• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

UN FICKIN BELIEVABLE !!!!

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I thought he had an anti theft switch or two in the system that had to be turned on just right for it to fire, and he can't find them and does not remember where they are or which has to be turned which way.
I wonder if sitting in the seat going through the motions if it would come back to you Al. You might not think you remember but sitting there it might all come back to you.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Went out again this morning,trying to remember the starting system.

Nothing ,zip,nada,zilch .....

I have no recollection and looking at the wiring system I cannot remember doing half the electical stuff I am looking at :unsure::unsure:.

I had to go do errands for the rest of the day . Looks like it will be next week before I can look at it again .

I know it had something to do with spark or timing , but I cannot remember how I set it up, to save me . Putting a on/off switch inline to the coil would have been just too simple to overide . I know I did not do that .

That knock to my head earlier this week , may have been a bit harder than I thought . Today I had to ask the wife , the name of a man I have known for years ????? I looked at him and drew a blank on remembering .She is thinking I should go have my noodle checked

Its not fuel , even though I do have a safety switch setup on the main panel that turns the fuel pump off. It would still try to fire if given a shot of eather if that was the culpit .

So I am going to give it a few days and see what happens . :neutral:

nikos

Hey Guys
The best wishes for the New Year 2014

Big All try to find the thief, that has stolen your thoughts. There is always somewhere, a secret place in the KT7, or in your garage, house, with the notes of the secret numbers.
Big All if you running the Kristi, it will be THE FACT OF THE fACTS on the billboard of F.F in the 2014. I will be glad to see the Kristi running again on the snow. We like to see video also, for the historical moments.:smile:

regards Nikos

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
OK>>>> Now i am pissed ....again .:w00t2::doh::glare:...

Tried to override the electronics of the cat and again got zilch ....so.....I am calling in the big guns .

My neighbor is 78 years old and use to own a mechanics shop . He is the smartest mechanics guy I know when it comes to the older 1970's motors in tractor , trucks or cars . The man is amazing .

I am just about ready to pull the damn motor and hydros and start all over , I am so pissed . I know myself when I get pissed and I know if I can't get it up and running soon , its getting torn apart till I find the problem .IF it comes to that, some big changes are coming .

Hell if nothing else I will put the same set up I have in my JD hay swather . It runs like a raped ape . Want to know who I bought it from and who rebuilt it ??? Thats right ....the old neighbor.
I hope ole Bob can figure it out cause I am completely lost on this .

Half the problem is the KT7 is in the upper garage and all my tools and lift are in the lower main shop . I am gettin tired of going back and forth getting tools and crap .

I gotta go do some Yoga to calm down or all hell is about to break loose around here ....

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
bad part of this is we'll never find out about your security system.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Ok . I got power to the coil so that is good . After talking with my old Mechanic buddy ,I am trying to figure out why I did not switch over to Electronic Ignition when I built this thing . Looks like a much better way to go .Once this starting issue is solved the new electronic ignition will be ordered and installed .

Anyway he will be here on Friday to see where the problem is . He thinks there may be other issues . He was telling me that the extreme cold can really screw up ignition parts . I am going to run a test on the coil tommorow to insure it is OK .

If it runs after that correctly , it is being move to the main shop to start checking the hydros .
Come hell or high water this thing is getting repaired . Now its a matter of pride .

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Ok . I got power to the coil so that is good . After talking with my old Mechanic buddy ,I am trying to figure out why I did not switch over to Electronic Ignition when I built this thing . Looks like a much better way to go .Once this starting issue is solved the new electronic ignition will be ordered and installed .

Anyway he will be here on Friday to see where the problem is . He thinks there may be other issues . He was telling me that the extreme cold can really screw up ignition parts . I am going to run a ohms test on the coil tommorow to insure it is OK .

If it runs correctly after Bob shows up , it is being move to the main shop to start checking the hydros .
Come hell or high water this thing is getting repaired . Now its a matter of pride .

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hey Al, I am hanging out not sure if this is a inside joke based off of pre 2006 banter or you really have a problem.
couple questions:

Did it drive to where it is?

Does it turn over with the starter motor?

