• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Which side of vehicle is the fuel fill?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
OK, this may seem obvious to some, but I never knew it until last week. I don't "read" the dash, I just scan the readings.

Ever drive a rental or another person's vehicle and pull into a gas station to find you're on the wrong side and the gas fill is on the far side of the vehicle from the pump?

I didn't know it but supposedly, all cars now have this. There's a little arrow on the fuel gauge that says where the fuel neck is. Look for a little arrow next to the pic of the gas pump. BTW, I checked my '05 GMC and it doesn't have an arrow so it must be something newer then '05.

In this pic, you can see the arrow points to the right side stating it's on the passenger side.

Subaru-Impreza-Dashboard.jpg

full

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
Yep, my wife pointed that out to me awhile back. I'm generally found wandering around the car looking...

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
I wasn't aware of it but will check on my current car which is on the passenger side.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
My truck and Sonata is on left side, my roadster the right. I invariably pull up to the wrong side with the roadster. Arrows? What arrows? I didn't even see any Indians!! :yum:

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Someone told me about that a while ago and I checked my vehicles and none of them had it but they're all older than 5 years.

I used to think that it depended on where the vehicle was made. On British cars it was always on the right, driver's side and on American cars it was on the left, driver's side. So, therefore logically it was always on the drivers side of the vehicle depending on what side of the road that you drove on. Enter my wife's Kia. The Koreans drive on the right, steering wheel on the left but the filler is on the right passenger's side. Ah well, that's another theory of mine shot to hell. Shit!!! :yum:

The short answer is that I don't have a clue why some fillers are on one side and others are on the other side. Probably some damned engineer. :yum:

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
When I still had the Stratus, I think it was on the left.
The Mercury I'm driving now.. it's on the right.
Never noticed the little doo-hickey on the dash before.. will have to check later.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Doesn't seem to help me at all. i drive vehicles thathave fills on either side. Sems I am always pulling up wrong. Even in my Crossfire daily driver.

Worse,it seems every time i need the pump on the left no bays are open for that. Or if i need iton the right, no bays are open for that.

And then there is the station with 20 pumps but only two are for Diesel. Why is a Prius always parked there with the owner inside the store purusing the candy bar section for 20 minutes?

Apologies. I don't mean to take the thread off course, just felt like a rant this morning. BCZoom lit the fuse.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
BCZoom lit the fuse.
Captain Obvious here. Keep that fuse away from the fuel fill. :hammer::whistling:

As for which side they're on, I was with you on American it's on left, European it's on the right but now it's an international market so it's all out of whack. The wife's Mercedes had it on the right. Mine was on the left?!?!?

Was looking at new Subaru's which are on the right. When I griped about it, that's when I learned about the little arrow on the dash to remind me.