• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Thiokol Spryte Turning Radius

Sierra M37

What's the difference between a Wide Track and non WT? I'm looking at both in considering to buy - One is a 1200WT and the other a 1202b. I like that the 1200 has an Auto, 40 gallon tank and a blade, but it's $4K more than the 1202 with 4 speed and pretty much stock.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Do you need the wide tracks for the snow you receive?

If so, is the 4K difference really that much?

Both machines can lock a tack and turn in their own length. The auto trans machine would be my pick.. especially with the blade on it.

So it just depends on how you will be using it, for your needs.

Regards, Kirk

jo5

You should feel bad when you buy something
Not every time you use it
Over the life time of the machine a little more money doesn't mean much if it's a better machine for your needs
The auto trans is worth the extra money in my book
The blade is a real plus in a lot of applications and can be taken off if not needed
Guess it depends on need and conditions
I had a 1200C for years and was probably the overall best cat I've had out of the six cat I've had

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
first you can not lock a track the oc diffs will lock the differential and cut the inside track by 20% and increase the out side track by 20 % giving a 40 % difference in drive speed causing a turn the narrower less aggressive tracks work better on hard packed snow the deep j grousers were intended for soft powder and hook up so aggressively in hard snow that they will wear the inside belts way fast. I know after 2 full seasons my new inside belts need replacement holes are ovaled out and the belts have stretched well beyond the older outer belts. what you are doing with the machine in the end should dictate which track you want also steering diffs are nt all the same sprites used both the big oc 12 and the smaller oc-4 the 4's seem to be pretty good diffs fr use as a personell carriers but seem to need expensive rebuilds if used for grooming or towing. just a few thoughts from a owner of thiokols and snow tracs.

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
Here's a spec sheet. I realize it's an LMC sheet as opposed to Thiokol, but I think it provided more information. It lists the turning radius as 15' for both standard width and wide track models. It also highlights another issue; width. If you plan on trailering your machine the wide track will almost surely be considered oversize which has some limitations/considerations.

I'm not familiar with the Thiokol blades. The older Tucker 6-way straight blades are 8' wide and have two 9" bolt-on extensions giving an overall width of 9'6". The LMC sheet lists blade width of 10' and 12' but I don't know if they are fixed or adjustable.

Attachments

• lmc1200.2.gif
    lmc1200.2.gif
    79.6 KB · Views: 302

Northcoast

GOLD Site Supporter
For me an auto makes a huge difference,I can actually upshift on hills.,I ended up selling a really great cat for one with a blade. If you do sidehills,really helps. Could the tracks be cut down if you needed to trailer frequently?