• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Rare and unique BMU-2 (1968)

antiguogrumete

Prototype Armored Multipurpose BMU-2 (1968) Made in Spain.
Base and mechanical Land Rover 109.
Shielding built by MACOSA (Materials and Construction SA) currently GEC_ALSTHON

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZw6z98lEfE"]MBU-2 Military Vehicle (Prototype) [HD] - YouTube[/ame]

Attachments

• bmu-1.jpg
    bmu-1.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 247
  • bmu-2.jpg
    bmu-2.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 243

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Not much visibility out of that thing!

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Interesting truck, but unfortunately when armoring any standard vehicle the weight tends to be one of the biggest issues. The most successful were purpose built, instead of adaptations, because of the weight. Of course back then they didn't have some of the modern lightweight material we have today.

antiguogrumete

Interesting truck, but unfortunately when armoring any standard vehicle the weight tends to be one of the biggest issues. The most successful were purpose built, instead of adaptations, because of the weight. Of course back then they didn't have some of the modern lightweight material we have today.

I think the same, but at that time, designers were seeking solutions for mounting to the chassis of the vehicles well tested and the result was not very suitable.
A Land Rover 109 can not weight 3 tons...

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm not a Rover expert, does the 109 have a steel frame + Aluminum body? Aluminum frame + steel body, or what?

While rugged, it seems to me that the older Rovers were designed to be light weight.

antiguogrumete

I'm not a Rover expert, does the 109 have a steel frame + Aluminum body? Aluminum frame + steel body, or what?

While rugged, it seems to me that the older Rovers were designed to be light weight.

According to this information, (sorry, in spanish)

Land Rover were manufactured in Spain by Metallurgical Santa Ana Linares (Jaén), under license from The Rover Company Limited.

http://www.pruebas.pieldetoro.net/web/pruebas/ver.php?ID=710.10

I think it was steel chassis and aluminum bodywork, so light weight.

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
My first 'car' was a '68 Land Rover 109 from England.
Steel frame and alum body.
Engine was pretty poor. Needed a valve job every 10k miles, rear differential failed, transmission failed.

I should have heeded that warning and not bought any more British vehicles...

antiguogrumete

My first 'car' was a '68 Land Rover 109 from England.
Steel frame and alum body.
Engine was pretty poor. Needed a valve job every 10k miles, rear differential failed, transmission failed.

I should have heeded that warning and not bought any more British vehicles...

A friend of mine had two identical classic British cars (I will not say the brand), he would say that one was to use and the other to have it repaired in the workshop ...

marchplumber

Site Supporter
Interesting grill. Never owned a British MV. From what you gents are typing, must be glad that I haven't.

God bless,
Tony

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
I was looking at a series 2 this fall thought it would be a cool project. the little british motor would have to go, and be replaced with a tbi ironduke. one would have to wonder about the rest of the vehicle is it worth it just to have something different.