Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN

Go Back   Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN > Off Topic Forums > Big Al's Lounge; aka The Happy Place Forum

Big Al's Lounge; aka The Happy Place Forum Warning: Happy posts & support posts only. Other posts will be removed. This forum is not for Jokes, they go in the joke forum.

Old 03-01-2014, 08:05 PM
Gold Member

Thanked 4,086 Times in 2,030 Posts
NorthernRedneck will become famous soon enough
Style: T66
Default Had to share this

Just thought I would share this. When I was younger, I used to attend a small baptist church regularly. I used to play guitar almost every weekend during the services. I stopped going when I was around 22. I missed it.

When I met my fiancee, I was happy to find out that she attends church regularly. I started attending with her. Our church has become a big part of our family. Once a month, we do a special friday eve supper and service for the kids. I started bringing my guitar and playing for them. Soon, I was recruited along with another nice lady to organize a childrens choir. Right after communion each week we take the younger children downstairs and sing songs with them. Every third sunday we have them perform a song in front of the congregation.

They also have a friday evening service. I had never gone to that one before. It's usually a smaller service with no music. I started practicing songs with two other ladies last week and tonight, we played the whole service. Two guitars and a flute. Three of us singing. It was great! I missed that. Starting March 22nd, we will be doing every saturday service. I'm excited! Just had to share this.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to NorthernRedneck For This Useful Post:
300 H and H (06-21-2014), Big Dog  (04-28-2014), BigAl  (03-02-2014), ChocoCat (06-21-2014), Doc  (04-28-2014), FrancSevin (03-01-2014), jim slagle  (03-01-2014), marchplumber (03-06-2014), Melensdad  (04-28-2014), Umberto (02-10-2015)
Old 03-02-2014, 01:20 AM
Super Moderator

BigAl will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Had to share this

It is wonderful to hear you are sharing your God given gift with others .
Sharing is a wonderful thing !!!

Disclaimer: Read with caution !!
Poster may be Bad Speller at times .
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigAl For This Useful Post:
ChocoCat (06-21-2014), mbsieg (03-04-2015)
Old 03-02-2014, 02:36 AM
Supported Ben Carson

squerly will become famous soon enoughsquerly will become famous soon enough

That is very cool Groomer. I wish I had some talent but it just wasn't in the cards. I'm lucky to play a CD without messing it up.
The Following User Says Thank You to squerly For This Useful Post:
MrLiberty (11-29-2016)
Old 03-02-2014, 01:23 PM
Gold Member

Thanked 2,303 Times in 1,167 Posts
EastTexFrank will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by squerly View Post
That is very cool Groomer. I wish I had some talent but it just wasn't in the cards. I'm lucky to play a CD without messing it up.
Can I use that quote? It describes me exactly.

Congrats Groomer, I'm glad to hear that you're getting some fulfilment from both your music and your church.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne as JB Books in "The Shootist".
Old 04-28-2014, 01:05 PM

taffboy is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Had to share this

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernRedneck View Post
Just thought I would share this. When I was younger, I used to attend a small baptist church regularly. I used to play guitar almost every weekend during the services. I stopped going when I was around 22. I missed it.

When I met my fiancee, I was happy to find out that she attends church regularly. I started attending with her. Our church has become a big part of our family. Once a month, we do a special friday eve supper and service for the kids. I started bringing my guitar and playing for them. Soon, I was recruited along with another nice lady to organize a childrens choir. Right after communion each week we take the younger children downstairs and sing songs with them. Every third sunday we have them perform a song in front of the congregation.

They also have a friday evening service. I had never gone to that one before. It's usually a smaller service with no music. I started practicing songs with two other ladies last week and tonight, we played the whole service. Two guitars and a flute. Three of us singing. It was great! I missed that. Starting March 22nd, we will be doing every saturday service. I'm excited! Just had to share this.
Great glad you shared this
Old 06-20-2014, 11:04 PM
Gold Member

Almost four months later since we first started playing the saturday services and we're still going strong. We now have 3 guitarists(me being one) and four vocalists(again, me being one). We also have someone playing tambourine and are looking for a drummer and bassist. We've been working on expanding our song selection and our sound equipment. I picked us up a 12 channel mixer board so we can plug all mics and guitars into one amp and adjust the sounds to each instrument/mic. We practice every friday night at the church for a few hours then play every saturday service.
This weekend, we are playing for a half hour at the local shelterhouse(homeless shelter). That is tomorrow afternoon. Then we head back to play the 5pm service at church. On sunday following the regular morning service the church is hosting a picnic. We are playing at that as well. I can sure feel it in my fingers already. Nice big calluses.
Old 06-21-2014, 12:25 AM
Gold Member

That is so cool man.

My wife and I have never been church goers although we have a couple of ministers and preachers among our friends. One Baptist minister and his wife are a particularly good friends. Although he probably recognizes me as an unrepentant sinner, he sees that I have a good heart.

Maybe it's because of our advancing years but we have been talking recently about joining a church. We both acknowledge that there is an empty corner in our otherwise full and satisfying lives.

I'm really glad that you found a church that fulfills your needs and that you can make such a worthwhile contribution to it. More power to you!!!!!

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne as JB Books in "The Shootist".
Old 06-21-2014, 10:18 PM
Gold Member

I used to go to a baptist church when I was a teen. I stopped going around the age of 19-20. When I met my fiancee, she informed me that she attends regularly and I started going with her. She has also been the treasurer of our church for the past 11 years. I started getting more involved. Someone there got wind of the fact that I play guitar. Next thing I know I'm playing every sunday downstairs with the children's choir.

