• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Tucker 442 hydraulics

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Have this problem I would like to solve with a leak in my cat. Leak is due to the return fluid force splashing up on the lid and vent.

The pump on it has three output lines and matches the build sheet.
1.steering
2. Doing nothing back to tank
3. Doing nothing back to rank

One of the lines not current in use went to a drag on back. Other was not in use when I got it. I have since removed the drag lines.

The return ports on the tank are located one on the side used for the steering. Two on the bottom which non used are for. Suction pulls from bottom.

The higher the rpm the motor is Running the more force the bottom lines return and splash up like a geyser.

Other than changing the pump to a single out put what can I do here ?

Don't think I can just block off the two unused ports at the pump then plug the tank holes.

Some sort of splash battle?

The problem is more annoying than anything it doesn't leak mich but enough and hills make it worse from the vent.

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Pump pic

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 219

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a self propelled sprayer with a Cummins engine. The tank has a sheet metal baffle over the return to the tank lines...

I don't suppose there is any way to put something like that in you tank?

Maybe something be made up, that would go into the tank through the bung the returns enter the bottom of the tank. Then put the line back on...?

With the tank sitting on it's side I can see why you are having the issue. It surely would help if the tank had the lid on the top side. Unless the pic is turned 90 deg.. But you knew that already.

Regards, Kirk

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Here is what I know. (or at least think I know) Take it for what it is worth. I bought a tucker without a pump and been designing since.....

The pump has an inlet. Biggest fitting

the vane pump creates (priority) with either a vickers pump refered to on your build sheet as a V20 *P* for pressure or an *F* for flow.... Tucker had both available.

The ports are marked T I and P. (they are stamped on the end cap look close you will see them)

The controlled or Priority port is the steering port. When that circuit reaches its intended flow or pressure the excess is wasted or routed to the tank.

The aux port is HOT or Full pressure off of the pump and it is relived internally, at the AUX valve bank under the seat/cab.

I have the exact opposite situation you have. I have no excess flow out of my pump. (unless I horse the steering while not moving) I had my pump serviced prior to installing. it is a simple spring and tapered seat. You can see the set screws are in your first picture. The restricted port is your steering port the Open port is the AUX port.

My steering is super awesome it relieves when I am sitting still and is buttery smooth while moving.. I have and still do think that your aux and steering ports are reversed.. If not, then your pilot in the pump cap may be stuck.

Keep up the good work, You work fast that is for sure.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I just noticed something else.

What is your pump speed. the factury pulley on my build sheet had an 8 " pulley speced.

YOur sheeve looks smaller. the 318 is one to one.

Is it possible that you are over spinning the pump?

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Looking at it I have T which goes to steering. T which goes right back to the tank no aux cab valve involved.

Then a third unknown letter port goes to the steering. There is also a 4th port on bottom plugged. Don't see any letter

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
This is the pump. Also looks like steering port might be I.

The picture with the serial is the steering line.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 201

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
Redsqwrl, my understanding of the Vickers pump is different than yours.

The "P" in Vickers "V-20P" means "priority" and the rear of the pump has a priority valve rear cover. The V-20 series pumps are built to specification in terms of their output. Depending on your Tuckers options, the output is different. For example, I have one with a front blade and its output is 11 GPM and another machine with no blade and its output is 8 GPM (neither has rear hydraulics). The output is rated at 1,200 pump RPM and it's linear; meaning at 2,400 RPM the outputs are 22 and 16 gallons respectively.

Tucker uses the priority valve rear cover and it takes the first 4 GPM of output for the steering function, and only 4 GPM, regardless of RPM and output volume.

The diameter of the dual groove pulley on the pump is 8" and the pulley on the harmonic balancer has a 6" diameter. The effect of this difference is to slow the pump RPM down relative to engine RPM. Vickers recommends a maximum RPM of 2,500. The ratio results in 3,333 engine RPM equaling 2,500 pump RPM.

The Chrysler 318 Industrial engines come from Tucker with a King-Seely velocity governor to limit engine RPM.

labradorshooter

here is what V20P 1P11T 1C 4D means on your pump.

V20: v20 series of pumps
P: priority valve & relief
1: 2 bolt sea "A" mounting flange
P: 1.25" NPT input
11: 11gpm@ 1200RPM & 100PSI
T: Primary outlet port (IE your steering) 3/4"-16, secondary outlet 7/8"-14, relief to tank 3/4"-16
1:straight keyed input shaft
C: Primary outlet is inline with inlet port.
4: 4GPM to your primary outlet/ steering in you case.
D: 1000PSI relief.

according to your pictures and what you say either someone rotated the head from the factory spec (done very easy and quite often. just remove the 4 bolts, turn to desired place and reinstall bolts) or your steering and return line is mixed up. I'm betting someone turned the head on the pump. EDIT: I just looked at the manual again and its showing the port with the flat boss for stamping the pump info as the tank port, so your lines could very well be mixed up!

as for the oil problem consider draining the tank and seeing if there is a way to put a 90* elbow on the return inside the tank, looks like you might be able to fit your hand in the fill hole.

