• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

What kind of grease to use?

IMP

Site Supporter
What kind of grease should I use in Bombardier J5 wheel bearing and walking beam hubs? I operate mine in the Alaskan swamps moose hunting and to haul firewood all winter in the cold. I don't run it when it's colder than 15 -20 below F. though. So I need grease that has good water resistive properties and still lubricates in cold weather.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have used water resistant boat trailer bearing grease. I
Don't think the cold weather is an issue. So far it has worked well, no failures on my Snow Tracy w heels. I have run it at -20 with out issues as well

Regards, Kirk

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
synthetic doesn't get hard with age. I like amsoil
for high speed wheel bearings I use the classification NLGI#2
on my lightweight snow trac I use NLGI#1 waterproof boat
The classification NLGI#2 is heavy- duty and good on trucks and machinery
I never had a J5 but I think I would go with the waterproof like kirk says and heaver #2 for the harder use areas. I haven't found any waterproof of the #2 yet.
jim

IMP

Site Supporter
Perfect! I was actually headed in that direction but this confirmed it. Thanks everyone!!

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yeah, so I am digging up a not so old thread by searching a topic. I need to up my grease application program. greasing my over the snow equipment has become a dreaded task. I need things in my life to be fun.

My direct question is 8000# enough push to get grease every where it needs to go?

Why:
Milwaukee makes two electric grease guns. 12 V and 18 V. the 12 V creates 8000# of push. the 18 V 10,000#.
I welded my current grease gun into an art form.

I am going with Milwaukee because they are a great company that supports my apprenticeship efforts here in the upper midwest, they make great product, and I already have 12 V tooling. (bore scope and ratchet.)

In full disclosure I have already ordered a 12 V electric grease gun, I however am wondering where the hell would wone need to generate 10K of grease push?

area x pressure gets me track tension on a snow machine 2.250 tension piston.

I have some messed up Zerks on a fordson major back hoe, but I will service those grease paths to get them flowing again.

Where are high pressure grease applications found?

undy

Mike,
Perhaps it has less to do with the application than the grease. One of the characteristics of various types of grease is it's "pumpability". With low pumpability grease, it would take higher pressure?? Other concerns would be consistency and temperature, I'd guess.
Any grease gurus out there who know better?

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a hand squeeze tube of high pressure grease and it gets used on my lathe and trailer hitch ball.
jim
DSC01692.jpg

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
mike where I find I need super high pressure grease is track adjustment on large construction equipment I would have suggested buying a dewalt because every body owns 18v dewalt tools but you already have milwalkie tools so I see no problem with using their gun there is a lot of money saved if you don't need to buy a new battery and charger.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Right don, the biggest thing I pump grease into is a dozer, Can I use this 8000# grease gun on a John deere 850 to tension the tracks. I have done it by hand with a lever gun.

the hand grease gun I used had no trouble. did anyone every put a pressure gauge on their grease gun.?

I have a stuck zerk on a utility trailer shackle and I can't force grease into it. but that is a mechanical fault. that particular fitting will accept no grease. I have a 12" handle and I am not the biggest guy, but I feel like the handle will bend if I go anymore.
I have used hand grease guns to push stuck pistons out of cylinder bores but again I really don't know how much pressure I am putting out.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Tightening tracks and pushing pistons is an easy task with most any grease gun. The magic is in the cross sectional area of the piston you multiply by the gun pressure to get the total force. The bigger the piston, the less pressure you need to make big force.

There are lever styles out there with a compound linkage with a rather large bulb on the back of the gun. They are sold as being able to force grease into a plugged zerk, grease channel. Same deal, a large diameter piston, with great leverage applied makes big pressures. Not worth the bother IMHO. I have 12V Alamite guns, and they make lots of pressure, some times backing out driven in zerks..

Regards, Kirk

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
I know this much my pneumatic guns wont adjust tracks on large excavators but my dewalt will most lever types will to. wished I could get a large capacity gun that would use pails like my pneumatic, that could make the pressure of my electric gun.the tool manufactures make a little pistion tool you smack with a hammer to force grease where you don't have enough pressure gun to lube a component

samwe

My Muskeg came from the slope and had something thinner in the wheel bearings. Looked like ATF.

I heard this was common in cold areas.

We replaced it with gear lube, I forget the weight, as we will be using it in warmer climates. So far we only use it on the Rex trail and my property in Petersville.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
at the advice of a local road equipment retailer, I just switched all my trailers over to Gear lube. so far I like the idea.

On my imp and ST-4
I found a synthetic marine blend that claims is -40 to 400 degree heat range I am going to pump a case or two of that into these snow machines and see how that works.

BTW, I see you are from E.R AK I now know where eagle river AK is. Spent a night in a crappy micro-tel there. on an upside we had one of the best meals on our trip at a little cafe hiding near a hardware store, the wilderness perhaps?

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
I heard from some old truckers they would fill grease tubes with stp and cool it to pump into their u- joints up on the slope