so vaporized the equivalent of a fat joint... now I'm wordy. And I have the munchies :)

cdajen

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
You're right muleman. It should remain a quiet private matter. No one should have to worry that they will be arrested and jailed for helping their spouse or other loved one, end their lives painlessly and with dignity.

catavenger, I'm not saying that people should forego treatment in favor of passive death. I'm glad your mom beat her prognosis. That's wonderful.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I think Zimmerman in Florida might be able to use an Assisited Suidice Defence.

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
Sorry for the rambling and reminiscing, you all irritated me and I'm looking at a 4 day weekend so vaporized the equivalent of a fat joint... now I'm wordy. And I have the munchies :)
What goes around, comes around. Maybe if you didn't need the doobie....:whistling:

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Anyone who is familiar with hospice care knows it is done every day. The method of choice is call Morphine. It is not discussed openly, but it is done.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Anyone who is familiar with hospice care knows it is done every day. The method of choice is call Morphine. It is not discussed openly, but it is done.

Yep, the way my Mom stepped out and it was a brutal thing to watch!

SShepherd

if you have to self medicate because of an internet forum causes you that much stress, somethings wrong.
just sayin

mak2

If it is intentionally done by a caregiver (or anyone else for that matter) it is murder in the state of Indiana. AFAIK, I have never seen anyone administer IV MSO4 to anyone whose resperations are less than 10. If I ever seen someone do that, then the pt dies, I would report it to the proper authorities. Having said that, I think it should be legal for a provider to assist a pt with dying as peacefully as possible at some point. I just would not do it due to my religious beliefs.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
If it is intentionally done by a caregiver (or anyone else for that matter) it is murder in the state of Indiana. AFAIK, I have never seen anyone administer IV MSO4 to anyone whose resperations are less than 10. If I ever seen someone do that, then the pt dies, I would report it to the proper authorities. Having said that, I think it should be legal for a provider to assist a pt with dying as peacefully as possible at some point. I just would not do it due to my religious beliefs.

My mother had hospice (not 24 hour, one visit a day) prior to her last stint in the hospital. When she came home to die, hospice (again not 24 hour care) instructed us how to administer the oral liquid painkiller (I don't know what it was but it was described/defined as morphine). We were to call if we need anything or when she passes. WTF you need when the patient is comatose and being pumped with painkillers! We watched her pass, I still dream (nightmare really) of it.

One hospice nurse showed up (bless her) when we called. My wife and Mom's best friend helped her clean my mother up prior to the mortician taking her away. I appreciate the hospice worker but I'm not a fan of the hospice system!

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
It is as tough call for me. The medical profession interferes with nature in end of life issues as a matter of course. Putting a person on life support is extending life, is pulling those tubes assisted suicide? It could be argued either way.

If a person no longer wants to prolong their life, I would say let them have their way. Then comes the question of assistance. Is there a line? If feeding poison, be it in food or through a tube, is assisted suicide, what about leaving a glass of poison on the nightstand?

I don't have an answer. Generally speaking, I would suggest the government should stay out of personal matters.

SShepherd

I think it might open a can of worms-- involving the govt. in its "legality"

What about someone who's in prison for life, no hope for perole ? would that be ok ?

What about people who become paralyzed and want out ?

What about people with serious depression ?

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I think it might open a can of worms-- involving the govt. in its "legality"

What about someone who's in prison for life, no hope for perole ? would that be ok ?

What about people who become paralyzed and want out ?

What about people with serious depression ?
I think you are right. A lot of questions to ask and where to draw the line.

mak2

The ban against assisted suicide (read intentionally ending life) is deeply ingrained in Juedo-Christian culture and medical science. I really dont think the push for more reasonalbe end of life care practices are really a plan by the governemtn to put us down before we cost too much money. Now that we are (often) too good at keeping people alive in some cases, we as a society probably should take another look at end of life issues. But I think I am too old to change my attitudes about it.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
There is no doubt I would support assisted euthanasia after watching what my Mom went through her last 24 hours. I don't wanna go out like that, she exhibited pain that she was unable to convey!

loboloco

Assisted suicide should be legal. However, there should also be sufficient safeguards in place to insure it is the rational decision of the infirm and not the family, caregivers, insurance, or government.

SShepherd

Assisted suicide should be legal. However, there should also be sufficient safeguards in place to insure it is the rational decision of the infirm and not the family, caregivers, insurance, or government.
ohh, now there' a sticky wicket..

so, a persons on life support costing thousands and they're in "advanced years". With Govt. healthcare, do they continue to pay, or do they euthanize (quit paying) because the person will no longer be a productive taxpayer? (actually they'll be more productive dead through estate tax)

loboloco

so, a persons on life support costing thousands and they're in "advanced years". With Govt. healthcare, do they continue to pay, or do they euthanize (quit paying) because the person will no longer be a productive taxpayer? (actually they'll be more productive dead through estate tax)
My opinion, they should pay for it by cutting the salaries of every congressman, senator, all of their aides, the pres and VP down to a nickel a year.

Kane

Be assured, Shep. ObamaCare has this all under control with the death ... oops, review panels. No money will be mis-spent without favor of the collective.

2012-08-22-chronicle.jpg

cdajen

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
Removing someone from life support is NOT voluntary euthanasia or assisted suicide. As was made clear in my opening post, the question is only referring to helping someone as their specific request.