• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Snow Trac replacement BRONZE drive sprockets

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Basically if my math is correct the cost will be the roughly the same as J&T sprockets plus shipping except the sprockets will be full size not 25% shrunk.

mIke

SO my new J&T sprockets are undersized 25%?:pat:

Wow I could have had a V8:unsure::whistling:

Thanks for the news?

Regards, Kirk

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
the pattern makers state that 25% number, but I think that is the scale they select to dimesion their work.

the foundry guy just said Oh yeah, it shrinks! and that if we loose or free molded the Already once before copied sprocket that the seven holes would not be able to be located on the tabs as they are located close to the edge already.
Copy of a copy would be bad.

I am going to sit tight and see what other options pop up.

was the drawing of the poly option that was shared earlier last year dimesioned?
Mike

Sno-Surfer

I'm still looking for a good set of bronze drive gears for the two band model.
If anyone makes an order of new ones, I would like to get in on it.
With what looks like two events going on this winter, I'd like to make sure things are ready to roll.
Thanks!!

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Agreed. I am holding off till I get a chance to chat this up more. Input from all parties is appreciated.

Mike

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
the new sprockets I got came without holes. it wasn't a big deal and easy to align and drill

Sno-Surfer

No holes are fine with me. Please keep me posted of any available sprockets.
Thanks all and looking forward to another get together.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
I am researching some other type of material right now. I will let you know here a bit later if we might have something available.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
OK here is what I need. I need a NOS or as close to New Old Stock Sprockets for the older style. I have a company that will produce them in a very stout and proven plastic type of material. SO who can send me one sprocket? We will use this as the base to get all of the dimensions from. I have a set of NOS newer style that I will use for those measurements. We will be able to provide sprockets as needed from here on out. Just need help getting one of the older style sprockets that is in great shape.

teledawg

OK here is what I need. I need a NOS or as close to New Old Stock Sprockets for the older style. I have a company that will produce them in a very stout and proven plastic type of material. SO who can send me one sprocket? We will use this as the base to get all of the dimensions from. I have a set of NOS newer style that I will use for those measurements. We will be able to provide sprockets as needed from here on out. Just need help getting one of the older style sprockets that is in great shape.

I have a set of 4 NOS ST-30A (old style) bronze drive sprockets on hand.

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter

What is the material? We can produce also from plastic or sheet bronze but
Sheet bronze would produce much waste. UHMW (ultra high molecular wear
Plastic)is used in sprockets and we have used them in mill conveyors for years
With very good success it's just that the cross section of the snowtrac sprocket
Is very narrow and would develop a very high pressure and therefore be higher
Wear on the plastic VS the bronze the bronze has proven it self

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
I agree they would wear faster than NOS sprockets. But they would still work and would need to be replaced sooner than NOS sprockets. Either way it would be the answer for some of us who need to get on the trails even if it is 2 to 4 seasons before they needed to be replaced. Mine are completely used up. I need a set of something and suspect these would work great. Its a fix for some of us until a set of Bronze Sprockets can be made for mass production.

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I agree they would wear faster than NOS sprockets. But they would still work and would need to be replaced sooner than NOS sprockets. Either way it would be the answer for some of us who need to get on the trails even if it is 2 to 4 seasons before they needed to be replaced. Mine are completely used up. I need a set of something and suspect these would work great. Its a fix some of us until a set of Bronze Sprockets can be made for mass production.

I guess if the price is real reasonable something to consider. But changing often
It not a real fun project and Murfy's law always prevails when you need It the most and you are the farthest you could be from anything. Unlike the Kristi's
They just break on the trailer so easy to wheel in the shop.:smile: or tent:yum:

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Snow Trac #268 in Wisconsin (Redsqurel :smile:) came with poly plastic drivers on it. Redsquel ran them for I think 2 seasons. They worked well enough, and who knows how long they actually did last. Much quieter than the bronze gears.. Over time they did eventually break down however. Still better that sitting waiting by a bunch however. :smile:

I am in Iowa and I have a new set of North Pole castings. I could put one out on loan. But Alaska is a long ways away if I had to come up there to get it back.. :whistling:

Regards, Kirk

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
don Snow trac nome, DDS, knew of the build of my sprockets. they were made with a router. I have a spare set that came with the machine. I operate that machine year round. (in a kind loving way) I don't have anything bad to say about poly sprockets.

