• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Out Cattin' Around

Better play before snow goes away....

There's still ice on the lake off in the background; good sign, but it won't last much longer.

Tank Farm is still standing - 30 kgal. Snow peeled some paint this year - the green tank was new last October. There's a stainless tank hiding behind the wood one.

Looking off the other side of the ridgeline.

The last pic, don't know what happened, other than the sled musta got hot. Sure made a mess.

DiNCA

Attachments

• Blue Sky 1556.jpg
    Blue Sky 1556.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 551
  • Tank Farm 1557.jpg
    Tank Farm 1557.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 551
  • Ridgeline 1558.jpg
    Ridgeline 1558.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 552
  • Hot Sled 1554.jpg
    Hot Sled 1554.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 554
Story was, they had it pretty much under control until the gas tank lit off. Then I guess at some point the groomer came along and helped.

DiNCA

Attachments

• Mess 1552.jpg
    Mess 1552.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 546

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Dang. If that tank was just installed will the manufacturer repaint it? That sounds like a poor prep job for it to fail so quick.

Yeah, never leave the parking brake on. I saw a red rotor on an older AC - brake cylinder was sticky, guy started going slower, then stopped when it got a little stinky/smoky. When it cooled, it was pretty much welded together (although it came apart later). Another couple hundred feet and it'd have been BBQ time.

Poor sled. Burned to the water line. A blazing inferno and then the gas tank went, although I bet it started getting real interesting about the time the fuel line melted.

That
Wood
Suck

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks for the pictures...

Whats the name/brand of your cat... looks like the smaller size ones...

Just got back from hunting snow - it's going away fast in Plumas County.

Nikson - it's a 1988 Prinoth T2. Seats 8 (or 2 people and 3 ridiculously huge dogs). 6 Cyl VM Diesel, turbo, 140 hp. Hydrostatic transmission, 8-way blade, tiller. It's a capable little cat, not a ton of cargo space though. Track pressure = 0.74 psi. Top speed is supposed to be ~17 mph. No speedometer, can't tell. Nice seats, though. And you can't beat the visibility.

Miss Kate got some stick time yesterday, and some big grins. Then we went out cattin' around a little for a few more pics, maybe the last of the year unless the March Miracle arrives...

Haven't figured out how to get the captions closer to the pic, so bear with me...

At the Dam, looking east over the water, it is obvious that the Snowcat is not only a Chick Magnet, but a Dog Magnet. The 2nd pic is looking west, down the canyon on the outlet side of the lake. Actually, looking more up at the lava display, which is cool.

3rd shot is just a little waterfall that I caught through the trees. It's probably 35 feet high. Then we went up on Mooreville Ridge for some scenery. The lake in the background (horizontal snow band is the exposed lake shore) is the same one as the shots from the Dam and waterfall. Nice view of the Sierras, just a real pretty day all around, except for the fading snow.

DiNCA

Attachments

• At the Dam 1565.jpg
    At the Dam 1565.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 423
  • South Fork Side1566.jpg
    South Fork Side1566.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 419
  • Little Fall 1568.jpg
    Little Fall 1568.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 432
  • Mooreville 1570.jpg
    Mooreville 1570.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 419
  • Mooreville 2 1574.jpg
    Mooreville 2 1574.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 422
Muley - We have plans for some creative tagging on that tank, so the paint isn't an issue. It's a repurposed dairy tank - stainless, 2 wall, insulated. I think we're getting another one to replace the wood tank, and it'll be from the same guy. Maybe we'll get a warranty repaint, but once we get the nosecone tip and rocket tail fins installed, I don't think anybody will notice a little missing paint.:yum:

DiNCA

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Pics, pics and more! That sounds like hoot. Hope it is visible for a long way so folks can get their panties in a wad over it. I have a hint for some wording. "End the insanity in Sacramento":yum::yum:

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
If you could/can - please post some more pictures of the cat itself (inside/outside) - better detail of everything and how its figured.

I've been thinking of building one with hydrodrive - just not savvy enough to know they hydrolic part of the configuration, like the size of motors/pumps/engines that are needed to run the setup.

My schedule says it'll be 3 weeks until I get back up the hill for a photo op, but I'll take a few pics and try to give an idea of what's going on.

