• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Looking at boats

Bamby

We'll have to see what's available when it comes time to buy. I was also considering a deck boat but they are HEAVY to be loading on and off the trailer. I may have to spend the extra $ for a dock slip at camp if one becomes available. The deck boat is kind of a one stop shop. Aluminum hull like a fishing boat. 150hp. All the creature comforts of a pontoon.
Canadian eh!!!

A person in your condition does not want a deck boat. Deck boats may actually be the harshest ridding boats on the market. And after the newness wears off and the pounding persists owners are then happy to be rid of them and make them someones elses problem.

For someone in your situation a pontoon would be ideal, providing maybe the best ride in boating but lacking in coolness factor. So from there I'd recommend something heavy in fiberglass with enough weight to cut through the chop and provide a decent ride. Lite aluminum boats also tend to flow on top of the chop with a reassuring thump when the hull meets the water once again.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'll 2nd what Bamby said. If you can get a slip a pontoon would be ideal. Put it in the beginning of the season and take it out at the end. From my view that would be ideal for your family. Get to camp and the boat is already in the water.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Pontoons are great for that. They have their place. I want to be able to haul the kids around on the tube in the afternoon and also do some serious fishing again at different lakes.

Where we go every spring, there's no launch. You're at the bottom of a hill on a gravel road launching right off the side of the road were it drops down 4ft to the water where you wouldn't want to ever launch a pontoon. I want to have the option of hauling the boat to town and doing some fishing on the river.

As for fiberglass boats, we had a 21ft maxum when I was younger. Spent more time cleaning the thing than we did cruising. And a 10 mile round trip with a boat load of people chewed up 3/4 of a tank of gas. Plus aside from ranger boats for $100k, there aren't many dedicated fishing fiberglass boats. They have their place as well. Pulling up to a rocky shore for a shore lunch is no place for a fiberglass.

Canadian eh!!!

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Just for fun, I looked up lund fiberglass boats. They do make a fishing model with swivel seats live wells etc. But are almost twice the weight as an aluminum version of the same model.

Canadian eh!!!

Bamby

I wish you luck and I'll sure give you credit for at least one thing.. For all the challenges you face and need to overcome you sure as hell ain't willing to do any compromising...

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Yep. My two years of college back in the 90s for working with handicapped people sure helps me now. I have more knowledge than allot of people when it comes to adapting to disability and finding ways to live life to the fullest.

Heck, this morning I was shopping for boats online then headed out to get fitted for a wheelchair for rough days and a new lift chair with heat and massage. Then I headed over to my occupational therapist to talk about truck modifications to get the driver's seat that swings out and lifts a person from ground position up into the truck at the push of a button. To get into the boat from shore, I'm considering that as well. A lund bow sits much higher pulled up on shore and is higher to get into then say, a crestliner or princecraft due to the front slope of the bow. once I know for sure which boat I'm getting, I'll look for a way to modify the bow to accommodate a grab bar and step. Similar to the tailgate step on my f150. It has the built in grab bar and step on the tailgate to help me get up into the box of the truck. I used to carry around a two step ladder in the old truck for that purpose. I may just repurpose that ladder for the boat.

Canadian eh!!!

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Just for fun, I looked up lund fiberglass boats. They do make a fishing model with swivel seats live wells etc. But are almost twice the weight as an aluminum version of the same model.

Canadian eh!!!

With your injuries that weight is a plus. Aluminum boats, even at rest, bounce erratically on the waves. But all planning hulls do that. Even my son's 27' Maxum sun bridge cruiser. Which is why pontoons are likely your best choice IMHO
Flat deck with ample room and a smooth ride. A gentle roll at anchor

They really aren't that hard to set on a trailer

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I get what you're saying about pontoons. Down the road, maybe. But I see a pontoon more as case of launch it in the spring, tie it up to a dock when not in use. Load up all your friends and go for a nice leisurely cruise. Maybe do a little fishing. Unless you're rich and can afford a 24ft minimum with a 150+ hp engine on the back, you're not going to be pulling a tube or skier behind. And if you can afford one with enough power to pull a tube or skier, you aren't pulling it in and out of the water by yourself every weekend. Then there's storing something that big in the driveway. All that being said I do want one in a few years when the kids are older.

