• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Tucker steel track removal/install method

tom

GOLD Site Supporter
I need some suggestions on the best way to remove/install steel track from the pontoons of my 63 443. Seems to me the best way is to get all pontoons off the ground and use the gears. The manual state "opposite set off the ground". Not quite sure. Seems like that would still leave one set engaged. Also considering dropping drive line to one set and elevating opposite of the one I will be removing.

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hey Tom,
Most 400 series Sno-Cats have open differentials ( non- locking) which allows one side to rotate forward when the opposite side rotates backward and the drive shaft is not rotating at all. So if you jack up one axle of your machine and place jack stands under it, you can easily move the track relative to the pontoon. It is best when reinstalling that you do not have the track/pontoon above the floor so that the rollers don't try to go under the lower roller flange at the bottom of the pontoon.

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I jack one side of my 442. Loosen up track. Use a bar clamp or strap to remove pressure from the link. Remove cotter pins and links. I usually take it off the top on front or back of pontoon. Bottom will flop down and the top will hang. Make sure you have enough runway and just pull the track out from underneath. Rolls and slides real easy.