Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN

Go Back   Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN > Agriculture & DIY Forums > DIY Forums > DIY Windows and Doors Forum

Old 09-05-2016, 08:05 PM
The Big Kahuna

Thanked 7,396 Times in 3,027 Posts
TiredRetired has a spectacular aura aboutTiredRetired has a spectacular aura about
Default Garage Doors!

I have triple layer 8' garage doors. Two of them. They are 4 section with each section having 4 raised panels. Very typical. For those that my not know, triple layer is no big deal. Metal outer, polystyrene insulation in the middle and metal on the inside to protect the insulation. Very typical.

My question is wifey wants the top section on each door replaced with a window panel. Will I need to go back to Overhead Door to get the panels or are panel fit standard and any will work? I plan on painting them so color match is not an issue.
Old 09-06-2016, 11:52 AM
Bronze Member

jwstewar is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Garage Doors!

I had to replace the top panel on one of our Wayne Dalton doors after it froze to the ground and the opener tried to open the door. It ripped the whole top off the door. The store was very picky one what numbers they needed and what panels I wanted. So based on that, I would say you will have to go back to Overhead Door with your model information.

Revelations 22:12 And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be.
Old 09-06-2016, 02:37 PM
Bronze Member

Thanked 3,087 Times in 1,420 Posts
MrLiberty is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Garage Doors!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredRetired View Post
I have triple layer 8' garage doors. Two of them. They are 4 section with each section having 4 raised panels. Very typical. For those that my not know, triple layer is no big deal. Metal outer, polystyrene insulation in the middle and metal on the inside to protect the insulation. Very typical.

My question is wifey wants the top section on each door replaced with a window panel. Will I need to go back to Overhead Door to get the panels or are panel fit standard and any will work? I plan on painting them so color match is not an issue.

Yep, pretty sure you will have to go back to Overhead Door and get that, plus they will have to install it.

Now, if I were you I would get a couple of old portholes somewhere, hand the wife a jigsaw and tell her to have at it......

What we tolerate today our children will embrace tomorrow