• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

ST17A pivot pin frozen

jask

I have been doing some work on the drive of ST193 and need to remove the ST17A assembly, the pin that it pivots on and that secures it to the frame ( ST3002 ) is rusted in solid!! I have removed the center bolt that secures it.. used a drift and hammer, a drift and sledge, used a blue wrench to heat up the outside and tried as best as I can to soak it with oil. My concern now is that (1) my pounding on the shaft ends might end up peening them wider and causing more problems and (2) that the pivot arms of the ST17A are going to be damaged.
does anybody have experience or ideas to share? otherwise I am going to saw the ST3002 and carrier tube on either side inboard of the ST17A pivot arms to get that out of the way while I really beat the heck out of what will be left of the pivot pin.

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
Can you give a pix (of part or manual)? I can't find that part number in my book.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
I think he is talking about the pin between the spring and eye bolts they can get really froze in and there is no room to work on them

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
this was gone over last month on another snow trac.
it is just a soft bolt the best way is to cut it 3002 with a saw.
jim

jask

ST17A is the aluminum casting that carries the axle and bronze drive gear.. the pin I am talking about is at the bottom of it and passes through a tube at the very front of the frame allowing the front tension adjustment of the track.
Jim thanks, I did end up cutting it.

The part is on pg 20 ( fig 8 ) of the 1963 full manual and is the part in the lower right corner of the page, it is a smooth length of mild steel shaft that is about 3/4" and is cross drilled in the center to accept a retained bolt that passes through it and the housing it fits inside.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
when replacing the pin I was just told this morning to get a threaded hex cap type bolt and remove most of the treads. then when you need to remove it can be turned.
my st4 came from the prince Rupert airport,it was used to run up to the radar tower when new.
jim