• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Ballast Resister for 1971 Ford 200

caldonia

I need to replace the ballast resister in my
Nodwell. What are the pros and cons of the present rotor, points and condenser seat up versus an electronic ignition system? I am trying to learn about these two systems. Thanks for any input you may have.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I made the switch in my bombi and it run the same. I kept the old in my toolbox on the machine. I would suggest buying the coil that matches it.
jim

I would say that if you can get an electric ignition system that works in your application to go for it. Can't imagine a pro to points vs. electronic.

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
I have the electronic points in 2 'cats ( Ford 300/6 and Chrysler 230 ) and they work great but still need the resistor or a resistor wire like Chevy uses.
It's a $5 part.

rcc

I switched to Pertronix Ignitor electronic system in my three Bombardier J5's and they work perfect. Get rid of the ballast resister, points and condenser. Good instructions and about 30 minutes to complete. I also replaced the coil with there high voltage coil to deliver a much stronger spark and I installed their ignition relay switch so the system gets full voltage without volt drop when you turn on all the lights and fans and other acc. Pertronix has all the items. More power and fast instant starts hot or cold.

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I swapped my chevy 283 few years ago in the Tucker. Used MSD and crane cams. Prior to swapping the whole distributor to the msd modern I did a crane cams electronic conversion which worked great.

Only upside in my book.

willd

http://www.gofastforless.com/

Check out the ignition area. Tells you how to use a GM HEI module or Chrysler Module with your points. It turns the points into a switch that uses almost no electrical current so they will last almost forever and gives you much better ignition qualities. You can get the modules from Rockauto for a good deal and even adding in the expense of all the parts it will set you back less than a conversion kit. The plus side is that you can re-route the wires and run on your points if anything ever fails.