And fiberglass vs aluminum? As I said before, there aren't many fiberglass "fishing" boats under 20ft available up here. For every fiberglass at the dealership, there are 15 aluminum boats. Also, from what I've seen over the years, fiberglass boats up here don't hold their value. Used ones are usually beat up from pounding on the rocks. Most lakes around here don't get more than a 4 or 5 ft swell on the windiest of days. Usually it's a 2 ft chop on the water. And the boat traffic is minimal. The aluminum boats I'm looking at all have double hulls and are very stable. My dad has an 18 ft alumacraft with a 115 yamaha on the back. I've been in it on the roughest water I've seen around here and had no problem.

Canadian eh!!!

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I'm thinking that a deck boat might be the best bang for my buck. This one just bedcame available only 4 hrs from me. It's a 22.4 ft aluminum hull polar Kraft. Built in live well and rod storage for fishing. With a 225hp Suzuki it has enough power to get up on plane. It even has room for a porta potty. Casting deck in front for fishing. I'm hoping this is still available in a couple weeks. I should know more by then if I can start doing serious boat shopping. For now I'm doing my research on what would be the best option for my family.

I've read reports that deck boats ride rough. That may be the case but I'm rarely out in waves bigger than 2 ft. If I am, I slow down.
889d95f1962d811d6a99bf3085339b1b.jpg
2c42500915ea66ba0193243d9e8c04be.jpg
e8a3ba00d7144521dabc7908488c6bbf.jpg
474d63ef3378fb158b0c329e1ad0f40f.jpg
a7389e377acbc255713caf7b04b9cfae.jpg

Canadian eh!!!

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Looks good. Best of both worlds. They will haul a lot of people like a pontoon but they are easily trailerable so you can go from lake to lake like you want. Good luck.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Yeah. I'm still undecided on what to get. I like the idea of having the creature comforts of a pontoon once I get to my favorite fishing hole. Mainly for the wife and kids. And getting there quickly. Unless you are prepared to spend upwards of 50-60k on a triple float pontoon that'll handle a 150hp+ engine, you are limited to a crawl across a lake taking an hour to get to your fishing hole. They have their place.

Canadian eh!!!

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I get what you're saying/trying to relay. There's no easy answer for me. Will a pontoon work on the lake I'm on? Sure it will. But I can pretty much kiss any chance of fishing different lakes goodbye as I can't physically launch and haul it out by myself every weekend. Organized boat launches are next to non existent up here. Even on the lake our camp is on. It's nothing more than a rocky beach. Which is my main reason for avoiding fiberglass boats.

I like the idea of the pontoon floor plan that would allow me more room to walk around and such but don't want to be married to just one body of water for the summer like so many other pontoons I see. I do have my eye on a couple of different 19ft boats with walk through windshields and 150hp engines. We shall see. I'm not 100% set on a particular one just yet.

Canadian eh!!!

Bamby

It's OK I love capitalism myself and even in Canada you're free to buy what you want even though it may be a poor choice. And have made a few poor choices myself a time or two. So you go on ahead and get what your heart desires and makes you feel ecstatic. And when the newness wears thin and the realism sinks in and your're posting about your frustrations and seeking symphony concerning a boat you're unable to enjoy because of your discomfort I'll be sitting back in silence knowing I tried to discourage you before you bought into it.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Lol. Ok.

I'd keep the boat I have now. It's just too small and being a tiller I found it hard to operate being twisted around sideways. I'm ok in my dad's boat though. He's got an 18ft walkthrough windshield.

Canadian eh!!!

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Your Thread has piqued my interest. So, I've been looking at boats as well

How about this one.
main.jpg

A bit hard to trailer and launch but everything you need to stay aboard for months.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Sweet. Maybe when the kids are older. Lol. No way could I handle being trapped on a sailboat with 6 kids.

Canadian eh!!!

Bamby

10 types of boats and boaters for consideration....:unsure:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLVcWFJBy_Q"]Ten Types of Boaters you will meet on the water - YouTube[/ame]

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
So I've been bouncing back and forth between what type of boat to get. Yesterday I upped my search for something new. The candidates are....

https://images.app.goo.gl/oFHBgJFMsEZiyZiM9

https://images.app.goo.gl/jRxcLDEob66KhgJ88

https://images.app.goo.gl/frQRqHwhG1UfTAeQ6

I'm seriously considering the third option. The first two are 18ft while the third is a 20ft. The 20ft has a new sticker price of nearly $70k but as this is a 3 yr old demo, the price is $45k but it still carries a full warranty. The first two are nearly the same price but brand new.

