• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Snow Trac stuck in 1st gear

akimp

Hello All, I took the plunge and bought a snow trac in Fairbanks (have not picked it up yet) was a very good price. I figured why buy just one and found another in Anchorage that is in very good condition supposedly but also a good price. The later machine is stuck in first and that's why its at a discounted price. i read the vw beetle transmission will shift past the shifting fork and jam the mechanism not allowing it to go in another gear. There is also a shifting "hockey puck" that gets stuck. Will any beetle tranny fit on these machines? Any help would be appreciated. Im very exited to get the Snow trac's going for the winter for cabin access and freight hauling. :clap:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I believe that any of the Beetle manual transmissions from the appropriate age range will simply swap into place.

akimp

Yes flip a gear because the orientation is opposite that makes sense. There is a few beetles for sale cheap ($500) with working motor/transmission for sale. i might just have that one rebuilt if i have to break into a transmission to swap gears anyways. I'm very exited to become a snow trac owner.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
give me a call 907 304-1383 I can give you a lot of info I can't type but yes it is a bug trans with a bus shifter tower. the ring gear is flipped

akimp

I work on the Slope and have training until 9:00pm tonight. i will call tomorrow and pick your brain. Thank you very much.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
akimp,

Don't change out the transmission just yet. My bet is the problem is in the shift tower, not the trans.. Mine doesn't like a ham handed operator. If you aren't paying attention, and twist the shifter as you shift it will hang up in 1st as well. It takes a little fiddling to get it out of gear..

Regards, Kirk