• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Snowstorm is looking bad for western Pa. and NY

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
They keep upping the forecast and say it will be like the one we got last fall. I have been holding off mounting the plow on the truck but it seems inevitable now. My neighbor works for the town and the one new dump truck is at the dealer in Rochester for computer problems so road plowing may be a little lacking tomorrow. They just used up the snow days built into the school calender with an extended spring break this past week.:yum: Sure glad I brought plenty of nice dry wood under the woodshed with the skid steer before the rain hit. Got the winter boots back out along with a heavy coat and will make a second try at firing up my generator in case the power dies. As long as we have electric and internet all is good. I even put an extra bale of hay in the henhouse for the chickens as I am sure they won't like swirling snow tomorrow. It figures we will get half a winters worth in one final storm after this warm snowless winter.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Kinda sucks there mulie...

But we all take what we are given. The applle crop here has been damaged, cann't tell just yet how badly. Snow right now here wouldn't be a good thing either as some early planted corn is up.

The Walnut trees here are black or barren, as the frost took the leaves.

Regards, Kirk

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
No snow coming this way.. just wind..

Today: Overcast skies and windy. High 54F. Winds NNE at 25 to 35 mph.
Tonight: Windy with partly cloudy skies. Low 34F. Winds N at 20 to 30 mph.
Tomorrow: Windy with a few clouds from time to time. High 57F. Winds NNW at 25 to 35 mph. Winds could occasionally gust over 40 mph.
Tomorrow night: Windy. Mostly cloudy skies will become partly cloudy overnight. Low 36F. Winds NW at 25 to 35 mph.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm ready, I think.
Just read the forecast which is calling for winter storm warning (the watch is now upgraded) starting tonight.

Fired up the generators. Glad I did as one wasn't running right.
Rounded up 4 deep-cell marine batteries and a pair of inverters so I can run the wood stove fan without a generator should the power go out.
Brought some firewood to the house.

I just planted a pair of apple trees. They're about 7' tall. Hate to have them get damaged but can't think of anything practical except going out every couple hours after the storm starts and knock the snow/ice off the branches. I'm even concerned with that approach since me doing that may knock the leaves or entire branch off. Any ideas?

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I just planted 9 fruit trees. Just let them alone. The snow will protect them from wind burn. I was just out stacking wood for about an hour and it is damn cold with the north wind. 32F with a wind chill of 18 or lower. Going to be a bitch with the snow blasting around tomorrow.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I live in the hallow so we don't get much wind anyway.

Still around 40-45 here. They're saying it'll be wee hours of the morning before it hits the fan.

On a sidebar, tell me about your fruit trees. OTOH, I'll just start another thread.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
It has been snowing for the last half hour and they just increased the forecast again and moved the area a little farther east.:hammer: Going to be a mess. I ran the generator and have it sitting in front of the skid loader in case we need it.

Harrison Valley, PA Weather Advisories, Watches & Warnings

WINTER STORM WARNING
in effect until Tuesday, Apr 24, 12:00 PM

...A WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 10 PM THIS EVENING TO NOON EDT TUESDAY...
THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN STATE COLLEGE HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR HEAVY WET SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 10 PM THIS EVENING TO NOON EDT TUESDAY. THE WINTER STORM WATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.
* LOCATIONS...NORTHERN AND WESTERN MOUNTAINS OF PENNSYLVANIA INCLUDING THE LAUREL HIGHLANDS.
* HAZARD TYPES...HEAVY SNOW...ACCOMPANIED BY INCREASING NORTH TO NORTHWEST WINDS LATE TONIGHT AND MONDAY.
* ACCUMULATIONS...8 TO 12 INCHES...WITH LOCALIZED AMOUNTS BETWEEN 14 AND 18 INCHES ACROSS THE HIGHEST TERRAIN OF NORTHWEST PENNSYLVANIA AND PORTIONS OF THE LAUREL HIGHLANDS.
* TIMING...LATE TONIGHT THROUGH TUESDAY MORNING. THE HEAVIEST SNOWFALL RATES OF OVER AN INCH PER HOUR AT TIMES WILL OCCUR LATE TONIGHT THROUGH THE MIDDAY HOURS MONDAY.
* IMPACTS...EXTREMELY HAZARDOUS TRAVEL FROM PERIODS OF HEAVY SNOW AND POOR VISIBILITY. THERE IS GREAT POTENTIAL FOR WIDESPREAD TREE DAMAGE. THE FALLING TREES AND LIMBS WILL KNOCK DOWN UTILITY LINES...LIKELY CAUSING WIDESPREAD POWER OUTAGES...ESPECIALLY ACROSS THE HIGHER ELEVATIONS. ANY POWER OUTAGES THAT OCCUR IN RURAL LOCATIONS COULD BE LENGTHY.
* WINDS...NORTH TO NORTHEAST 15 TO 20 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 30 MPH LATE TONIGHT...BECOMING NORTH NORTHWEST AND INCREASING TO 15 TO 25 MPH WITH GUSTS TO 40 MPH MONDAY.
* TEMPERATURES...30 TO 35 DEGREES.
* VISIBILITIES...BETWEEN ONE QUARTER AND ONE HALF OF A MILE AT TIMES.
PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW MEANS A SIGNIFICANT AMOUNT OF SNOW IS FORECAST THAT WILL MAKE TRAVEL DANGEROUS. IN ADDITION...SINCE SOME TREES ALREADY CONTAIN NEAR FULL-FOLIAGE... THERE IS THE POTENTIAL FOR DOWNED TREES AND NUMEROUS POWER OUTAGES FROM THE COMBINED EFFECT OF THE HEAVY WET SNOW AND WIND. IF YOU MUST TRAVEL...KEEP AN EXTRA FLASHLIGHT...FOOD...BLANKET AND A CELLULAR PHONE IN YOUR VEHICLE IN CASE OF AN EMERGENCY. STAY TUNED TO NOAA WEATHER RADIO OR YOUR FAVORITE SOURCE OF WEATHER INFORMATION FOR THE LATEST UPDATES. ADDITIONAL DETAILS CAN ALSO BE FOUND AT...WEATHER.GOV/STATECOLLEGE.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
You're getting snow Bill? I'm looking at the radar from your area to mine and it shows us both getting rain. Oh, and how is it BigDog is right between us but getting nothing... yet.