I heard rumblings for a while how our minister was wanting to change the saturday evening service to more of a contemporary service with more modern music vs the traditional organ and choir. We started our services in march and they were an instant hit. The saturday services for the longest time had on average 5-10 people going to them. We've had over 50 people out at a few of the services. Since it's summer, the numbers have dropped off as people are out of town, out camping etc.

We just added a 4rth vocalist to our group last week. It's been amazing already. With the different vocal ranges we have now we are starting to do more harmony pieces. Not one of us is considered the lead singer or lead guitarist. We tend to practice the songs and decide who's voice is best suited for the song and go from there.
Old 06-27-2014, 01:55 PM
Gold Member

We played three times last weekend. Once at a local homeless shelter and twice at the church.
Seeing as our contemporary music service is now becoming more and more popular we started looking around for a set of drums to buy. We just purchased a set of electric drums. We already have a mixing board that can handle up to 12 different things at once. So. We can now plug in the drums and all mics and guitars into one amp and adjust the sounds as needed.
Best thing about our setup is its very portable. The drum set folds up small and can be stored away in a corner.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk
Old 06-27-2014, 03:29 PM
worn out farmer

muleman is just really nicemuleman is just really nicemuleman is just really nicemuleman is just really nice
Thumbs up Re: Had to share this

It is great that you can be a part of attracting more folks to Saturday services. Informal settings and music should be a real draw for younger folks also. Keep up the good service.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:16 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muleman View Post
It is great that you can be a part of attracting more folks to Saturday services. Informal settings and music should be a real draw for younger folks also. Keep up the good service.
That's the plan. Generally speaking, our church was more of a traditional style church and people were generally scared to venture out and try new things. Looking around on sunday I'd say 75%+ of the people there are over the age of 70. We didn't want to mess with the traditional sunday services but want to reach out to a younger crowd. The feedback we've received already is all positive. Seems people are more open minded than we thought.

Since it's summer time and most people are out at camp during the weekends our contemporary service was moved to wednesday. We have been using the drums during the service now. I guess you could call us an official band now. We have 3 guitarists, 5 people singing, and one on drums. We have expanded our equipement selection. The nice thing about the drums we purchased is that we hook them in through the sound board and we can adjust them so they aren't loud and overpowering. This way we still play the acoustic guitars unplugged so as not to drown out everyone there at the service.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:29 AM
worn out farmer

muleman is just really nicemuleman is just really nicemuleman is just really nicemuleman is just really nice

Having something that younger folks can enjoy and participate in will keep them coming back. Glad to hear it is growing and attracting them. The separate day is also a good idea!
Old 07-29-2014, 04:08 PM
Gold Member

Starting in September I will be teaching basic guitar to the younger people at church who are interested in learning. It will be just a laid back basic course.

As for the church band. I'm venturing out and bringing my 12 string guitar tomorrow.
Old 09-25-2014, 11:49 AM
Gold Member

Quick update. I taught my first ever guitar lesson yesterday. Three of the guys from church decided to dust off the guitars they've had laying around for years and bring them down. I started them off right from the very basics with how to tune a guitar. We then worked into some basic chords and how to transition from one chord to another. I have a feeling it won't be long before the guys are able to play a song. It's nice with a group of guys who all know each other and are just there for some no pressure fun and maybe learn a few notes.
The Following User Says Thank You to NorthernRedneck For This Useful Post:
Doc  (09-25-2014)
Old 09-25-2014, 11:56 AM
Gold Member

I'm glad that you keep updating this thread. In its own way it is inspirational that someone is reaching out to these young people. Thank you.

Old 09-25-2014, 12:27 PM
Gold Member

Thanks, I love being able to play in front of others and if I can pass that on to other people to be able to enjoy music, then that's great.
Old 11-08-2014, 07:22 PM
Gold Member

The lessons are going good. We're getting together every two weeks now to practice. I'm enjoying it and the guys are already learning to pluck a few chords. I'm hoping that by Christmas they'll be able to play a song.

On the band front...we're still plucking away every week and learning new songs all the time. We practice and set up every friday evening and play the saturday service. Our drummer has decided to take a short break for now. But we still have three guitarists and 5 vocalists. We also have a name for the band now and the church people all love it. We are now known as St. Paul's Ambassadors.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to NorthernRedneck For This Useful Post:
300 H and H (11-16-2014), Doc  (11-08-2014), JEV (11-08-2014), jim slagle  (11-08-2014), Melensdad  (11-08-2014)
Old 11-08-2014, 07:34 PM
Forum Admin

Thanked 11,244 Times in 4,708 Posts
Doc will become famous soon enoughDoc will become famous soon enough

Good for you guys. Most church groups for my church did not have a drummer anyway. I'm sure you can do without him.

Other Fun Forums:

Weekend Mudders + Net Tractor and RTV Talk + Net Cooking Talk
Old 01-17-2015, 09:52 PM
Gold Member

Still pluckin away every weekend. 2 and a half hour practice last night followed by two hours of playing today(quick run through the song list before service then the service followed by a short practice afterwards). My fingers are hurting tonight but it's worth it.

Our band had been asked to play a variety show coming up on January 30th. We will be playing three songs. The show will feature a variety of groups in the city. So we've been practicing extra every week and are really coming together as a unit vocally and musically. Turns out our former drummer would rather sing so we now have 6 singers, 3 guitarists, and a 12 year old drummer that rocks the drums better than most adults.

Ever see the movie "school of rock?" Well, this kid could perform on there no problem hands down. He plain rocks!
Old 01-18-2015, 12:40 AM
Gold Member

Glad to see that your music is still bringing you pleasure although it seems to be really hard work. I hope that the hard work doesn't detract from the fun.