• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Tucker Pontoon Rail Steel Stock

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Getting closer to embarking on building some new rails for the 442.

Having trouble locating the plow steel which I believe they also call carbon steel?

From what I can find Plow steel is M1044 a Medium Carbon Steel.

Not having great success tracking down a supplier. Waiting for a few calls back....

So far I learned don't call it plow steel when trying to locate it unless you are speaking with Mr. John Deere!

Is there a different grade or terminology I need to look for?

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
Brian,It would have to be a pretty low grade of AR steel to be able to bend very much! I have used a bunch of AR 400 on my shear, and facing dozer blades ,that stuff doesn't like bending at all. I would look at something like T1 steel fairly flexable, easy welding with low hydrogen rod, and is twice as strong as regular mild steel. The cutting edges on the old valley engineering blades were T1 steel as well as the Rotobec elite log loaders, half as heavy and just as strong. JMO. Don

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
don't kno which one they used but we have some rolled tanks made of ar up here and the dozer moldboards is also ar as you say very brittle for a rec use rig I would think standard mild steel would work real fine as would t-1 it might also serve a commercial rig. if you have to drill holes have a lot of fun doing it with any thing other than mild steel I normally use a torch or plasma cutter on cutting edges

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Found the stock up in Goffstown, NH. M1044 Plow/Carbon Steel. Little pricey but correct.

Moving forward. Thanks

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
you may be better off just having it hardened after making it.
jim

wakeupcall

GOLD Site Supporter
Track Addict, Just starting to work on my pontoons and was curious if you bought the 1044 plow steel for your rails and any fabrication tips on new rails. Thanks Wakeupcall

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have not. Found it and if i remember correctly it was about 12$ per foot. Not crazy but the odd lengths needed one piece will leave lots of waste. 12' sticks is all I could find within reasonable travel distance.

I have the bender. Summer is fast fading. Be back at it next month. Will be testing with mild steel and maybe running that for a test. But I don't out many miles on out here either so big ?

If I can bend the cheap steel easily and consistent with my testing I would spend the money to have it correct.

wakeupcall

GOLD Site Supporter
Track Addict, Thanks for the info the price on the steel is close to what i found also , pretty pricey steel!! Will keep trying to figure out some way to build the rails if and when it happens i'll let you know . Possibly consider T-1 plate? A.R. plate might be hard to bend for adjusters.