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Hey Al, I am hanging out not sure if this is a inside joke based off of pre 2006 banter or you really have a problem.
couple questions:

Did it drive to where it is?

Does it turn over with the starter motor?

Yep , It was running perfect when I parked it . And yes it will turn over when the starter is engaged . IT will not fire

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
When you are bored humor me and give the following a try.

Pull the coil wire out of the distributor cap.

Put it 1/4 inch away from some metal on the engine.

take off the distributor cap. You may pull the rotor or not it does not matter.

make sure there is power to the coil on the + side. it is marked. the wire to the points on the coil is the - side ( the tach wire is also on the neg)

If the points are closed, open them. use something plastic or wood. watch the coil wire for spark. open them repeatedly

if the points are open short them together ( I just touch a screw driver across them)..... watch for spark.

You will not get a poke.

I just mind fu*ked a 601 thiokol on the side of the trail for quite a while, only to finally realize the points had corroded. I filed them repeatedly and they were just plain junk.

If the points are corroded it will be revealed with this test without wearing out he starter or battery.

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Yep , It was running perfect when I parked it . And yes it will turn over when the starter is engaged . IT will not fire

Have you run a wire direct from the battery to the coil yet ? Do you have a spark tester ? Did you file the points ?

Mike posted at the same time as I a lot of the same here

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I am trying to eliminate the points before I suggest his poly timing gear failed.

My saab buddy told me the motor was suseptable to that poly gear failing on dry start up after sitting a while. shhhh..... Don't tell Al, he might become depressed.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Have you run a wire direct from the battery to the coil yet ? Do you have a spark tester ? Did you file the points ?
Yep I have . No change .
Tomorrow I will test the coil with my meter .
I am pretty sure I have a spark or timing problem now . Time will tell as now I am pissed off until I find the problem .

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
I feel strongly points are the problem doesn't take but a minute to check that the rotor goes around I have seen engines shear the roll on the drive gear because of thick oil when it's cold.

Helmsman38

Member Formerly Known As Kristi KT7
GOLD Site Supporter
I thought I was being really clever when I restored my Kristy KT7 . I put all the bells and whistles in her ,,,,,,,,including a custom designed theft proof system in case anyone tried to steal her . Only I know the how to override the system . 2 days ago I went head first down a flight of stairs and woke up to my wife shaking me .Really rocked my noodle .
You know where this is going .......... I cannot remember how to override the alarm system now !!!! Even my wife does not know the sequence to start it .
I have fuel , spark and timing but that SOB will not even burp!!!
The wiring looks like something out of a Nasa space ship . I hope I can sleep on it and remember .

The not so funny part is I can remember thinking when we installed it that "No way anyone can start this without knowing the right combination"
CRAP CRAP CRAP !!!:sad:

When you figure it out write it down
:yum:

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
OK .....its runs .:mellow:
This thing kicked my ass today . . The nieghbor is one sharp cookie . He figured out what I did after about 30 minutes and shortly after that it fired right up .He told me to order a new Ignition conversion kit for it and I would be much happier with the performace . That will get here tomorrow I am going to move it down to the main shop on Sunday and change the oils .
He also thinks he knows what the hydrostatic problem is too , but that ,I will not tackle until we have it in the big shop where it will be easy to work on .
I have all next week to work on it .:doh::unsure::sad::neutral:

Helmsman38

Member Formerly Known As Kristi KT7
GOLD Site Supporter
That's great that's great up The photos you posted on the site have been bringing a lot of attention With such an unusual Snowcat I keep Having People ask me if you're coming I have to admit I've never eat I never seen anything quite like your cat I'm looking forward to seeing it to

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
So is it a secret you going to tell us what it was?:shifty:

Nope , not telling .

He had to think pretty hard to figure it out .
When it dawned on him as to what I had done , He smiled at me and said ,,,,, "Oh....... you were a clever boy "

I sure as hell did not feel so clever last week when it would not start .

I think I'll just let it stay secret .

And yes it is now written down .

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
Al, so now you know that your machine is thief proof as long as a real mechanic doesn't try to steal it. LOL

The presure relief valve on your Hydraulic pump can be turned up a bit to give you more performance, as long as the engine's horsepower is still able to supply the RPM's to the pump.