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Found this nice little tool you just type in the letters and it tells you what you have:

http://www.eatonpowersource.com/pro...r/pumps/v20/#/h:82201/p:1/ps:24/sb:PartNumber

My issue is I have some letters on my pump that are not options on the tool?

No option for the 4 (must be gpm) and no option for the I 1. Going to email them but I think we can all agree the steering port is inline with the inlet and the rest dump to tank.

Sounds liek a baffle is in order. Think I can attach a splash guard to the filter.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Redsqwrl, my understanding of the Vickers pump is different than yours.I think we agree. see page three from the enclosed build sheet.

The "P" in Vickers "V-20P" means "priority"P= pressure, F = Flow, Both are priority type caps and the rear of the pump has a priority valve rear cover. The V-20 series pumps are built to specification in terms of their output. Depending on your Tuckers options, the output is different. For example, I have one with a front blade and its output is 11 GPM and another machine with no blade and its output is 8 GPM (neither has rear hydraulics). The output is rated at 1,200 pump RPM and it's linear; meaning at 2,400 RPM the outputs are 22 and 16 gallons respectively. my understanding is that tucker used 8-14 as normal in 75'-77' years

Tucker uses the priority valve rear cover and it takes the first 4 GPM of output for the steering function, and only 4 GPM, regardless of RPM and output volume.I agree, Im no expert but I think it returns the excess to the tank, I think, that is true on the F pumps. on the P pumps the steering port is severly restricted to limit flow but the pressure is what is controlled. Ball versus tapered seat under the plug and spring.

The diameter of the dual groove pulley on the pump is 8" and the pulley on the harmonic balancer has a 6" diameter. The effect of this difference is to slow the pump RPM down relative to engine RPM. Vickers recommends a maximum RPM of 2,500. The ratio results in 3,333 engine RPM equaling 2,500 pump RPM. this why I inquired about the sie of his 283 HB pulley. the pump pulley looks about 6"ish

The Chrysler 318 Industrial engines come from Tucker with a King-Seely velocity governor to limit engine RPM.
this is MIA on my machine

Attachments

• pump specs.pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 77

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Found this nice little tool you just type in the letters and it tells you what you have:

http://www.eatonpowersource.com/pro...r/pumps/v20/#/h:82201/p:1/ps:24/sb:PartNumber

My issue is I have some letters on my pump that are not options on the tool?

No option for the 4 (must be gpm) and no option for the I 1. Going to email them but I think we can all agree the steering port is inline with the inlet and the rest dump to tank.I am going to beat this line mixed up thing once more... (Only because I kicked my ass hard for most of the late summer) Like BF mentioned that cap can be put on four ways... (oh and if you take it off, there is a spring that is happy to send the cap flying keep a good push in on it while you turn it) Two of the ouput holes are across from each other. One is different from the other. I took me four inquires and lots of questions before my kindergarten education kicked in and I noticed that one hole was different than the other. the 1/2 O ring fittment steering hole is the tiny one. the Aux one is not restricted. it is drilled full size.... You mention that the steering port is inline with the inlet, YES, BUT, It very well could be 180 degrees away from it. there is a dorky red head who bought a tucker without a pump and sourced a pump from tucker, changed the shaft, installed it, and had your exact problem. I will be up at my machine later this week, I would be happy to pull my pump off and snap some photos of the caps with the lines removed(I really dont want to do that, but willI will at least get the I, T, P for you.

Sounds liek a baffle is in order. Think I can attach a splash guard to the filter.

This might be a messed up message

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
So a friend reached out to hydraulics shop and I did a little more research. I might have the rotation wrong in my modern choice at L but R was an option also other than rotation and design series everything matches and makes sense: http://www.eatonpowersource.com/products/configure/pumps/details/574834-7/#/h:82201/s[1]:V20/s[2]:p/s[3]:-1/s[4]:p/s[5]:11/s[6]:T/s[7]:_/s[8]:-1/s[9]:C/s[11]:D/s[13]:-L/s[14]:_

There is a T marked on the outlet next to the suction inline which should be the priority at 4gpm. Next to the priority outlet another T which is the tank dump makes sense to spill out the over flow. In the back is another aux port which has a 3/4 npt thread.

Think this is correct and if I recall this aux rear line went to the hydraulics.

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Eaton was kind enough to respond to me. Also my pump is hooked up correct. Aux port is in the back. One port is a priority which is hooked to steering other is back to tank in bottom which is causing the splash effect. Going to test a splash guard this week. Attached is a pic of the port identification.

"I’m going to say that’s an 11 at the end, the design code. Current is the 12 design.

4 = GPM D = 1000 PSI on the priority port.

Item Description Model Code Status Site Item Type Price
List Availability / Leadtime
574834-3
V20P 1P11T 1C4D 12 V20P 1P11T 1C4D 12 AC GW VICKERS 1,027.00 (On Hand) 0 / (LT-working days) 40

Attachments

• Pump.jpg
    Pump.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 122