• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Steering Diff In Military M548 or M113a1

Leadejon

GOLD Site Supporter
I was wondering if the Steering differential out of the m548 military tracked vehicle would be of any use. I could get my hands on couple but I thought they looked pretty big heavy units to be used in snow cat type of machine. I tried looking online some but cant find any info on them, if anyone has any info or links it would be good. Thanks

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
they are an over size version of an oc -12 if you could find one of the diffs for an a-3 model that would be a find

Leadejon

GOLD Site Supporter
what makes a-3 model ones better, I dont know what model it is exactly I know they have 6v-53 engine in the ones that I could get diff out of.

Would it be like oc-15 then? i think ive herd of them some were if not do you know what model diff it would be called.
Thanks

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
the a-2 and a-1 models just had a planetary steering diff the a-2 models had a 6v53 with with a tx-100 Allison transmission the a-3 models had a 6v53 t and a steering diff that worked more like a varriator and used a steering wheel I doubt you will see one of those as they are still in use and they are like an oc-12 0r 0c-15 the model should be Allison ds 200

Leadejon

GOLD Site Supporter
what do you think would be good price, I know everyone is different but just to get an idea im usually cheaper on what stuff is worth seems like. I think I could get couple pretty reasonable, it would be good to have since seems like oc 12 and 15 are spendy and hard to come by

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
those are quite a bit heavier than oc 12 and 15's they also have a goofy 90 degree drive mechanism on them. they should sell for about the same as a tank diferential which is what you find in the larger rigs like a nodwell. I would epect they should ne worth 3 grand maybe more I bet Brad could give us a better idea as his outfit builds rigs with similar differentials

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
what do you think would be good price, I know everyone is different but just to get an idea im usually cheaper on what stuff is worth seems like. I think I could get couple pretty reasonable, it would be good to have since seems like oc 12 and 15 are spendy and hard to come by

A great price would be it's weight and salvage value, at the price of scrap.

A good price would be 2 times that.

At 3 times the great price you start asking questions about the deal.

IMHO, that is how I would look at it. Just my opinion how ever.

Regards, Kirk