• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Trails in Southern Wyoming area

I actually called the group that does the snow cat and snowmobile tours through Yellowstone last year. They told me that no privately owned snow cats were allowed in Yellowstone now. You had to ride in their snow buses. Was not cheap either. It was difficult to get someone that had a clue about how it all worked so this may not be entirely accurate

Consider the source?

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
this sounds entirely accurate as they have the same policy in Denali park. once a year they have a lottery to allow a convoy af private vehicles a trip through kodachrome pass all other vehicles in the area are by contractor only. That said you may be able to get the park service to give you a permit to allow a one time, or once a year access to the park as an organized group. as an ex federal employee it wont be easy and common since will be thrown out the window.

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sounds like Wyoming and snow machine stickers. Week days if possible, and it is for me anyway. If we run in a group, I still think it is better and safer for snowmobilers. Warning strobes and SMV signs on the back of each machine goes along ways around here... So what is a small group? 6 machines or less?

Regards, Kirk
I don't think we need to limit at all as long as it is not organized.... LOL There are no limits on group size. Now you just need to decide When where what time. But not organize anything.....LOL

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sounds about right. I have a quite a bit of time invested in getting federal permission to use National forest service roads for a performance rally events. We dispatched rally cars a minute apart into the forest with timing clocks and volunteer workers manning a cross roads and intersections. if we were to have had a manned start line in the (forest) it-was-not-allowed as that was organized motorsport event. a disorganized trail ride it is.

I am a upper midwest guy willing to travel.... for snow and scenery. I am partial to the three weeks of xmas and newyears. early-mid Feb is bad for me. I am all ears.

Mike

Cletis

Wife says I'm easy so anytime would work for me, although Christmas week might be kinda tough.

Cletis

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I like the topography, a mix of steep and the not so, and flatlands between. Looks like lots of good places to run, 1500 miles of trails. Looking good from here...

Regards, Kirk

MAD

South end of snowy range 22 miles to Walden co and miles of trails some lodging on the mountain depending on numbers. 60 miles to the springs at Saratoga

Cletis

Bottom of page of map is Big Horns if that is destination you all decide on.

Looking at all this stuff about Wyoming. I feel damn fortunate to live here. All things considered hard to find a better state to live in IMO if you like the outdoors.
I found a continental divide snow mobile trail map that looks like a really cool (and long) trip. We'd have to get dds to come down and drag our fuel for us.

Trip for later.

Attachments

• big horn snow mobile trails map.pdf
    5.5 MB · Views: 55
I actually called the group that does the snow cat and snowmobile tours through Yellowstone last year. They told me that no privately owned snow cats were allowed in Yellowstone now. You had to ride in their snow buses. Was not cheap either. It was difficult to get someone that had a clue about how it all worked so this may not be entirely accurate

From a e-mail I just received from the NPS:

Thank you for the inquiry. Winter use regulations prohibit private snowcoaches from entering the park. Only those companies that have a commercial use contract are allowed to operate within the park.

Cletis

I'd like to see those regs also. Funny that I'm as mad now seeing that email as I was when they told me that a year ago.

It's not right that they can do that. As much as I would like to go through the park in winter, I don't see myself doing it.

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
I Will reccomend that you not run on snowmobile trails. It is an accident waiting to happen. Yes even with lights signs ect. Short straight distances are not bad but in twisty trees they will not see you. Then you will find out if your insurance is good or not. It is not a good situation. Let me check the statutes but I believe Wy does require proof of insurance.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Private snow coaches for a fee I would understand.

to say I could not take my handicapped family member into the park in a Snow trac in a disorganized manner for a cup of hot chocolate and a few pictures seems not appropriate.

Mike

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I Will reccomend that you not run on snowmobile trails. It is an accident waiting to happen. Yes even with lights signs ect. Short straight distances are not bad but in twisty trees they will not see you. Then you will find out if your insurance is good or not. It is not a good situation. Let me check the statutes but I believe Wy does require proof of insurance.

I have been to a place west of Laramie a few times, a lodge called Albany. I remember twisty trail sections through the pines that would be dangerous in snow cats for sure. But also some high ground with few or no trees as well, where visibilty would not be an issue. I have to in the end agree with staying off the sled trails. To far from home for me to want any issues.

So is the a trip killer? Are there other trails that can be used??

Regards, Kirk

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
Not a trip killer at all not even close for me. don't get me wrong I will cross a trail drive down the trail when its wide open. I just will not go on trails twisty turny trees and risk an accident. no there are hundreds of miles of forest service roads and in the winter time you don't need a road that's the best part you can go explore in meadows. We just keep posting snow machine trails it is not a good idea. Let alone they are horribly rough.

n

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
maybe I should get a fleet of cats a few 601's a few more snot tracs maybe some skidozers and 1 krusty for Big Al and just rent them out to you guys who want a place to go ride.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Not a trip killer at all not even close for me. don't get me wrong I will cross a trail drive down the trail when its wide open. I just will not go on trails twisty turny trees and risk an accident. no there are hundreds of miles of forest service roads and in the winter time you don't need a road that's the best part you can go explore in meadows. We just keep posting snow machine trails it is not a good idea. Let alone they are horribly rough.

n

Now that is what I was hoping to hear. You diescribe exactly how and when to cross or use a snowmobile trail. And yea, those trails can get very rough..... Do you know of the Albany lodge, and is it near where we are talking? I didn't drive so I am schechy about how it is located...

Regards, Kirk

Short bus

n

When I was a kid riding sleds I always thought it was my responsability if I hit somthing. like a skier or a dog or a sno-cat or a tree( god they should sue the forest survice if they hit a tree). I slowed down a little in blind spots now I am learning it would not have been my fault if I crashed into some one else going 12MPH.

I am cautious but will not give up my right to drive on public land.
There was a big deal here a few years ago about a skier that was killed by a snow border, it was very sad but the lawyers made it sound like snow sking is supposed to be safe Its not safe it is high risk.
Snowmobiels are not risk free and if you cant look at the risks and accept them you should stay home, not blame some one else when you go to fast and get hurt.
I guess I should have sued some one every time I got hurt doing something stupid.

Short bus

sorry about the rant I don't want to go on trails I want to go to remote places and get as far away from the crowd as I can. its just hard to get there without crossing
roads and trails and areas used my others.
for sure I dont want to peal any one off a tree or my Snow-cat.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Short bus,

Your my kinda of guy....Unfortunately we are not in the majority anymore. Damn..

Regards, Kirk

Cletis

Just throwing out as many suggestions as I possibly could. That's why I posted all the map trails. As I said earlier, last year, during the week days I was totally alone. I didn't even hear a sled, but that may not be the norm. mbsieg has much more knowledge than myself about the mt during winter. Let me know where you decide and what I can do to help.

Cletis

Cletis

How would this look on the front (or back)of my snow cat?

Cletis

Attachments

• Cattle catcher.jpg
    Cattle catcher.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 82

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
up here the trails are shared by all snow cat's matttrack equipped riggs dog sleds and snowmachines. we seem to have problems with fast moving sleds every year hitting a dog team. the problem as I see it is high speed combined with poor visibility during the dark season mushers don't like high viz and reflective attire. forgot to mention booze is almost always involved. i think it's a good call staying off the trails but public land is for everybody.

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
sorry about the rant I don't want to go on trails I want to go to remote places and get as far away from the crowd as I can. its just hard to get there without crossing
roads and trails and areas used my others.
for sure I dont want to peal any one off a tree or my Snow-cat.
This I can help you with...... Evil laugh. I know a lot of deep dark holes with a lot of snow that may even get a Kristy stuck!