• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

What cat(s) for backcountry access (skiing)?

Hello,

My organization is looking to get into the world of backcountry skiing. We're a non profit that works to get people out into the backcountry and enjoying nature (usually) through sport. From mountain biking to kayaking, rock/ice climbing to camping we are here to get people out into the world and enjoying it!

We are looking to add a new adventure to our line up, backcountry skiing and snowboarding. We've got some guys that have operated heavy machinery before (I've personally run excavators).

So we're looking for a bit of help deciding on our cats. We'll inevitably end up at some dealers but we're just doing preliminary research on cat models right now. We're looking to run two or three cats for different purposes.

Here on the east coast we'll (hopefully) be running the cats on snowmobile trails to access some of the places we want to get. This might be an issue with some of the larger PistenBullys or Prinoths. Ideally we'd like a cat about the size of a PistenBully 100 but with the power of a 400.

Keeping the rig at 10 foot wide or less would be ideal because of the nature of snowmobile trails in our area but if that's not possible it's not possible and we'll just have to trailer it the long way around instead of taking the trails for shortcuts (most the powder stashes are off public roads that get closed in the winter and therefore are wide enough for even a 600).

What do you guys think are the best cats out there for this type of access? We would like to have one (maybe two) cabin haulers and a utility cat.

I believe PB cabins are able to be moved from one machine to the next (perhaps not easily) but maybe that would allow us to have two 400s and a 100 for utility use and if we find somewhere we want to go for the day that the 400s are too wide for we can swap the cabin onto the 100?

Any input would be appreciated, thanks.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
there is a heck of a nice lmc 1800 diesel for sale right now on another thread, set up for just what you want to be used for. some of the new stuff with juce drive is real nice to operate but don't forget repairs on electro hydraulic systems can be expensive. I would shy away from the bv 206 platform remember if uncle sam has a hard time paying the price to keep his fleet running you will to.

there is a heck of a nice lmc 1800 diesel for sale right now on another thread, set up for just what you want to be used for. some of the new stuff with juce drive is real nice to operate but don't forget repairs on electro hydraulic systems can be expensive. I would shy away from the bv 206 platform remember if uncle sam has a hard time paying the price to keep his fleet running you will to.

Thanks for the reply,

We're looking prospectively right now so buying that LMC wasn't an option unfortunately, seemed like it was a nice rig that went for a good price.

We are looking at getting a few newer cats for various reasons, one of them is their ease of use but there's a lot more to it.

We've been talking it over and we're looking at getting a PB 600 Polar SCR as the main cat for transporting people with a passenger cabin and a smaller PB 100 also with a passenger cabin for navigating through tighter terrain.

If we can swing it we'd like to get two PB 100s and use on as a utility cat but I'm not sure that will happen.

For you guys running PBs, how do you like them? There's a dealer fairly close to me that I may go check out soon.

For you guys running PBs, how do you like them?

They are the top of the line in Alpine Cats as far as I am concerned. I would question the need for a 600 unless you were doing serious steep and deep grooming(tilling) in addition to passenger service. The 400 is more than adequate IMO. But hey some guys have to have the biggest and badassed, I understand.

Where are you located, you stated "East Coast" so I believe Mohawk Limited is your dealer.

http://www.mohawkltd.com/all_terrain_vehicles/snow_grooming_vehicles/

Keep in mind biggest and baddest is not always the best way to go. I've operated 600's - great machine for pushing large snowmaking piles around, etc. - however, I prefer the 400 for it's lighter weight and ability to fit into tighter areas. There's a cat skiing operation outside of Crested Butte Colorado that uses both Tucker and Prinoth machines at Lake Irwin - try looking them up I'm sure they'll share some ideas.

http://winter.irwincolorado.com/

Also keep in mind if your sharing the road with snowmobiles width can become an issue. Tucker has options that are around nine feet wide on newer machines.

Good luck with the search!

Mark

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
Garry with Alaska moose federation has a new prinnoth alpine machine he really likes the 2 speed drive.I will stand by Alaska snow cat pb products seem to have a good following and now days they seem to like to use us built engines.

They are the top of the line in Alpine Cats as far as I am concerned. I would question the need for a 600 unless you were doing serious steep and deep grooming(tilling) in addition to passenger service. The 400 is more than adequate IMO. But hey some guys have to have the biggest and badassed, I understand.

That's the thing, we won't be grooming at all since we're just looking to get around out there. We may however come into some steep terrain and it may be good to have the extra power the 600 provides to help the 100s along if they get overwhelmed. The 400s I'm sure can handle their own but it may be useful to have a powerhouse to get things unstuck with if need be.

Where are you located, you stated "East Coast" so I believe Mohawk Limited is your dealer.

http://www.mohawkltd.com/all_terrain_vehicles/snow_grooming_vehicles/

Keep in mind biggest and baddest is not always the best way to go. I've operated 600's - great machine for pushing large snowmaking piles around, etc. - however, I prefer the 400 for it's lighter weight and ability to fit into tighter areas. There's a cat skiing operation outside of Crested Butte Colorado that uses both Tucker and Prinoth machines at Lake Irwin - try looking them up I'm sure they'll share some ideas.

http://winter.irwincolorado.com/

Also keep in mind if your sharing the road with snowmobiles width can become an issue. Tucker has options that are around nine feet wide on newer machines.

Good luck with the search!

Mark

Thanks, we're spread out all over the northeast but I personally live in Maine. There's a Kassbohrer ATV dealer in Lewiston, Maine too. They don't sell any other brands as far as I can tell but they do have an impressive shop from the looks of it.

I'd like to take a look at some Prinoth cats but they're just not that popular around here from what I can tell. There's only one mountain that I've seen a Prinoth running at and none of the local snowmobile clubs run them. Most of the snowmobile clubs run Tucker or PB Trailsbullies on their trails. I'm going to try and get a ride along in the tucker and trailbully when I've got the time.

As for the 400 vs. 600...they're both the same width with and without tracks installed and the 600 is only slightly longer than the 400 (by about 130mm). Without sitting in or operating either one I'm personally more of a fan of the 400 cab than the 600. The 600 has a much different console and it almost looks like a space ship to me, rather complicated. I'm a fan of simple and it could be rather advantageous to have a simpler design in an emergency situation if somebody else had to take over the controls. This is part of the reason for the want to have additional 100s, a smaller a easier to run cat...but I think we should look into Tuckers for this use.

I'm a fan of the 1643RE Wide cab model, comes in at just under 10 feet wide and holds 8 passengers. I could see us running a 400/600 and a 1643RE,W. Seems like a good mix of utility/power with the PB and ease of use/size with the Tucker.

Garry with Alaska moose federation has a new prinnoth alpine machine he really likes the 2 speed drive.I will stand by Alaska snow cat pb products seem to have a good following and now days they seem to like to use us built engines.

I'll have to look at the Prinoths again, they just seem to be more dedicated mountain cats rather than something you would venture into the wilderness with. I've seen some bombs out in the wild but no actual Prinoths.