• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Need picture of a part please.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
I am in need of a picture of the original airfilter housing / oil bath. This is also known as the air cleaner. I have found a few but they dont seem to look like the ones I have seen a picture of (far off not a close up) Anyway if you could take a close up that would be great. Thanks.:beer:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Mike, I don't have that type of air cleaner and I check 2 different versions of the parts manuals and both of them show an air cleaner that is like mine. A non-oil bath filter version.

Is it possible that your engine was retrofitted with an old style oil bath air filter? Or is it possible that I have no clue what the heck I am talking about? My experience with oil bath air cleaners is with antique Oliver tractors and the little filter on the VW engine is nothing like any of the old air filters I've seen on old tractors.

I guess in any event, I would opt for a paper or screen element air filter over an old oil bath type any day. If mine had an oil bath system, I would convert it to a low profile standard air filter. (It needs to be low profile to fit under the hood). There are literally hundreds of sources for VW engine components, you should have no problems finding one that will easily fit.

Below is a copy of part of the parts manual, it shows the type of filter that I have, and that I have seen. Part number FL7118/1 is the air filter.

Attachments

• 1engine-drawing.jpg
    1engine-drawing.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 308
Last edited:

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
I'll have to look and see if it is still in my other barn, but I had an old oil bath air filter unit I took off of a mid 60's 1500cc VW. I would have to assume that it would be the same. I can take a pic of it if I still have it. I haven't seen it in several years, but I should still have it.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
I was told the original was an oil bath type. So I am wrong on this then? I want what was stock. I have a paper filter set up now but would prefer the stock type housing. Did the stock housing have a paper filter then?

Thanks Dargo. I seems from Bob that I may have been wrong on the oil bath type. Maybe Bob can get a picture. Doesnt sound like a typical stock VW filter housing.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I think it is very possible that both Dargo and I are correct. . . but it might depend on the year it was made.

Mine was produced in '72, I have a manual from 1975 and another than is unmarked. But as they used VW engines, they would have used whatever aircleaner was on the engine at the time of production. So I'd just make a wild guess and suggest that if your Snow Master is mid-1960's or earlier, then it might use the oil bath filter that Dargo has in his garage. On the other hand, if it was produced sometime from at least 1970 on, then it is likely that it would have come with a paper element style filter.

Dargo . . . if you could, please take a photo of the air filter, I think it might help us out. :weneedpic

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Is it possible the oil bath air cleaner was an option for non-snow environments to keep the dust out of the carb?

Jim