It sounds like your Toyota Diesel powerplant would be a good starting point. From there, I think it's a matter of resourcefulness and resources. The Hydraulic pump is a variable double pump Hydromatik A5VG40DG1DG1. That pushes through 2 Hydromatik A6V55HD hydraulic motors, which turn the Lohmann GFR 053E 2515 wheel hub motors, which house the hydraulically released spring-operated multi-disc brakes. Pilot-pressure proportional-directional control valves are similar to David Brown http://www.davidbrownhydraulics.com/detail.aspx?ranproid=87 The A6V55HD motors have a Bosch-Rexroth counterpart in the A6VM55HD, check out http://www.boschrexroth-us.com/coun...iston_units/a_downloads/ra91604-a_2009-07.pdf You can probably track the other stuff down - I think Hydromatik is now Bosch/Rexroth, so the twin pump may still be around. I'd bet they probably make something real similar to the Lohmann wheel hub motors, too.

Once you get the motive power figured out, you've already played with drive sprockets, wheels, tracks and suspension. Build a frame, add a seat, and you're good to go. :brows: Motive power, and a whole lot of hydraulic hoses. Like spaghetti.

Seriously, if you need them, I can scan a couple of schematics to pdf, although they don't help a whole lot. They're really made for what to anticipate when you look under the hood. Maybe around the time I shoot some pics, I'll do the scans unless you need them sooner. But like I said, they don't help a lot until you can actually put an eyeball on things.

DiNCA

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
My schedule says it'll be 3 weeks until I get back up the hill for a photo op, but I'll take a few pics and try to give an idea of what's going on.

It sounds like your Toyota Diesel powerplant would be a good starting point. From there, I think it's a matter of resourcefulness and resources. The Hydraulic pump is a variable double pump Hydromatik A5VG40DG1DG1. That pushes through 2 Hydromatik A6V55HD hydraulic motors, which turn the Lohmann GFR 053E 2515 wheel hub motors, which house the hydraulically released spring-operated multi-disc brakes. Pilot-pressure proportional-directional control valves are similar to David Brown http://www.davidbrownhydraulics.com/detail.aspx?ranproid=87 The A6V55HD motors have a Bosch-Rexroth counterpart in the A6VM55HD, check out http://www.boschrexroth-us.com/coun...iston_units/a_downloads/ra91604-a_2009-07.pdf You can probably track the other stuff down - I think Hydromatik is now Bosch/Rexroth, so the twin pump may still be around. I'd bet they probably make something real similar to the Lohmann wheel hub motors, too.

Once you get the motive power figured out, you've already played with drive sprockets, wheels, tracks and suspension. Build a frame, add a seat, and you're good to go. :brows: Motive power, and a whole lot of hydraulic hoses. Like spaghetti.

Seriously, if you need them, I can scan a couple of schematics to pdf, although they don't help a whole lot. They're really made for what to anticipate when you look under the hood. Maybe around the time I shoot some pics, I'll do the scans unless you need them sooner. But like I said, they don't help a lot until you can actually put an eyeball on things.

DiNCA

This is all just "brain storming" - gathering information to make the right decision on the next build.

I do like the brakesteer setup - totally satisfactory on my behalf.

Hydro seems to me like a lot more stuff to work on and maintain, more prone to problems while on the run, although nothing is bullet proof.

Whatever info you can provide - great... Just email me the pics/files over, that will be fine. - nikorlov@gmail.com - goes directly to me.

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Nikson:

If you have French or Italian vocabulary, the owner's/maintenance manual for the T2 is at http://www.tecmun.cat/prinoth/Servicios/BA_T2-01123-23026-IF.pdf I went lurking for the German/English version without success. There are a few (read "a lot of") diagrams, and most of the spec stuff you can get the gist of. The file size of the manual is 50+ mb - too big w/o ftp. I'll send you a smaller file on the hydraulics via email.

DiNCA

Will figure it out one of these days... :)

nikos

Not this year - need a trailer and a rig to pull

Me too, i don't have a trailer and a rig to pull the ST4. :yum::yum: Otherwise,....
I would like SO much too take part, in this SNOW CAT party 2014 but i dont have also the space transportation system, YET:yum::yum:
But i am lucky too, i have the Facebook.

JimVT The best wishes for this unusual event. A concentration of Snow cat jamboree in Leavenworth W.A, that is so interesting for many reasons, that it needs to supported, from everyone.

Regards Nikos