• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Bowman Lake, California - DMC1450 trip

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Gonna start by saying hello to all fella snowcatters... :)

Miss hanging out w/you all and talking about "cat" things as we did at the Jamborees... Felt like we were on another planet, didnt it? :)

Anyways, I figured it was time to refresh our memory of what that white powdery cool stuff really feels like and write up a little report on my last trip out into Sierra Nevadas, while being a new guy on the block in California.

Locals (Californians) been telling me it must be my Oregon love for the snow that got them all this white stuff this year :whistling:, in any case, I'm sure glad California is seeing all that extra precipitation, since drought has been hard on it.

For the first time this season, I've got enough belief that it was enough snow on the ground up in the Sierras to take the cat out, let it "stretch" its track rubber, and get those bearings a workout.

Loaded the cat on the trailer and headed out East on I-80

12375129_10205720452159552_1860197399627122463_o.jpg

when we came to a "dead end" (basically a 7ft pile of snow that was blocking the road from the guy below plowing the road) - we figured it was time to get the cat off the trailer, and start our "snowcat adventure"

10818378_10205720459319731_1305342125196025159_o.jpg

Tom (guy on the blue truck, Tom Peterson if I remember his last name correct), has a house on this road (or is it just a LARGE cabin), thus he takes the pleasure (and the bill) for clearing the road in order to access the property, and let his neighbors have the same pleasure.

It was fun to chat with him about whatever, and get a card from him with his number in case we need help getting out of "trouble" as he said, since he is tired of "uneducated folk" going out into these conditions and get lost, or end up dead... (those werent his exact words, but I've translated it all into more PG13 version of his speech)...

We laughed about it all, and told him not to worry much, cat was pretty reliable to best of my knowledge, and I believe I was knowledgeable enough to get it working if something was to go wrong being that I've "put it together".

Up the trail we went...

12377706_10205720450839519_8952933012593275758_o.jpg

Plenty of powder we found... cat performed great

12363168_10205720460079750_6887730648171293777_o.jpg

1941485_10205720460479760_7763650904569180733_o.jpg

Coming around the turn...

12374829_10205720462559812_7787998761361010642_o.jpg

Once we got to Bowman Lake, or rather Dam... we hooked to the right, and parked to settle in for our day camp...

Sat around fire, talked "trucking business" and had some drinks with kebab (those who tried it at last years Jamboree know what I'm talking about) :biggrin:

12363026_10205720463239829_4499482541435670086_o.jpg

its pretty empty in California...

12363021_10205720466919921_2830572204105140916_o.jpg

as it was getting a bit darker, we heard a "diesel roar" up in the woods, and that this thing showed up, sorta scaring us with its size... :yum:

12374900_10205720463599838_377482152075152780_o.jpg

I guess Tom wasnt kidding when he said he was most likely gonna drop by and visit... :clap:

His crowd and us exchanged some good chat by the fire, toasted to the great winter season, talked about our "presidents" and machinery.

For the most part, I think all CAT owners will find something in common to talk about, as well as find that they have a LOT in common overall :w00t2:

Somehow our chat came about him wanting to check the cat out and offering me some $$$ that same night if we were to drop by his cabin on the way out... I told him that I'm not ready to make any deals considering we were both a bit "happy" on the Grey Goose and mountain air...

In any case, trip was great, we enjoyed our time out...

Next morning (Sunday) got a text from Tom's neighbor asking to see if I was still wanting to sell it, as he is interested as well. So after New Years, there is a chance it might be sold if we find a good solid ground of the right amount of Benjamins :yum:

I'll do my best to get the video working in the next "reply"

Merry Christmas everyone & Happy New 2016 Year!!!

I wish upon you all many blessings from above, richness in health, wisdom in finances and fullness of love in your families and your personal lives!!!

God Bless!!!

Nikson

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Some or a lot of Russian jibberish, but ENGLISH is in the video... HD quality, full screen doable... Sound of the exhaust is amazing (IMHO)

Have fun!!!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ceIgF7EkdY"]Snowcat Adventure into Sierra Nevadas snow - YouTube[/ame]

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
very enjoyable video.

I guess you have your answer now on the vibrations of the 1450. the cabin seems very quiet and smooth in the packed snow at the last of the video.

I too like a straight six..... diesel or gas, Just has a nice tone to it.....

Great outing.....

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
very enjoyable video.

I guess you have your answer now on the vibrations of the 1450. the cabin seems very quiet and smooth in the packed snow at the last of the video.

I too like a straight six..... diesel or gas, Just has a nice tone to it.....

Great outing.....

Yeah, more powder softer it is... Still kept me entertained with the idea on the torsion axle conversion...

Engine seems powerful enough, yet still could have more torque... (I guess that goes for everything)

Northcoast

GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks for posting your trip,looks like you guys always have a great time! So if the sale goes through,what is your next cat going to be? Open invitation to come to Auburn and try out a tucker!

ScottMX68

That's right up the road from me I snowmobile out there and take my tucker out. Lots of cats in that area for cabin owners. Toms cat is sweet, he has a couple of them. Very cool. I was actually up there yesterday and today. Where did you come up from?

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks for posting your trip,looks like you guys always have a great time! So if the sale goes through,what is your next cat going to be? Open invitation to come to Auburn and try out a tucker!

Not sure on the next cat, still weighing out the option and "do & donts" of the sale as well...

Out to Auburn to try out a tucker? Would love to, just gotta get the dates figured :)

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
That's right up the road from me I snowmobile out there and take my tucker out. Lots of cats in that area for cabin owners. Toms cat is sweet, he has a couple of them. Very cool. I was actually up there yesterday and today. Where did you come up from?

I live in Sacramento, we camped few times in that area this past year, but this was my first time on the cat out there. Had a blast hitting that perfect virgin powder.

Tom was a great company! Seems like he's got his hands full... :)

ScottMX68

when was this trip? We got more snow now but it's slowing down. Did u check out his "cabin" it's beautiful and quite large lol

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
when was this trip? We got more snow now but it's slowing down. Did u check out his "cabin" it's beautiful and quite large lol

This was couple of weekends ago., hoping this winter will be plentiful with snow for everyone that needs it, especially our Pacific side, even Oregon was in drought this year.

I never got a chance to see the cabin, we came by in the night, and lights were out, didnt want to wake anyone up...