• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

sw48 carb problems

Bait Guy

I had my carb on my sw48 rebuilt this spring and finally got around to use the damn thing now and found out all the top screws were stripped out from the so called "professional outfit". Well, what to do? Can this be fixed or is it time for a new carb. The one that is on it now is a AFB

J5 Bombardier

Take it back to the builder ,maybe he'll helicoil the bad holes. If your running a flat head dodge in your sw48 the other option is a single barrel Rochester off a 250 chev, lots of them around and cheap rebuild kits.
J5 Bombardier:hammer:

Bait Guy

thanks, I'll try to helicoil myself, its been 9 months since I had it rebuilt and I doubt they would honor it now.

Bait Guy

Finally got the thing helicoiled, now what should be a good setting for the carb? This is still the ball and ball that came with the chrysler. Seems there is only one (1) screw to adjust.

rcc

Turn the jet all the way in, then back out 1 1/2 turns. Good place to start, you can make minor adjustments once you get the engine idling at 700 rpm. All 3 of my machines run good at this setting.

Bait Guy

Thats where I got it now, it seems to run good but I would say a bit rich, perhaps the timing is off a little also. Where are the timing marks on this pig?

rcc

Loosen the bolt at the bottom of the distributor just enough to allow the movement cw and ccw about 10 degrees. If you clean the tab that the bolt goes through there are markings the middle is 0 degrees and if set up correctly that would be top dead center. Move the distributor each direction and you will notice the engine running smoother or rougher be careful not to make the engine knock. Just find the sweet spot and tighten the bolt (no need to over tighten), no need to us a timing light, some engines do not have a scale on the timing chain cover just use the little bit of adjustment at the distributor.

rcc

Here is a pic of the distributor, see the adjuster and bolt at the base.

Attachments

• 2014-05-18 14.17.55.jpg
    2014-05-18 14.17.55.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 213