• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Welcome Snow Trac Owners

ROGI

Hi Jim VT,
My first go around with this forum, cannot find the for sale snow trek...

I WILL keep trying though!!

Archive holder

Thnaks to you all for outstanding information an d stories about your machines.
I have the international register of the snow-tracs that were built in Morgongåva, Sweden in 1957-1983, however the last years there are not any bokks left from.
This reply origins to the ones of Lyndon for lots of years ago, but hopefully someone still can answer.
I know how many was exported to Canada and USA 1957-1978 but it is not the same as the numbers given in 2006.
However, I would be delited to know more about the big Companys mackines and how many theu had and the mentioned iicture of Whitehorse I also would like to see.
If anyone wants to Contact me send me an e-mail to kenthhansson@hotmail.se then and I will reply. Happy new year to you all as far from from Sweden.

georgeofdesert

GOLD Site Supporter
Hello all. Long time lurker signing in.
I've had this about 10 yrs.
IMG_7009.jpg
IMG_7014.jpg
IMG_7006.jpg
IMG_6789.jpg

Sorry about the lousy nameplate photo, best I can focus. WCFE a public tv station in NY?
I have no idea how much it weighs but it does ok on the flat terrain I deal with. But it is slow and loud. The original idea was hinge pins between adjacent track guides. They were rusted away or broke, so were cut out, then added the inner 3 belts

So now I own st182 that was listed here in the classifieds. Seems solid so far but the primary owner wanted brakes. That lead to many hours of reading and rereading the information you members have provided. So thank everybody except Puckle, who set the bar too high.
IMG_6999.jpg

Used tan "Big Stretch" to fill in missing rubber.
Was able to find brake parts easily online. For future adjustment it seems like running the shoes up snug then backing off 4 "clicks" will work. ?
Had the idea to reverse all 4 front sprockets...the track drive to get a wear baseline on the plastic sprockets and new wear surfaces for new drive chain.
Could not break the nut loose on the chain sprocket side without more torque than I cared to apply. Luckily someone had lubed the pins (ST3002) well and after drilling and tapping for a 5/16 bolt pulled out easily.
Had to whittle some aluminum out of the way for the axle to clear. The unpainted aluminum shows the extent.

IMG_7008.jpg

Was happy to see that the bearing housings (ST17A) are made of steel. So I have 2 aluminum spares.
IMG_6998.jpg
Should the track guides be equally shiny? Seems like all the work is being done on the inner parts in both sides. Alignment mostly rear wheel?

Minor cracking on rear wheel, townies won't fix it-liability, so I stick welded with aluminum rod, didn't like the rough finish on the mating surface. Read something here about freeze /thaw causing problems so I bedded the mounting flange with a thin layer of JB weld, if it works I'll be happy otherwise I'll be out there with a torch and chisel.
Almost ready for snow.

Attachments

• IMG_6990.jpg
    IMG_6990.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 245

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
i have st185 and maybe i can answer some questions .you can spin the drums while adjusting the shoes. 4 clicks should be ok. your hand bracke lever will tell you. i think it's a 65 vw for shoes and springs. the snow trac parts have ST in front of them. vw is numbered. i used a liquid rubber for the inner sprocket. it just keeps the ice out form the center.
the close up of the crack .i can't tell what it is. and is the rear wheel rim cracked?
you look to be doing ok. jim

georgeofdesert

GOLD Site Supporter
Sorry, the close up was meant to show the metal removed to get the st17 assembly out through the engine compartment. I thought some purists may object but it saved my plan to reverse the sprockets without aggressive disassembly.

The wheel cracks were from hole to hole, some lug holes and main bore. There are several older cracks that have been welded up nicely. My repairs in the mounting area were not flat enough to trust the lug torque to hold, hence the bondo.

Had read elsewhere that it was necessary to remove the tracks to adjust the brakes-I don't ever want to reinstall the tracks again, so I tried to come up with a shortcut.
Funny, funny. #185. If they were built at about 4 per week these two were built within hours of each other. Can you tell your original color?

Appreciate you guys sharing with nubies.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
So i just received a text.

"1059 is all yours!"

It will be a bit before it gets here but it is enroute and i believe its my first 4 digit st4.

I now have a two digit , three and 4 digit serial number!

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hi kenneth. You should have my other st4 machines.

1059 is a small wheel, two band.

Attachments

• 72952.jpeg
    72952.jpeg
    251.4 KB · Views: 5

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sorry.

This is mike merbach i USA.

i am responsible for the care and feeding of 5 running and one broken for parts st4'

All live on the us main land north of chicago on the west side of lake michigan.

I will prepare a sheet and email.

Thank you for your work tracking our sno-tracs!

Archive holder

I now have your numbers 58017, 166, 268 and 1059 but it looks like one i missing. Thanks for your support of our history with them. I hope you have got all swedish historical facts from me for them.