I pulled 2 small generators up to the garage as a staging point. I have the wood stove going but without the fan keeping it cool, it can get ugly hot. I have an inverter and 2 charged batteries sitting next to it but trust a generator more then the inverter.

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
I dont know what to say other then I wish you all the best to all in the areas that will be getting hit , that much snow on trees that are allready leafed out is bad enough without the high winds. Best of luck & stay safe. :flowers:

Ironman

Well that sucks. :neutral: Best of luck Mule!

I can't remember how much snow we are supposed to get up here.:biggrin:

:whistling:

33a6khz.jpg

:yankchain:

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Geeze Ironman rub it in would ya!! Contemplating taking Tuesday afternoon off for a long bike ride but it is only going to get to 73 :yum:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
This is what we had when I went to feed the cows at 7:20. It is starting to get pretty white all over now.

Attachments

• snow.jpg
    snow.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 156

tommu56

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
It was colder (35) when we left the cabin at noon than when I got up at 6:00 but we didn't have any snow yet it rained all the way home

tom

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
We are holding at 29 now and it is snowing pretty fast. It is expected to really get going after midnight.

AndyM

Charter Member
The drive to work at 5:00 am should be interesting...
PennDOT is feverishing reinstalling their snow plows.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
The drive to work at 5:00 am should be interesting...
PennDOT is feverishing reinstalling their snow plows.
Everybody has been in grading and stone hauling mode up here for the past 3-4 weeks. Putting the plows back on especially wings is a pain. The local town is missing the new truck because of computer trouble with it. I may end up plowing our hollow if we need to get out. Won't be the first time. I just remembered tomorrow is my day for blood work at the cancer center. 52 miles to the hospital in this slop ain't happening.:hammer:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Keep us up to date if you can Andy. You, Nixon, Big Dog, Muleman, Luvs and I are are all in the path of whatever this storm is going to bring. We can communicate what's going on.

Oh, and it's misting here right now. Radar currently shows large glob moving from the SE and all places north of DuBois is now getting snow.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
We have about 4-5 inches and it had slacked off when I took these pics earlier. Now it is picking up again and we should get about this much again today. Just turned the snowmelt back on in the porch as it is very heavy wet snow. Those to the east of us have 2 hour delays for school but all are closed around here. I may end up putting the plow on yet but my BIL has very little in the valley where he lives about 10 miles SW of here. He is at creek level where we are at 1950ft. elevation. Sure is a damn cold wind for only 30 degrees and I dug out my lined pants and warm hat.

Attachments

• snow 001.jpg
    snow 001.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 135
  • snow 002.jpg
    snow 002.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 135

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Been snowing steady since before 6AM but it ain't laying very good, temperature is at 36F here. I'm usually up at 5 PM but the wife got up at 2:30 and let the dogs out. Luna took a full skunk shot to the head. You know what I was doing at 3AM so I slept in a bit.............. :whistling:

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
Been snowing steady since before 6AM but it ain't laying very good, temperature is at 36F here. I'm usually up at 5 PM but the wife got up at 2:30 and let the dogs out. Luna took a full skunk shot to the head. You know what I was doing at 3AM so I slept in a bit.............. :whistling:
Get out the Mesengill, works better than tomater juice. :whistling:

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
Big dog ,
1qt. 3% hydrogen peroxide , 1/4 cup baking soda ,1tsp of dish washing liquid makes a very effect solution for deskunkificating a dog ,or anything else.
It may take a couple of times over the period of a few days to produce permanent deskunkificating .

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Big dog ,
1qt. 3% hydrogen peroxide , 1/4 cup baking soda ,1tsp of dish washing liquid makes a very effect solution for deskunkificating a dog ,or anything else.
It may take a couple of times over the period of a few days to produce permanent deskunkificating .

We use peroxide ......... and we always have a lot of peroxide (6 - 16oz bottle minimum) just for this occasion and my shop wounds.