I welcome sprockets in any material.

Mike

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
some of the liquid plastic they have at boing is as hard as soft steel. I wish I would have got the name of it. it would really be easier than casting with heat and may not shrink.
jim

3512b

GOLD Site Supporter
Steve at CAC Alaska is very up to speed on what we need, he going to have a real top end product for us when he done. plus a couple of our guys will be putting a lot of hr on them this winter to prove them.

we have a few leads on NOS sprocket here in Alaska so we are working on it,

this is his web site

http://cacalaska.com/index.html

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
Steve,If all else fails for you guys i can get the foundry that i use here in Franklin to make those sprockets at a reasonable price, i have had a bunch of stuff made by them and great people to deal with. I picked up 2 new lombard steering wheels today cost me $75 each !!:smile::smile:

nikos

don Snow trac nome, DDS, knew of the build of my sprockets. they were made with a router. I have a spare set that came with the machine. I operate that machine year round. (in a kind loving way) I don't have anything bad to say about poly sprockets.

I welcome sprockets in any material.

Mike

Hello everybody in the forum

In a visit in Athens last week, i went in Acropolis with my son and my wife. One of the most historical, archaeological, artistic and aesthetic sites in the city with the others exhibits and collections in museums and the Art galleries.

Anyway the main reason is that I found too many sprockets there in great shape.
Heavy duty marbles sprockets in many dimensions.
Too many modern constructors - sculptors and architects from Greece and all over the word, working there every day to rebuild of these stone marbles sculptures:hammer::hammer::hammer:.

I didn't ask the price of this marble sprocket, but if some want for his Snowcat, i can deal it.:yum::yum:

August..... September..... October..... November.. ..December.
The winter is coming.

Nikos

Attachments

• GOPR4818.JPG
    GOPR4818.JPG
    539.7 KB · Views: 388
  • GOPR4803.JPG
    GOPR4803.JPG
    444 KB · Views: 379
  • GOPR4807.JPG
    GOPR4807.JPG
    450.3 KB · Views: 385
  • GOPR4794.JPG
    GOPR4794.JPG
    590.7 KB · Views: 381

couchloafer

SUPER Site Supporter
Sorry all I have been busy. I will try to get to the foundry next week and see what they say about the molds I have.

willd

Put me down for a set of the later model type if you can get this worked out. For the right deal, I might buy 2 sets.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sorry all I have been busy. I will try to get to the foundry next week and see what they say about the molds I have.

If they give you static or you don't have the time to deal with them.

Send them this way, I feel real good about the foundry (union Brass and aluminum) here in WI.

The pattern Guy, can rework anything they would need.

As boggie stated anything is better than starting over.

Just to recap, With a dimensioned drawing, a production grade mold was 1600.
Mikes $.02

Sno-Surfer

Winter is coming. I'm getting nervous about finding a new set of sprockets before the snow flies.
Count me in as one that needs a set for the older two band style.
:flowers:

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter

Excellent. I also have a friend who will be getting a set of CAD drawings so we can produce the "plastic" ones. Are these the molds Lyndon had made?

teledawg

did you put in the centering tabs for the st4 center drums?

The initial idea is to make the tooth profile as thick as possible and cut a circular groove in the side of the sprocket for the drum to fit into instead of using the centering tabs. Will have to see how that works out on a prototype...

Sno-Surfer

Is anyone having any luck with getting new sprockets made yet?
I wouldn't mind doing some leg work if it will help. I'm near Portland and if I had a good sprocket I bet I could find a place to make some. But if others are already working on it, I'd rather go with that.
Winters real close now, I can feel it in the air. But I really need to get new sprockets before I feel comfortable taking out the snow trac for longer rides as my hard steel ones are wearing away my grousers.
Used, remanufactured, anything at this point would help.

Sprockets....anyone....two band style? :flowers: