• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

200 lb propane tank

McG-75

I am trying to decide if i should rent a 200 lb tank from my supplier for $60/year or buy it outright for $350. How long should I expect my propane tank to last and what maintainance cost might I expect to pay over it's lifespan. It's exposed to the elements, which in the lower Hudson valley of New York State involves a bit of everything but nothing too extreme.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
My experiance has been that if your rent, you are locked into that supplier. This may not be a good thing depending on their price history relative to the rest of the supliers in your area.....

Tanks last a life time with little maintanence, maybe a paint job each decade or so. I would own them, if you want to shop price...JMHO.

By the way welcome to the forum. You may want to post in the introductions thread.

Regards, Kirk

Kane

I am trying to decide if i should rent a 200 lb tank from my supplier for $60/year or buy it outright for $350. How long should I expect my propane tank to last and what maintainance cost might I expect to pay over it's lifespan. It's exposed to the elements, which in the lower Hudson valley of New York State involves a bit of everything but nothing too extreme.
Me? I would go ahead and buy the thing for $350, or maybe offer less. Then like Kirk says, your supplier options are open. But be sure to consider the costs to have the tank delivered, give it a fresh paint job and set it up -- costs that a supplier would absorb to get your long term proprietary business.

rlk

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter

Two large national propane dealers that I'm familiar with want you to rent their tanks because then other propane dealers can't sell you propane. Once they have you hooked, they can raise their prices at will because there is no competition.

Like others have said, I had rather own than rent.

Bob

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Consider buying a 500 gal while your at it. Some time you can buy it off season for cheap, and have more on hand....500's are more common and my bet is per gallon of storage they are cheaper to buy than the 200 as well...

Regards, Kirk

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
There is no rental charge for my tank and they give me a fair price for prompt payment. With your options I would buy it. That price is not bad if they set it for you. I supplied the pipe and they supplied the regulator since my price on the pipe was better than theirs. I deal with a local dealer and they supply my diesel as well.

McG-75

Thanks for the input everyone. I was leaning towards buying it anyway. It doesn't make sense not to. I just was not sure if the tank needed any regular up keep that would add up over the years. A paint job is well within my capabilities.

Last edited:

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
the 200 pound tank is an asme tank and will require a re inspection about every 10 years which is a visual inspection externaly you will get no corrosion on teh inside as there is no oxygen inside teh tank keep the rust off the out side and keep it painted it will last you for ever. and yes my company is also the local supplyer for the long term buy it you will be saving money. and ypou arn't locked in to a supplyer

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'll pile on with those that say buy, but I'd probably do it a little different.

Instead of a 200 pound tank, I'd go with a pair of 100 pound and get an automatic transfer switch. (I have this setup in a couple places).

When one of the 100's gos empty, the transfer switch automatically switches to the other. I then grab the empty, toss it in the truck and go to whomever has a good propane price at the time.

I picked up the tanks new from Costco for around $100, used from CraigsList for under $50 and the transfer switch was around $60.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
that is a good idea becuse in most cases you can save your self the delivery charge that way.