Canadian eh!!!

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
10 types of boats and boaters for consideration....:unsure:

Ten Types of Boaters you will meet on the water - YouTube

Nice video. But let me point something out. I've been sailing since 1978.

There is a sailboat on the cover loaded with young barely clad chicks. Just like the HARLEY commercials have the sexy females hugging the young stud on the bike,,,; I AIN"T TRUE.

Most Harleys have an overweight bearded slug driving with a matching mate.

Same with sailboats.

However, jet skiis are another matter. But try catching one with a sailboat.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I'm trapped on a 30 footer with two kids. that's why I want a bigger boat.
Just for reference, this is what I'm upgrading from. Alright for 3 or 4 people on smaller lakes to go fishing but not for 5 kids and 2 adults. I want something to haul the kids around on the tube at camp in the afternoon then head out fishing in the evening. And I go to places where there aren't necessarily organized launches. I'm talking launching off the side of a dirt road. And having the ability to go to various lakes in the area. A 20ft is about the biggest around here that you'd want. Plus, I know that it will handle the biggest waves we see around here.

The new boat is bare bones now but will have a bikini top, mooring cover, bow mount trolling motor, and a few other add ons.
bf830286adce1e921bbc83dce7d3da12.jpg
d8a3d2fe10441e4bf2d7e691f53ffaea.jpg

Canadian eh!!!

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
When I'm boat shopping I tend to navigate to the barely used market. So many buy boats and do not have a slip or dock so they have to haul it to the ramp every use and take out at end of the day. These boats are normally not used as much due to all the work involved so they have low hours and are close to new condition. I find I can get more boat for the dollar this way. Bigger is better (to a point). 50' houseboat was too freaking big :eek: :yum:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I agree on the slightly used market. I did the same thing with the truck.

Bigger is better and you do get more bang for your buck by going slightly used. This boat is a demo. But the trailer and engine are new. So the only thing they can't warranty is the cosmetic appearance of the boat. It has a couple smaller scuffs from loading and unloading. That's it.

Canadian eh!!!
826368056fb7a242d4f663bef45313ba.jpg
d13d52508b74299f883586168ff64b9b.jpg
4db2c20de39366e0f70bec5c4101023f.jpg
2a9ac33744641416c1c10f6bd3e8b7b1.jpg
0e94b687f9a793b625b7a7ab32bd41ae.jpg
3d3f5900f241e6830f63fd95c207da97.jpg

Last edited:

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Your Crestliner is the rig I am looking to find for my grandson.

He wants to go fishing and his 15'canoe is not quite enough boat for the lake we are on. I plan on getting a small trolling motor ( electric ) for this season but next year he will want something more substantial.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
It's going to be for sale. Lol. I put 3 new seats last year. The subflooring has been replaced with marine plywood and carpeting. The engine hasn't missed a beat. I did repaint and redecal the engine cover 7 years ago as it was sun baked and stone chipped from years of being tied at the dock

Canadian eh!!!

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
That Starweld looks su-weet

When you get there. PM me with a price onyouoldboat.

Not sure about cross Canadian purchases. Did one once. That was fun:unsure: .

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
That boat should handle rougher water alright. Looking forward to getting back on the water. My crestliner hasn't seen much use the past four years other than the annual fishing trip in may. The starweld should be a good stable boat.

Canadian eh!!!

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I picked up the boat today. It has a custom mooring cover made for it. The bimini roof wasn't in yet. That's alright. I installed the numbers tonight. A friend of mine did up the decals. I was worried about hauling a boat that size. (Only because I'm not used to it) Needless to say I barely felt it behind my f150. That 3.5l engine was built to haul.
1898e3abe2f5173f84231a100cd3a4a5.jpg
4cb656f400969772c713589ea2332ac2.jpg
b02e25394dac1cb6ad7ffd241732b80c.jpg

Canadian eh!!!