• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Snow Trac & Tucker Sno-Cat Movies on DVD

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well I've been making some progress and now have 1 "master disk" made up that contains about 2 hours of film.

There is quite a bit of Tucker Sno-Cat footage that came from the home movies of Emmet Tucker. These films include some early testing of the 222 Kitten in swampy conditions and in snow. Some very interesting footage of a front cab, 2 pontoon Tucker Snow Cat, some films of larger 300 and 400 series Tucker 4 pontoon models. Some factory(?) footage of some of the Arctic/Antarctic Tuckers. And some home movies mixed into that.

Also copied onto the disk is the BBC Salvage Squad episode where they restore Bob Bateman's wreck of a Snow Trac ST4 and drive it up a Scottish mountain. That Snow Trac is the one I purchased and imported and now own.

I had hoped to copy some additional home movies of Snow Trac gatherings onto the disk but I was running out of space, and quite frankly the footage was marginal. Some of it was quite entertaining, but the quality was marginal so rather than sift through it and try to edit in some of it, I figured it would become the subject of some future disk!

With any luck I will be able to get this disk duplicated a couple dozen times and then make it available to Forum members. I do not have duplicating equipment to make DVD to DVD copies. I am going to beg a friend to do it for me, but I am at the mercy of his schedule.

ALLEN PARSONS

I have seen some of the old film put on dvd of the 222 and 300 series tuckers, and it is {GREAT}, I would love to see more.

Vance

On the subject of Tucker movies...

I was talking with an old friend up on Donner Summit (CA) who has been there for ages. He mentioned that he had movies of "old man Tucker" testing his snowcats on Donner Summit. I prodded him more and some of them are actually of him testing his screw drive snowcat. He said it didn't work too good and in soft snow it would literally dig its way down into the snow without moving.

I have encouraged him to get the movies (8mm) transfered over to DVD for archives.

I love this old stuff...

Vance

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Of the movies that I have transferred there is a lot of footage in very deep snow. The 222 Kitten did not fair too well in the super deep stuff and would dig in a bit but then seemed to pull itself up. There was also some interesting footage of a 3 pontoon Tucker. It had 2 front pontoons, and a very narrow open body, under the open body was a single pontoon. It looked pretty interesting but I doubt it ever made it into production.

mtncrawler

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Movies of the screw-drive prototype on Donner Pass? A three pontoon machine? Just let me know when I can get my hands on a copy of this.

mlang2005

I can't wait for the movie, These 100 degree days have got to go. year before last we got three feet of snow the first week of october. We had hickers and campers and even a group of rock climbers stranded all over our national parks/forrests. We had a long snow season last year also. I'am going to start doing a snow dance. Who will be the first FF member in the lower 48 to get snow?

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I would be very interested in getting a copy of your dvd when it is ready, can I buy one from you, Bob?

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
UPDATE:
SNOW TRAC's on Television + TUCKER Sno-Cat movies
  1. SALVAGE SQUAD, ENGLAND's BBC/DISCOVERY CHANNEL, BBC Channel 4, 2003(?) did TV restoration of a 1972 Snow Trac ST4. This episode is available to ForumsForums members on DVD.
    • Total length of this video containing Tucker & Snow Trac footage is almost 2 hours and contains the entire Salvage Squad video plus about an hour of Tucker Sno-Cat factory/home movies. To obtain a DVD of the Salvage Squad, along with about an hour of Tucker Sno-Cat Factory & Home movies click on the link: Tucker Sno-Cat & Salvage Squad DVD

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
GREAT video thanks for all your time and hard work Bob. Made my wife understand what a snow cat is for, now she sees why I bought one!!! Thanks again Mike

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Just wanted to let everyone know that I am still making up disks and shipping them out if anyone wants them. This thread sort of died about a week ago but I've been getting a lot of questions asking if they are still available . . . yes they are!

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
i am vary intorested, are you stil shiping out dvds?

No, I'm not. But I do get requests for these on a pretty regular basis. Maybe one of these day's I'll make up a new batch of them. I have to copy them one at a time so its very time consuming for me to do it. I think the last time I did it I made up 30 or 40 of them and sold out immediately.

I'll try to get some made up this season.